MechE or MechE Technology: Which is the Better Fit for Engineering Students?

• Thread starter NextElement
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Technology
In summary: I don't really know what the difference is, but I do know that some companies do not find Engineering Technology degrees acceptable for engineering positions. As in, you will NOT be considered suitable. Something to keep in mind.
NextElement
I've recently been looking at Purdue, and one of the programs that caught my eye was Mechanical Engineering Technology. Does anyone have any insight on this (or any of the "technology") programs versus regular engineering?

They claim the technology degree is more hands on, and more about implementation than theoretical stuff. Of course, that's the College of Technology staff talking, and I'm sure students of the College of Engineering might say differently. Also, the MechE Tech degree is a lot less math than the MechE degree.

So would you guys recommend this program? I doubt I'd get into Purdue's Engineering program, so is this a good alternative if you still would like to design and create? I'd love to work in the Automotive industry or for an Aeronautical type company (Lockheed, Boeing).

Physics news on Phys.org
Just take a standard mechanical degree. The "technology" bit tacked on at the end could end up causing some confusion which may be a negative when it comes to employment, but with a straight mechanical engineering degree you don't have to worry about this.

I don't really know what the difference is, but I do know that some companies do not find Engineering Technology degrees acceptable for engineering positions. As in, you will NOT be considered suitable. Something to keep in mind.

kinkmode said:
I don't really know what the difference is, but I do know that some companies do not find Engineering Technology degrees acceptable for engineering positions. As in, you will NOT be considered suitable. Something to keep in mind.

I suspect this is true.

Keep in mind, if you have a technology degree you will often be competing for jobs with people who have engineering degrees.

Thanks for input! I definitely would apply for normal MechE program, but since my ACT scores were so low (22 math, 29 composite) and the fact I haven't taken physics, I doubt I'd get accepted to Purdue's College of Engineering even though I'm in-state.

1. What is the difference between Mechanical Engineering (MechE) and Mechanical Engineering Technology (MechE Technology)?

Mechanical Engineering is a broad field that involves the design, development, and production of mechanical systems, while Mechanical Engineering Technology focuses more on the practical application and implementation of engineering principles.

2. Which degree would be more suitable for someone interested in hands-on work?

Mechanical Engineering Technology would be more suitable for someone interested in hands-on work, as it typically involves more lab and practical coursework compared to Mechanical Engineering.

3. Are the job opportunities and salaries different for MechE and MechE Technology graduates?

While both degrees can lead to similar job opportunities, the job titles and responsibilities may vary. In general, MechE graduates may have more opportunities in research and development, while MechE Technology graduates may have more opportunities in product design and manufacturing. The salaries may also differ, with MechE Technology graduates typically earning slightly less than MechE graduates.

4. Can MechE and MechE Technology graduates work in the same industries?

Yes, both degrees can lead to careers in industries such as automotive, aerospace, manufacturing, and energy. However, the specific roles and responsibilities may differ based on the degree and the company.

5. Is one degree considered more prestigious than the other?

No, both degrees are highly valued and respected in the engineering field. It ultimately depends on the individual's interests and career goals.