Medical assembly design help

In summary, the medical device assembly has a needle insertion mechanism that requires a motor. The application is not clear and the motor is too expensive. The assembly is for a single shot operation or for subsequent repeated injections. The application is not clear and the motor is too expensive.
Luci
Hello ,
I have an medical device assembly, where I trigger the needle for injection, mechanically, with a pretensioned spring. Injection takes 3 minutes, then I have to retract the needle. How can I trigger the needle, using an electrical impulse ?

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
How about this?

Likes JBA and Luci
AZFIREBALL said:
How about this?
View attachment 244672
Yes, nice proposal. But I don't understand how the solenoid is acting.
I need to trigger the needle retraction, at the end of injection, not immediately after the insertion.

You will need a timer circuit to run the solenoid and motor at the proper times.
The solenoid holds the needle up until the time for injection. It fires...the needle goes down. The timer allows 3 min. then triggers the motor to retract the needle until it is again latched up by the solenoid.
Then the cycle starts all over again.

Likes Luci
Welcome to the PF. :smile:
Luci said:
Hello ,
I have an medical device assembly, where I trigger the needle for injection, mechanically, with a pretensioned spring. Injection takes 3 minutes, then I have to retract the needle. How can I trigger the needle, using an electrical impulse ?
What is the application? Can't you just use an IV infusion instead? Who is the patient, and what is the injected drug? Does it need to be an IM or subcu injection?

Likes Luci
AZFIREBALL said:
You will need a timer circuit to run the solenoid and motor at the proper times.
The solenoid holds the needle up until the time for injection. It fires...the needle goes down. The timer allows 3 min. then triggers the motor to retract the needle until it is again latched up by the solenoid.
Then the cycle starts all over again.
Motor is too expensive for my application.

berkeman said:
Welcome to the PF. :smile:

What is the application? Can't you just use an IV infusion instead? Who is the patient, and what is the injected drug? Does it need to be an IM or subcu injection?
Needle insertion mechanism is mandatory. I fire the needle using a spring, the drug flows for 3 minutes and then I have to retract the needle. But without using a motor, witch is too expensive.

Is this a single shot operation or is it intended to deliver subsequent repeated injections automatically?

Likes Luci
Luci said:
Needle insertion mechanism is mandatory. I fire the needle using a spring, the drug flows for 3 minutes and then I have to retract the needle. But without using a motor, witch is too expensive.
You still didn't say what the application is. Keeping a needle steady in a patient for 3 minutes is quite a chore, unless it's an IV tube. Why are you giving an IM injection that takes 3 minutes?

Likes Luci
Motors like this on Ebay for $1.99 each. Too expensive? How much have you budgeted for this project?

Last edited:
Likes Luci
Thread closed temporarily. @Luci -- You need to send me a message explaining what you are trying to do before this thread can be re-opened. Click on my avatar picture and select "Start a conversation". Thank you.

Likes Luci

1. What is medical assembly design?

Medical assembly design is the process of creating and designing medical devices and equipment, such as surgical instruments, implants, and diagnostic tools. It involves considering factors such as functionality, safety, and ergonomics to ensure the device meets the needs of healthcare professionals and patients.

2. What qualifications do medical assembly designers have?

Medical assembly designers typically have a background in engineering, specifically in the field of biomedical engineering. They may also have additional training or certifications in medical device design and manufacturing processes.

3. How do medical assembly designers ensure the safety and effectiveness of their designs?

Medical assembly designers follow strict guidelines and regulations set by governing bodies, such as the FDA, to ensure the safety and effectiveness of their designs. They also conduct thorough testing and validation processes to ensure the device meets all necessary standards.

4. What software or tools do medical assembly designers use?

Medical assembly designers use a variety of software and tools to aid in the design process, including CAD (computer-aided design) software, simulation tools, and 3D printing technology. These tools allow for precise and detailed design, as well as testing and prototyping.

5. What are some common challenges faced by medical assembly designers?

Some common challenges faced by medical assembly designers include balancing functionality with cost and manufacturability, ensuring compatibility with existing medical equipment and procedures, and meeting strict regulatory requirements. They also must consider the needs and feedback of healthcare professionals and patients when designing a medical device.