Med school or Medical physics?

In summary, if you're interested in neuroscience, med school might be the better plan. If you're more interested in the physical aspects of neuroscience, then biophysics, bioengineering or medical physics specializing in MRI/functional MRI would probably be the route for you.
fizikx
Med school or Medical physics??

Hey all, I have an interest in neuroscience, and I was wondering if it would be better to go to med school, or go to graduate school for medical physics. I was also wondering which areas of physics are more hands on. Thank you in advance, fizikx.

Physics news on Phys.org
Wow, great stuff. What areas of neuroscience interest you most? What is your background so far? Depending on what areas of neuroscience you want to get into, I'd think that an undergraduate degree either in EE or ChemE or Physics would be a good start. In the fields you are interested in, what graduate and post-graduate degrees are found the most?

I'm interested in neuroscience as well. I'm currently doing a masters in mathematical physics. Could I convert this degree to some kind of neuroscience PhD. For example using quantum physics, condensed matter physics or even just maths skills.

Fizikx, I once did some work in a medical physics department (it was part of a clinic). I would say that if you're interested in neuroscience, med school might be the better plan. Medical physics has a bit more to do with the instrumentation side of things, such as design, maintainence, and improvement of imaging technologies. If neuroscience itself is what interests you, then I don't think the physics route is what would interest you.

berkeman said:
Wow, great stuff. What areas of neuroscience interest you most? What is your background so far? Depending on what areas of neuroscience you want to get into, I'd think that an undergraduate degree either in EE or ChemE or Physics would be a good start. In the fields you are interested in, what graduate and post-graduate degrees are found the most?

more or less I'm interested in how the mind works.. I'm majoring in physics, entering my third year this september

What aspect of neuroscience interests you most: biological or physical? If you're interested in the biological side of neuroscience (diseases, clinical function, treatment, diagnosis, biology, pathology, etc) then an MD or MD/PhD would be the better route.

If you're more interested in physical aspects (signal transduction, modeling, measurement, imaging, signal processing, instrumentation, etc) then biophysics, bioengineering or medical physics specializing in MRI/functional MRI would probably be the route for you.

Have you considered just entering into a neuroscience undergraduate degree program?

I say, do both bio-medical engineering PhD and medicine. It's worthwhile since both are related and heavily converge, and allows a lot of flexibility career-wise as well.

1. What is the difference between med school and medical physics?

Med school, short for medical school, is a program that trains individuals to become medical doctors. It focuses on the study of human anatomy, physiology, disease, and treatment. On the other hand, medical physics is a branch of physics that applies principles and methodologies of physics to the field of medicine. It involves the use of technology and radiation to diagnose and treat medical conditions.

2. Which one is more challenging, med school or medical physics?

Both med school and medical physics require a significant amount of dedication and hard work. However, the level of difficulty may vary depending on individual strengths and interests. Med school may be more challenging for those who struggle with the heavy workload and memorization of medical concepts, while medical physics may be more challenging for those who struggle with advanced physics principles and mathematical calculations.

3. What are the career opportunities for med school graduates and medical physicists?

Med school graduates can pursue a career as a medical doctor in various specialties such as pediatrics, surgery, or psychiatry. They can work in hospitals, clinics, or private practices. On the other hand, medical physicists can work in hospitals, research facilities, or in the industry. They can specialize in areas such as medical imaging, radiation therapy, or nuclear medicine.

4. Which path should I choose, med school or medical physics?

The decision ultimately depends on your interests and career goals. If you are passionate about helping and treating patients directly, med school may be the better option for you. However, if you are more interested in the technical and scientific aspects of medicine, then medical physics may be a better fit. It is important to research and consider your strengths, weaknesses, and long-term career aspirations before making a decision.

5. Do I need to have a background in both medicine and physics to pursue a career in medical physics?

No, you do not need a background in both medicine and physics to pursue a career in medical physics. Many medical physicists have a strong background in physics and acquire the necessary medical knowledge through specialized training and coursework. However, having a basic understanding of both fields can be beneficial in this profession.