1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mechatronics - applications?

1. Aug 22, 2010 #1
    Hi. I'm 21 year old and I'm currently changing colleges. (I quit Managerial Physics after 1.5 years)
    The field of mechatronics seems very attractive to me in regard to its curriculum and the wide range of applications they say it has.
    I was wondering: Does anybody here have any real-life experience with Mechatronics?
    Where can you get employed? Does it pay off? Are there any promotion possibilities? (i.e.: Can you advance to managing projects, for instance?)

I really like physics but not the research cloud-nine type of physics but rather the applied, engineering kind of physics. I would love to make it the core of my career but first I'd like to be sure it'll pay off and that it'll give me the chance to actually contribute and see my contribution being utilized by people around me.

I applied for computer engineering (software) and was accepted (got all the points in the admission exam, as a matter of fact :-p), however, I then realized I'm more the nature oriented kind of guy and that I mostly just did it for money. Now it seems I could change it to Mechatronics if I act real fast.
    Any advice appreciated

Petr

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 22, 2010 #2

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Ref - http://www.rpi.edu/ewp/distance/courses/mane/mane_adv_mechatronics.html [Broken]

Probably most people interact with some system invovling mechatronics everyday.

Anti-lock breaks, auto-drive systems or anti-collision systems, even automatic garage door systems would be examples. Remote control systems, such as the Mars rovers, are another example.

This company offers various examples of mechatronic components.
    http://www.cedrat.com/en/publications/categories/device-systems/systems/mechatronics.html

The wikipedia article - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mechatronics - seems reasonable.

So if one is interested in applied physics vis-a-vis, mechanical engineering, electrical engineering and programming, the mechatronics offers many opportunities.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  4. Aug 22, 2010 #3

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The local CC here has a 2yr Mechatronics program which is sponsored by the local industry. In the past HP played a big part in the program, graduates who completed the program and landed a job with HP as a technician received very good pay. It was not uncommon for a experienced off shift tech to make a 6 figure annual income. Of course over time was a significant portion of that. If you are willing to move to the bay area, Texas, or maybe North Carolina, where significant wafer fabs are in operation that sort of technician jobs are most likely still available.

If you land one of those jobs, then the pay off for a mechatronics degree is very high.

In this area HP is no longer a factor the local Freezedry plant is now the main contributor to the program, I am not familar with thier pay structure but I am sure they do not pay like HP did.

5. Aug 22, 2010 #4
    Integral:
    Thanks a lot. That was very helpful. :-)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook