Medical Marijuana: Navigating Legalization and Local Restrictions in Maine

• Thread starter turbo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Medical
In summary, the conversation discusses the current state of medical marijuana in Maine and the challenges faced by dispensaries trying to open in certain towns. Personal experiences with the effectiveness of marijuana for medical conditions are shared, as well as the possibility of legal action against towns that prevent dispensaries from opening. The conversation also mentions the thriving business of marijuana in Oregon and the existence of a pot reviewer who critiques different strains. Lastly, the conversation mentions the legalization of marijuana at the county level in Mendocino county, despite it being against state law due to the significant revenue it brings in.
turbo
Gold Member
Medical Marijuana in Maine??

We have a law authorizing the prescription of marijuana for medical conditions. One big problem is that local towns are throwing up roadblocks preventing dispensaries from opening in their limits. When the largest towns in the area effectively ban dispensaries from opening, it is basically denying care to people who might need it most. My brother-in-law would not have ended his life as easily without pot. Marinol did nothing for him - it had to be the real deal.

Biology news on Phys.org

i guess that means your next step is to sue the towns. maybe pick small ones that can't put up much defense.

Yeah, I heard there was supposed to be a protest, but everyone forgot to show up.

Recently, Portland [Oregon] set a limit on the number of pot stores that could operate. But it is a thriving business in Oregon.

I also saw a recent story about the first pot reviewer. He works for a Colorado paper and critiques the various strains of pot available locally. I loved the comment about how he got his job: He was one of the few applicants who knows how to punctuate!

Mendocino county [California] has actually legallized it at the county level - all users. This goes against State law, but given that 80-90% of the county's revenues now come from pot sales, no one is rushing to do anything about it.

Last edited:

1. What is the definition of medical marijuana in Maine?

Medical marijuana in Maine refers to the use of marijuana or its derivatives for medical purposes with a valid medical certificate or recommendation from a licensed physician. It is used to treat a wide range of medical conditions, such as chronic pain, chemotherapy-induced nausea, and multiple sclerosis.

2. Who is eligible to use medical marijuana in Maine?

In order to use medical marijuana in Maine, an individual must be diagnosed with a qualifying medical condition by a licensed physician and obtain a medical certificate. Qualifying conditions include cancer, glaucoma, post-traumatic stress disorder, and chronic pain.

3. How can I obtain medical marijuana in Maine?

To obtain medical marijuana in Maine, you must first consult with a licensed physician who can provide a written certification for your qualifying medical condition. Once you have a certification, you can then register with the Maine Department of Health and Human Services and obtain a medical marijuana card.

4. What forms of medical marijuana are available in Maine?

Maine allows for the use of various forms of medical marijuana, including dried flower, concentrates, edibles, and topicals. However, the use of smokable forms of marijuana is prohibited.

5. How does Maine regulate the use of medical marijuana?

Maine has a comprehensive regulatory system in place for the use of medical marijuana. This includes state-licensed dispensaries, strict testing and labeling requirements, and a limit on the amount of medical marijuana an individual can possess at one time. The state also requires all medical marijuana products to be tracked from seed to sale to ensure quality and safety for patients.