1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Medical Electronics Question?

1. Jan 15, 2012 #1
    A pacemaker stimulates heart tissue with R of 100ohms.
    Pulse amplitude is 1.2 Volts & pulse duration is 0.5ms.
    Stimulates at 70bpm
    Current drain = 2microamps

Calculate energy delivered to heart from pacemaker at each pulse.

i got

P=V^2/R = 0.0144

Then Energy = Power*time = 0.0144*0.5x10-3 = 7.2x10-6 J

But do i not need to take into account the current drain?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 15, 2012 #2
    Please help?! its for an exam tomorrow!

4. Jan 15, 2012 #3

gneill

Staff: Mentor

It would appear that the current drain and the 70bpm figures are superfluous information.

5. Jan 15, 2012 #4

NascentOxygen

If the pacemaker electronics is 100% efficient (unrealistic, but let's consider it to be ideal for sake of argument), then the above information will account for a drain on the battery averaging 7 μA.

So I'm puzzled by their figure of just 2 μA. I say it has to be more than 7 μA.

I agree with this figure, and it has units of Joules.

No. But the person who set the question does need to explain the anomaly. :confused:

6. Jan 16, 2012 #5

gneill

The problem doesn't say that the stated current drain is measured at the output of the pacemaker, or that the pacemaker's battery must be 1.2V. For all we know the pacemaker could be running on a 12V battery (okay that's unlikely but you get the idea) and its circuitry is designed to deliver the required pulses via suitable transformation. The concern would be with energy conservation (power drawn >= power delivered), or I*V, rather than just I.

7. Jan 17, 2012 #6

NascentOxygen

The only interpretation of "current drain" is current drawn from the battery. But you are right that the battery need not be 1.2 volts. What it would realistically be, though, I don't know.

Good save.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook