What is the underlying mechanism of nuclear decay?

In summary, the decay of a neutron in a C-14 atom is a result of the various influences of forces and particles within the nucleus. This creates a higher probability for the neutron to decay, similar to how a rock at the top of a hill is more likely to roll down due to the force of gravity. This process is always happening virtually, but when it is favorable for the products to have less mass than the reactants, the reaction will occur predominantly in that direction.
csmcmillion
I think I understand the basics of the SM and know that the W and Z bosons are the mediators of the Weak Force. I also understand from chem the basics about nuclear stability (ratio of protons to neutrons, valley of stability/nuclear binding energy, etc.). What I'd like to know is what the specific mechanism of decay is. In very simplistic terms, how does one of the neutrons in a C-14 atom "know" the nucleus would be in a lower energy state of it were to decay?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'd personally say that it doesn't "know". It's just that when you add all the forces and mass and everything up together and do the math the neutron simply has a probability of decaying in C-14. I see it kind of like asking how a hockey puck "knows" that it has been hit by the stick. It doesn't know anything, it simply reacts to various forces. I guess this really depends on what you mean by "know".

Hopefully that makes sense and isn't blatantly incorrect.

Drakkith said:
I'd personally say that it doesn't "know". It's just that when you add all the forces and mass and everything up together and do the math the neutron simply has a probability of decaying in C-14. I see it kind of like asking how a hockey puck "knows" that it has been hit by the stick. It doesn't know anything, it simply reacts to various forces. I guess this really depends on what you mean by "know".

Hopefully that makes sense and isn't blatantly incorrect.

Yeah - I know it doesn't really know (I have enough physics background for that) - that's why I used quotes. There must be some mechanism - some physical influence that increases the probability.

csmcmillion said:
Yeah - I know it doesn't really know (I have enough physics background for that) - that's why I used quotes. There must be some mechanism - some physical influence that increases the probability.

Of course. It is a direct result of the different influences by forces and how they interact with various particles that make up the nucleus. Add in another proton and the probability vanishes and it's now the very stable nitrogen-15!

Edit: Sorry if that doesn't help much, I know what I'm saying in my head, but I have no idea how to get it across very well lol.

Drakkith said:
Of course. It is a direct result of the different influences by forces and how they interact with various particles that make up the nucleus. Add in another proton and the probability vanishes and it's now the very stable nitrogen-15!

Right. But since the strong force is mediated (between nucleons) by mesons, there must be some interactions b/t mesons and the W/Z bosons that triggers the decay. This may be overly simplistic, but you get the idea of what I'm asking.

csmcmillion said:
In very simplistic terms, how does one of the neutrons in a C-14 atom "know" the nucleus would be in a lower energy state of it were to decay?

How does a rock at the top of a hill "know" it would be in a lower energy state if it were to roll down?

Vanadium 50 said:
How does a rock at the top of a hill "know" it would be in a lower energy state if it were to roll down?

Come on guys, I know the rock doesn't know. Space pushes it into the lowest possible energy state. All I'm asking is what pushes a nucleon into decaying.

csmcmillion said:
Come on guys, I know the rock doesn't know. Space pushes it into the lowest possible energy state. All I'm asking is what pushes a nucleon into decaying.

I don't know how to answer you. All I can say is that it is more favorable for the neutron to decay than for it to stay a neutron. It sounds like your asking something similar to "Why do heavier things decay into lighter things instead of being stable?". I'm not sure that we know or can know.

This question has come up multiple times in various guises, regarding any reaction: A + B → C + D. Why does it happen? Not because 'energy is decreasing'. Energy is not decreasing, it's exactly the same before and after. But it's partitioned differently.

The reaction is always taking place virtually. Usually there is no net effect because the inverse reaction C + D → A + B is also taking place virtually at the same rate. This is analogous to chemical equilibrium. But when the reaction is 'favorable', i.e. when the rest mass of the products C + D is less than that of the reactants A + B, the kinetic energy of the products is positive and they can leave the scene, making the reaction go predominantly one way.

1. What is nuclear decay?

Nuclear decay is the process in which an unstable atomic nucleus releases energy and particles to become more stable. This can result in the formation of a new element or an isotope of the same element.

2. What is the mechanism behind nuclear decay?

The mechanism of nuclear decay is based on the principle of radioactive decay, which occurs due to the imbalance of protons and neutrons in the nucleus. This leads to the emission of radiation in the form of alpha, beta, or gamma particles, resulting in a more stable nucleus.

3. How is the rate of nuclear decay determined?

The rate of nuclear decay is determined by the half-life of the radioactive material. This is the amount of time it takes for half of the original sample to decay. The half-life can vary from milliseconds to billions of years, depending on the type of radioactive material.

4. What factors can affect the mechanism of nuclear decay?

The mechanism of nuclear decay can be influenced by several factors such as the stability of the nucleus, the type of radioactive material, and external influences such as temperature and pressure. Changes in these factors can alter the rate of decay.

5. How is nuclear decay used in practical applications?

Nuclear decay has numerous practical applications, including nuclear power generation, medical treatments, and dating archaeological artifacts. By understanding the mechanism of nuclear decay, scientists can harness its energy and use it for various purposes.