Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Media & Politics

1. Jun 18, 2005 #1

Lisa!

Gold Member

What do you think about the relation btw media and politics?
    It seems that all the medias are controlled by politicians and really help politicians to achieve their goals.They never tell us what's exacylt going on in Iraq.So do you still trut their news and accept the picture of world that they show you?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 18, 2005 #2

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Although i highly doubt politicians control media members... i think you cant accept the medias view of the world because of 2 reasons. You must sell the news, you must get people to watch and people only want to watch what captivates them which leads the news to only look for sensationalism and such. Another reason is that your trying to fit the news fo 6 billion people into an hour long news program... just isnt gonna work very well.

But of course, what alternative do we have :-/

4. Jun 18, 2005 #3

Lisa!

Gold Member

Not al of media members for sure but people who are the head of them.
    I don't know what we could do about it.We can't trust media comp. but well we can't travel all over the world and see what's happening there!
    Right now forexample people are worried about some religions.After sep. 11th,most of people are afraid of muslems more and muslems are afraid of Jewish people who live in Israel.everyone is afraid of sth.it seems that politiciens try to frighten us from an imaginary enemies.Myaybe they're trying to prevent people's unity around the world!

5. Jun 18, 2005 #4

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Its a symbiotic relationship: the media manipulates public opinion and politicians manipulate the media.

6. Jun 18, 2005 #5

Art

7. Jun 18, 2005 #6

Pengwuino

Gold Member

8. Jun 18, 2005 #7

Art

???? Is there some statement of fact contained in the article I referenced that you wish to challenge?? If so please feel free to do so. It would be extremely difficult to discuss the media without mentioning Rupert Murdoch. Here's a list of some of his media companies

Filmed Entertainment - News Corporation
    20th Century Fox
    20th Century Fox Espanol
    20th Century Fox Home Entertainment
    20th Century Fox International
    20th Century Fox Television
    Blue Sky Studios
    Fox Searchlight Pictures
    Fox Studios Australia
    Fox Studios LA
    Fox Studios Baja
    Fox Television Studios

Television - News Corporation
    Fox Broadcasting Company
    Fox Sports Australia
    Fox Television Stations
    FOXTEL
    STAR

Cable Television - News Corporation
    Fox Movie Channel
    Fox News Channel
    Fox Sports Digital
    Fox Sports Enterprises
    Fox Sports Espanol
    Fox Sports Net
    Fox Sports World
    FUEL
    FX
    National Geographic Channel
    SPEED Channel
    Stats, Inc

Direct Broadcast & Satellite Television - News Corporation
    BskyB
    DIRECTV
    FOXTEL
    Sky Italia

Magazines - News Corporation
    Inside Out
    Donna Hay
    News America Marketing
    Smart Source
    The Weekly Standard
    Gemstar

Newspapers - News Corporation
    Australasian region Newspapers:
    Daily Telegraph
    Fiji Times
    Gold Coast Bulletin
    Herald Sun
    Newsphotos
    Newspix
    Newstext
    NT News
    Post Courier
    Sunday Herald Sun
    Sunday Mail
    Sunday Tasmanian
    Sunday Territorian
    Sunday Times
    The Advertiser
    The Australian
    The Courier Mail
    The Mercury
    The Sunday Mail
    The Sunday Telegraph
    Weekly Times
    United Kingdom region Newspapers:
    News International
    News of the World
    The Sun
    The Sunday Times
    The Times
    Times Education Supplement
    Times Higher Education Supplement
    Times Literary Supplement
    TSL Education
    United States region Newspapers:
    New York Post

Books - News Corporation
    Harper Collins Publishers
    - Australia
    - Canada
    - Childrens Books
    - United States
    - United Kingdom
    Regan Books
    Zondervan

Other Investments - News Corporation
    Festival Records
    Mushroom Records
    National Rugby League - Australia
    News Interactive
    News Outdoor
    Nursery World

Last edited: Jun 18, 2005
  9. Jun 18, 2005 #8

SOS2008

Gold Member

No partisan BS reply to Art's post yet? :rofl:

10. Jun 19, 2005 #9
    Hadn't you heard of those three columnists/commentators that were on the Bush administration's payroll with the purpose of promoting their policies?

11. Jun 19, 2005 #10
    You might want to rotate the rabbit ears to improve your reception, because there's tons of news about Iraq. All the car bombings (which are routine now so may not be reported as a top story) insurgency attacks, helicopter crashes, prisoner abuse, elections, oil vandalism, etc. are constantly reported, in fact the media is why I know about all those things.

American media I believe is biased, but not necessarily just by politicians, but more so I believe by the networks/editors or people in charge of their medium. If politicians get to manipulate what's on the air/in print then (whether actually the case or not) that would be HIGHLY UNCONSTITUTIONAL. I'm not denying this is happening, but I wonder what led you to this view.

12. Jun 19, 2005 #11

GENIERE

Science Advisor

You’ve been indoctrinated into the media leftist bias by using the phrase “insurgency attacks” rather than the proper phrase “terrorists attacks”.

13. Jun 19, 2005 #12
    What's the difference?

14. Jun 19, 2005 #13

GENIERE

Science Advisor

The leftist media is fully aware that the repetitive headlining of terrorist murders has a numbing effect on their audience; one hundred thousand murders become no worse than one. This allows for the leftist propaganda to emphasize the slightest infraction of their political enemy. The slaughter is forgotten while pissing on a book is considered the worst atrocity ever.

15. Jun 19, 2005 #14

GENIERE

Science Advisor

Moreso indoctrinated than I thought.

16. Jun 19, 2005 #15

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Unfortunately so.

What was the news media, now more like "infotainment" :yuck:, is the in business of grabbing the attention of the public, in order to get an 'audience' (market share) to influence rather than inform. Politicians are just one set of clients who are also seeking to influence the same audience.

17. Jun 19, 2005 #16
    Geniere:

I can call the attacks whatever I want to, it was my decision to use the words "insurgency attacks" and rightfully so, not the decision of leftists who have brainwashed me with propoganda.

Verifying that I'm "indoctrinated" will require an argument about semantics and definitions, based on the grounds of your claim (unless you know another way I'm indoctrinated besides the usage of only two words.) I would gladly have that discussion, let me start.

Insurgency means a rebellion. This is people who revolt against a government/authority by whatever means. For example to fight back against an invading army (and the subsequent government they set up) but not necessarily acheiving a revolution. The term isn't changed by the form of weapons used. The U.S.A. army will use M16s to gun down insurgents/terrorists while insurgents can use roadside bombs. Both are weapons, plain and simple. But the means bomb vs. gun isn't going to change this definion. Are these "terrorists" not rebelling? The definions are based on motive, not means.

Terrorists are those who's actions intended to instill fear. Terrorists cause terror, that is so simple; it is not a difficult word to understand. Now an insurgency can cause terror of course due to the methods they use. U.S. soldiers may very well be afraid of roadside bombs just like insurgents ought to be afraid of the machine guns and Apache gunships. But for these to be called "terrorist attacks" you will have to prove for each and every attack that the true motive of the attacker was to instill fear, not to fight back/revolt.

Check your dictionary, and tell me again if "insurgent attacks" were innappropriate or incorrect words to use.

18. Jun 19, 2005 #17

Lisa!

Gold Member

The best way to hide one important truth is talking about other facts.I never said there no news about Iraq but I said I don'y know what's exactly going on in Iraq.
    WE all know about attaks,helicopter crashes... but I don't know why they're all hapening.Bush told us,he wanted to give Iraq's people their freedom,so why Iraq people are doing theses and another important fact is that they wanted to find nuclear weapens!And now it seems that coz of tones of news about Iraq most of us forgot it.
    Ok maybe Us still doesn't want leave Iraq and so it all should happen.anyway pleas tell me if you know "what's exactly going on in Iraq and why?"

19. Jun 19, 2005 #18
    As far as I know in terms of what is happening in Iraq I know from the media and internet. If there's something else that hasn't been reported and none of us has heard about well I'm sure it's possible but the nature of what that is could only be speculation. For example we could say there's not just roadside bombs and helicopter crashes but they're also hiding aliens. If we go outside the information we have then we can really only guess.

20. Jun 19, 2005 #19
    I will admit we don't know everything because the government does hide stuff. It's their job and there is classified information so there must be something else I just can't imagine what it is not being a government official and neither can the media so it's really a tough question!

21. Jun 19, 2005 #20

Lisa!

Gold Member

For sure we couldn't and maybe shouldn't know everything.Maybe we can't do anything about Iraq.we knew Us wanted to start a war against but we we're not able to stop it.so it seems that having information couldn't be useful sometimes and it's not our businss to interfere to politiciens job."alittle information could be dangerous!"
    I'm just trying to say we shouldn't trust media allthe time.Sometimes we can find out lots of important facts just by thinking alittle.somehow it couldn't be bad that sometimes we get information from people who live somewhere like Iraq(I met one but of course didn't talk to him)through internet and get their information about what's going there.you know I myself before meeting that person,thought righ now there's peace in no place in Iraq!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?