1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

MECO - has it got legs?

1. Jun 17, 2006 #1

Nereid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The Magnetospheric Eternally Collapsing Object (MECO) Model of Galactic Black Hole Candidates and Active Galactic Nuclei.

From the abstract:
    I suppose I should start a thread in the Relativity section, re how well the "new class of solutions of the Einstein field equations of General Relativity" holds water; here I'm interested in looking at how well the observational data matches MECO models.

Thoughts?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 17, 2006 #2

pervect

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I've posted a brief comment on this paper in the GR forum. Basically, I'm not particuarly impressed with it, there appears to be some elementary errors. Unfortunately I cannot comment on the astronomical observation aspects.

Do you know if the journal this was published in was peer-reviewed?

4. Jun 17, 2006 #3

Nereid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

ADS gives: "American Physical Society, April Meeting, April 28 - May 1, 2001 Washington, DC Bulletin of the American Physical Society, Vol. 46, No. 2, abstract #J14.014" (the title is slightly different).

or, still from ADS: "American Physical Society, April Meeting, 2004, May 1-4, 2004, Denver, Colorado April 2004, MEETING ID: APR04, abstract #B8.008" (the title is the same, but the abstract different).

There are, apparently, two preprints astro-ph/0307438, and astro-ph/0602453.

[Edit: from here (p2 Introduction):
    Looks like they're having some difficulty getting published, e.g. in ApJ.]

Last edited: Jun 17, 2006
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?