1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

MechE vs. Astrophysics

1. Mar 7, 2010 #1
    currently, im a freshman majoring in mechanical engineering. but, i've always had a strong interest in astronomy and astrophysics. i was thinking about switching to astrophysics, but also think it might be a bad idea - that it would be better to just keep astronomy as a hobby. is there any way to integrate mechE and astronomy together? as in, are there any jobs involving astronomy/astrophysics that would accept a somebody with a bachelors in mechE? thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 7, 2010 #2

eri

There are some jobs that would combine astronomy and ME, namely instrumentation (designing, building, programming, and maintaining telescopes and instruments). However, there aren't many jobs in astronomy at all right now, so you might just want to stick with 'astronomy for fun' and ME for a job.

4. Mar 7, 2010 #3
    i didn't even think about designing instruments, thanks for the thought. and i figured a ME job would be a safer bet but i was just checking to see if there was any overlap between the two. maybe ill take a couple astronomy courses as electives to get the basics at least.
    thanks again

5. Mar 7, 2010 #4

eri

Good luck. I used to be more encouraging of people wanting to go into astronomy, but the current job market is horrible. Schools I haven't even heard of are getting 150+ applications for faculty positions, and can't even find a postdoc I feel qualified for.

6. Mar 7, 2010 #5
    How about aerospace engineering? You could help design the rockets that send probes, and maybe one day people, throughout the solar system.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook