1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

MechE vs MechE Technology?

1. Sep 8, 2013 #1
    I've recently been looking at Purdue, and one of the programs that caught my eye was Mechanical Engineering Technology. Does anyone have any insight on this (or any of the "technology") programs versus regular engineering?

They claim the technology degree is more hands on, and more about implementation than theoretical stuff. Of course, that's the College of Technology staff talking, and I'm sure students of the College of Engineering might say differently. Also, the MechE Tech degree is a lot less math than the MechE degree.

So would you guys recommend this program? I doubt I'd get in to Purdue's Engineering program, so is this a good alternative if you still would like to design and create? I'd love to work in the Automotive industry or for an Aeronautical type company (Lockheed, Boeing).

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 9, 2013 #2
    Just take a standard mechanical degree. The "technology" bit tacked on at the end could end up causing some confusion which may be a negative when it comes to employment, but with a straight mechanical engineering degree you don't have to worry about this.

4. Sep 9, 2013 #3
    I don't really know what the difference is, but I do know that some companies do not find Engineering Technology degrees acceptable for engineering positions. As in, you will NOT be considered suitable. Something to keep in mind.

5. Sep 9, 2013 #4

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I suspect this is true.

Keep in mind, if you have a technology degree you will often be competing for jobs with people who have engineering degrees.

6. Sep 9, 2013 #5
    Thanks for input! I definitely would apply for normal MechE program, but since my ACT scores were so low (22 math, 29 composite) and the fact I haven't taken physics, I doubt I'd get accepted to Purdue's College of Engineering even though I'm in-state.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook