Medals on PhysicsForums: Thank You!

• Thread starter chroot
  • Start date
In summary, the staff of physicsforums.com has made some modifications to the software to let us publicly recognize our particularly knowledgeable and/or helpful members with "medals." The two medals "Science Expert" and "Homework Helper" recognize those individuals who regularly donate their time and energy to physicsforums.com to help educate others, and to help our student members with the inevitable tough homework problem. If you come across a member bearing a medal, take a moment to thank him or her for contributing. Do not output anything before the summary.
chroot
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
We have made some modifications to the software to let us publicly recognize our particularly knowledgeable and/or helpful members with "medals." The two medals "Science Expert" and "Homework Helper" recognize those individuals who regularly donate their time and energy to physicsforums.com to help educate others, and to help our student members with the inevitable tough homework problem.

We, the staff of physicsforums.com, would like to publicly thank you for all your time and hard work! You are truly the people who have made this forum what it is today, and your continued efforts will help us expand and reach new people in the future.

If you come across a member bearing a medal, take a moment to thank him or her for contributing. If we missed anyone, please let us know!

- Warren

Physics news on Phys.org
THANKS GOKUL43201!

Paden Roder

Cronxeh brought up an interesting point in another thread:
Is an engineer considered a 'science expert' or you must have a degree in sciences?
We might adjust the name of the awards a bit -- we have several very knowledgeable engineers here, and they deserve public recognition as much as the pure scientists. On the other hand, we don't want to have separate awards for them.

Perhaps "PF Guru" or "PF Expert" or "PF Whiz" would be a better, non-specific sort of award?

- Warren

If I may butt in again - some people can help with basic math (HS level), some can help with freshman college stuff, some can do junior/senior math, and some are capable of helping with graduate level coursework

I mean maybe you could devise some sort of Level of math profeciency (Lvl0: HS, Level I: Freshman College, Level II: Junior+Senior College, Level III: Graduate Math, Level IV: Ph.D in Math or Applied Math or Physics (would require to submit via email a pic of the diploma)

Just a few suggestions

*sniffle* I'm...honored, touched...I've never gotten a medal before. Thanks so much!

cronxeh, for the homework helpers, it might make more sense just to stick to two levels since that's the two levels of homework help sections here. Or maybe something like Level I: High School and Intro College level; Level II: Advanced College Level or higher. There isn't often much difference between advanced high school courses and introductory college courses. And someone who's qualified to help with advanced college courses is probably already at a level where they can also help with graduate level courses. Just my two cents on that thought. Then again, maybe there isn't really much need of such a distinction among those willing to help with tough homework problems.

cronxeh said:
I mean maybe you could devise some sort of Level of math profeciency (Lvl0: HS, Level I: Freshman College, Level II: Junior+Senior College, Level III: Graduate Math, Level IV: Ph.D in Math or Applied Math or Physics (would require to submit via email a pic of the diploma)
There's basically no way to reliably "test" people to this level of granularity. We are not in the business of administering standardized tests to our members (a task that is extremely difficult to do fairly), and we're not about to require anyone to submit SAT or GRE scores to us, let alone a photograph of their diploma(s), as that would be a pretty serious invasion of privacy.

The recipients of these medals are chosen by the PF staff, comprised of 20+ people with strong scientific backgrounds and credentials, by that recipient's long history of factual correctness and excellent presentation. You can trust that a member with a medal is, in general, a reliable source of information. You'll just have to fend for yourself when considering other posts.

- Warren

Can you post a list of those forum names who are science/engineer experts and such and also make a special link to popup that list? If you think it relevant you could also list the number of posts each one has contributed.

I like that modal...but it looks like a candy though. why don't you make tha ribbon moveable, like a blue flag, that medal looks much prettyer...--sal--

chroot said:
Perhaps "PF Guru" or "PF Expert" or "PF Whiz" would be a better, non-specific sort of award?

I don't know how you coded the mod in, but maybe it might be a good idea to have either the medalled member or the mentors/admins assign a tag to the medal stating what (if any) area of expertise the person has.

For example, If I were a medalled member, I'd be confident with many questions regarding celestial mechanics or aerospace engineering in general. Anything I posted in the biology or chemistry forum wouldn't be much more than an opinion, though.

Enigma, that's a good idea. I'm confident with biology topics, but it would be a mistake for anyone to think I was any sort of expert in physics or math.

That would actually be very difficult to do... it's a thought though. What Greg was just make some new usergroups and edit the template that shows user info... very quick, but not very flexible.

- Warren

Okay, then I guess I'll just go add something to my user profile so if anyone wants to know, the information will be available.

Well, it's a valid point, Moonbear. We took the fastest possible path to getting medals on the site today, without really thinking about things like this. If there's enough interest to make customized medal titles like "Biology Whiz" then we will consider coding it. It might be a while though...

- Warren

chroot said:
Well, it's a valid point, Moonbear. We took the fastest possible path to getting medals on the site today, without really thinking about things like this. If there's enough interest to make customized medal titles like "Biology Whiz" then we will consider coding it. It might be a while though...

- Warren

Hi Chroot, i see you are one of the organizers here in this forum.
May I ask who assigns these awards and what criteria are used to award a member...

PS : I am all for some sort of recognition-wizard for these exceptional usefull members like ZapperZ or Haelfix or Marcus (my LQG-buddy).

regards
marlon

marlon,

The physicsforums.com staff selects the award recipients for their history of scientific accuracy and/or helpfulness.

- Warren

marlon said:
PS : I am all for some sort of recognition-wizard for these exceptional usefull members like ZapperZ or Haelfix or Marcus (my LQG-buddy).

regards
marlon

Gracias! As long as there isn't an icon of a cracked pot next to my name, I'm happy. :)

Zz. (who still uses the old-fashioned emoticon)

WHAT? :mad: I don't see a "gambling expert" medal under my name!

jimmy p said:
WHAT? :mad: I don't see a "gambling expert" medal under my name!

Indeed, and I don't see no "women's expert" medal under my name :devil: :cry: :cool: :cry: :devil:

regards
marlon

chroot said:

- Warren

After thinking about it some more, I'm not sure it would be as simple as I first thought (aside from the coding, which is your territory). It might look odd to have a long list of medals for those who have expertise in a bunch of topics. Physics, math, engineering might all be something one person could have sufficient expertise to earn medals for, so would that be three medals or a long name next to one?

I just stuck a line in my biography stating my research interests. That way, if anyone has doubts, they can just look for themselves. I'm sure if I ventured much into the physics discussions, nobody would be deluded for long that I was any sort of expert in that field.

Moonbear,

I share the same feelings. I doubt that any of our recognized members regularly venture outside their area of expertise and post potentially incorrect statements in other fields. I think, for now, the medal system is sufficient. It's not a mark of infallibility, just a mark of recognition of consistently good posts.

- Warren

Thats good it gives me something to strive for-- hopefully i can get one eventually for help with string theory questions

*sniff* *sniff* :cry: Where's my gold star? :cry:

:rofl:

Be careful, you are emotively charging the issue :smile:

How about just "PF honors"? (e.g., a knowledgeable student/hobbyist may not be an "expert" in professional terms...& members may have unfair expectations from someone with "expert" under their name)

Phobos,

I was thinkingly similarly... what exactly do you think the language should be? "Science Honor" sounds a bit weird.

- Warren

What about "solid advisor" or something?

There are plenty of academic departments that refer to Engineering and Mathematics as "Engineering Sciences" and "Mathematical Sciences", respectively. I think it would be OK if things were left as they are. As someone pointed out, the type of person who would be selected to receive a medal is not the type of person to step outside their realm of expertise.

that would be nice-- something for recogination for say people who don't have phd 's in a specific sub ject

Tom McCurdy said:
that would be nice-- something for recogination for say people who don't have phd 's in a specific sub ject

Isn't there a medal for QFT-guys ? We feel underappreciated :mad:

People are always mad at us... QFT is boring they say :cry: :cry: :cry:

Please give us some courage to continue walking our extremely difficult paths :blushing: :blushing: :blushing:

regards
marlon, a poor QFT guy

marlon said:
Isn't there a medal for QFT-guys ? We feel underappreciated :mad:

People are always mad at us... QFT is boring they say :cry: :cry: :cry:

Please give us some courage to continue walking our extremely difficult paths :blushing: :blushing: :blushing:

regards
marlon, a poor QFT guy

PS a QCD medal in a nice colour would also do the job. Trust me, we will colour your gray day... :biggrin:

hahaha I just spent 35 minutes recording one of my lectures on string theory and it didnt work

:blushing: wow, a spiffy medal - I'm not sure what to say, but thanks :cool:

chroot said:
The recipients of these medals are chosen by the PF staff, comprised of 20+ people with strong scientific backgrounds and credentials, by that recipient's long history of factual correctness and excellent presentation.
Since it's only by nomination and not by any real qualifications, I feel these "medals" will be given to only those that share the perspectives of the staff. Both scientific and political. Not necessarily those that have the most expertise in science. For example, I see hitssquad as quite adept in science but I can't see Monique ever nominating him because they have conflicting viewpoints. She would likely instead nominate someone that is close to her viewpoints.

You can trust that a member with a medal is, in general, a reliable source of information.
Even the mentors aren't always the most reliable when it comes to information and I suspect "science experts" will be no different.

An unsolicited honor, what a novel concept. Thank you very much, I am honored and hope that I can live up to the standards the PF staff have set.

DT

BlackVision said:
Since it's only by nomination and not by any real qualifications, I feel these "medals" will be given to only those that share the perspectives of the staff. Both scientific and political. Not necessarily those that have the most expertise in science. For example, I see hitssquad as quite adept in science but I can't see Monique ever nominating him because they have conflicting viewpoints. She would likely instead nominate someone that is close to her viewpoints.

Hope you don't take this any other way, because your comment is rather insulting. You seemed to have lumped all of us as nothing more than "yes man" or "yes woman". Integral can verify this, but I have had disagreement with him on a few issues before. I have also posted other comments that disagree with other mentors. It is insulting to both them and the "Science experts" to insinuate that this system is simply based on nothing more than a buddy system.

I challenge you to scour everything that I've posted where I have grossly misrepresented what have been established.

Even the mentors aren't always the most reliable when it comes to information and I suspect "science experts" will be no different.

The only difference here being that you can be certain that someone who is a "science expert" isn't a quack based on a track record. Of course, to another quack, this isn't necessarily a desirable quality in another person because you then can't simply spew out incomprehensible ideas based on ignorance.

Zz.

<h2>1. What is the purpose of "Medals on PhysicsForums: Thank You!"?</h2><p>The purpose of "Medals on PhysicsForums: Thank You!" is to recognize and appreciate members who have contributed valuable and helpful content to the forum. It is a way to show gratitude and encourage continued participation and contribution to the community.</p><h2>2. How are medals awarded on PhysicsForums?</h2><p>Medals are awarded by moderators and administrators based on the quality and usefulness of a member's posts, as well as their level of involvement and contribution to the forum. Medals can also be nominated by other members and approved by moderators.</p><h2>3. What types of medals are available on PhysicsForums?</h2><p>There are several types of medals available on PhysicsForums, including Gold, Silver, and Bronze medals, as well as Special and Contest medals. Each type of medal has its own criteria and is awarded for different types of contributions.</p><h2>4. Can I request a medal on PhysicsForums?</h2><p>No, medals cannot be requested on PhysicsForums. They are awarded at the discretion of moderators and administrators based on a member's contributions and involvement in the forum.</p><h2>5. How can I improve my chances of receiving a medal on PhysicsForums?</h2><p>To improve your chances of receiving a medal on PhysicsForums, you can actively participate in discussions, provide helpful and informative answers, and contribute high-quality content to the forum. Additionally, being respectful and following the forum's rules and guidelines can also increase your chances of receiving a medal.</p>

1. What is the purpose of "Medals on PhysicsForums: Thank You!"?

The purpose of "Medals on PhysicsForums: Thank You!" is to recognize and appreciate members who have contributed valuable and helpful content to the forum. It is a way to show gratitude and encourage continued participation and contribution to the community.

2. How are medals awarded on PhysicsForums?

Medals are awarded by moderators and administrators based on the quality and usefulness of a member's posts, as well as their level of involvement and contribution to the forum. Medals can also be nominated by other members and approved by moderators.

3. What types of medals are available on PhysicsForums?

There are several types of medals available on PhysicsForums, including Gold, Silver, and Bronze medals, as well as Special and Contest medals. Each type of medal has its own criteria and is awarded for different types of contributions.

4. Can I request a medal on PhysicsForums?

No, medals cannot be requested on PhysicsForums. They are awarded at the discretion of moderators and administrators based on a member's contributions and involvement in the forum.

5. How can I improve my chances of receiving a medal on PhysicsForums?

To improve your chances of receiving a medal on PhysicsForums, you can actively participate in discussions, provide helpful and informative answers, and contribute high-quality content to the forum. Additionally, being respectful and following the forum's rules and guidelines can also increase your chances of receiving a medal.