Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Media and shock value

1. Dec 29, 2004 #1

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I found this amusing: I just read the Wikipedia article on the recent quake/tsunami, which mentions that the earthquake may have sped up Earth's rotation, shortening days by 3 microseconds... but balanced that by noting that the moon slows days by 15 microseconds each year. It also mentions that it caused the Earth to wobble an inch off of its axis... but balanced it by noting that the Earth already wobbles as much as 15 meters.

Then, I hear in the background (my TV's on) that the news reports only that the quake permanently shortened days and knocked the Earth an inch off of its axis. :yuck:

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 29, 2004 #2

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hurkyl, I am glad you posted that. I have been hearing these non-specific reports about the quake "affecting the Earth's orbit", and I was wondering what that was all about.

4. Dec 29, 2004 #3

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I really liked the wiki article and posted it on the thread in the Earth Sciences section. One of the quotes I included talked of the effect on rotation. I picked this specifically because it was the act of searching to find out what this was all about (after hearing spooky one-liners from the news) that took me to the Wiki article.

https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=414745&postcount=19

5. Dec 30, 2004 #4

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,3-1418302,00.html

6. Dec 30, 2004 #5
    I wonder if I could use the wobble to get out of that failed sobriety test.
    "Your honor, I could have walked a straight line, that damn wobble kept moving the line.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?