1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Medical Physics anyone?

1. Aug 30, 2007 #1
    I just graduated recently with a 2:1 in Mathematics and am thinking of studying a Masters course in Medical Physics in 2008. I got a welcoming response from Aberdeen University (http://www.biomed.abdn.ac.uk/Courses/medphys.html) and am thinking of studying there.

However, I'm trying to think of the job prospects once completing the course. I'd really like to work for NHS Scotland but the training scheme is difficult to get into. There are very few vacancies. Does anyone have experience of finishing a masters course in Medical Physics and then find it difficult to get work?

I'm therefore considering other possible career options that degree at Aberdeen University has to offer but there doesn't seem to be many. Of course, there is academia but I can't see myself studying for a PhD and becoming a lecturer. Do you think I could find employment within nuclear energy or radiation protection using that degree? Or should I look somewhere else for a course that gives more career choices?

I'd love to here any experience folk have in doing a course in medical physics.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 12, 2007 #2
    In the US, radiation protection is Health Physics, whereas Medical Physics is radiation oncology (treating people who have cancer with radiation) and diagnostic (x-rays, MRI, etc.) both involve making sure the equipment is running properly and radiation oncology involves treatment planning as well. In the US, finding a clinical job with a Masters in Medical Physics is not that difficult, but I'm not sure about anywhere else. I would assume it's similar though.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?