1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics Medical physics career

1. Jul 8, 2006 #1
    I am considering medical physics for a career. I got a two year degree in business about 10 years ago, and I have looked around at programs on the internet. Some masters programs recommend taking organic chemistry as an undergrad student. Others just say you have to take a certain number of physics classes. Can you give me your opinions on what classes to take, and also which schools have good masters programs.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 9, 2006 #2

If you check the websites for the programs listed in the CAMPEP website, they should provide a list of the prerequisites, or at least a contact person you can talk to about course prerequisites. That will be your best bet to figure out what courses you need to take. Requirements will vary from program to program, but generally you will need at least EM, nuclear physics, mechanics, anatomy, physiology, stats, some linear algebra, and a little QM. A course in electronics probably wouldn't hurt either.

A CAMPEP accredited program should be your first choice. I expect in the not so distant future the ABR will make it a requirement for taking the board certification exam.
  4. Jul 9, 2006 #3
    Thank you very much for that list. I have been looking for such a list, just to even know what schools offer a graduate program.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?