Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

MECO - has it got legs?

1. Jun 17, 2006 #1

Nereid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The Magnetospheric Eternally Collapsing Object (MECO) Model of Galactic Black Hole Candidates and Active Galactic Nuclei.

From the abstract:
    I suppose I should start a thread in the Relativity section, re how well the "new class of solutions of the Einstein field equations of General Relativity" holds water; here I'm interested in looking at how well the observational data matches MECO models.

Thoughts?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 17, 2006 #2

pervect

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I've posted a brief comment on this paper in the GR forum. Basically, I'm not particuarly impressed with it, there appears to be some elementary errors. Unfortunately I cannot comment on the astronomical observation aspects.

Do you know if the journal this was published in was peer-reviewed?

4. Jun 17, 2006 #3

Nereid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

ADS gives: "American Physical Society, April Meeting, April 28 - May 1, 2001 Washington, DC Bulletin of the American Physical Society, Vol. 46, No. 2, abstract #J14.014" (the title is slightly different).

or, still from ADS: "American Physical Society, April Meeting, 2004, May 1-4, 2004, Denver, Colorado April 2004, MEETING ID: APR04, abstract #B8.008" (the title is the same, but the abstract different).

There are, apparently, two preprints astro-ph/0307438, and astro-ph/0602453.

[Edit: from here (p2 Introduction):
    Looks like they're having some difficulty getting published, e.g. in ApJ.]

Last edited: Jun 17, 2006
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?