MechE - Ready to Launch into the World of Rocket Science?

• Thread starter engkatiemarie
  • Start date
In summary, Kate has recently joined the Physics Forums community and introduced herself as a mechanical engineer with a background in fluids and heat transfer. She currently works at a nuclear power plant and is interested in rocket science, potentially leading to a career change. She is excited to participate in discussions and grateful for the warm welcome.
engkatiemarie
Hello everybody,

I've been lurking around for a couple of days and finally decided to get a PF account so I can contribute. Let me introduce myself...

I'm Kate. I have a BS in Mechanical Engineering and I work at a nuclear power plant as a components engineer. At work, I figure out a lot of "science projects" that have been hanging around the plant for the last couple of decades.

My background is mainly in fluids/heat transfer but I have a burgeoning interest in rocket science. I picked myself up a copy of Rocket Propulsion Elements and I'm pretty much hooked - there may be a career change in the near future.

Regardless, I've enjoyed reading the threads here and I can't wait to participate. Thanks for your time!

Kate

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Kate, welcome to PF! I hope you like it here :smile:.

Welcome Kate! Glad to have you at the forum.

Nice to meet you Kate!

What is MechE?

MechE stands for Mechanical Engineering. It involves the application of principles in mechanics, materials science, and energy to design, analyze, and manufacture mechanical systems.

What is a PF?

PF stands for Physical Forum. It is a platform where students can discuss and ask questions related to their studies, particularly in the field of MechE.

Why is it important for MechE students to join PFs?

Joining PFs allows MechE students to connect with their peers and receive help and advice from more experienced students. It also provides a space for collaboration and discussion, which can aid in understanding complex concepts.

How can I get involved in a PF as a new MechE student?

First, research and find active PFs related to your specific interests in MechE. Then, reach out to the moderators or administrators of the PF and express your interest in joining. They will likely have guidelines and instructions on how to become a member of the PF.

What are some common topics discussed in MechE PFs?

Some common topics discussed in MechE PFs include course and project help, career advice, internship opportunities, and discussions on current trends and advancements in the field of mechanical engineering.