Medical Physics from the UK to Canada

In summary, the CCPM recognizes a number of equivalent certification programs, including IPEM. To be eligible for membership in the CCPM, a medical physicist must have an accredited MS or PhD in medical physics from an IPEM-recognized program, have three years post-registration clinical experience, and pass the CCPM Membership Exam.
mcbrs1
Hi I am a medical physicist in the uk with a desire to transition to Canada. I am in the process of applying for permanent residency via the Canada express entry. We have a similar organisation to CAMPEP that accredits our physicists in the UK, called IPEM. I have an accredited MSc from IPEM and performed four years training to obtain "state registration" in the UK as a medical physicist. I have also obtained a PhD in medical imaging; our PhD's are not accredited per se but the institution is an accredited one for our MsC programmes in medical physics and medical imaging. I have around three years post registration clinical experience and am currently classed as a "medical physics expert" in the UK.

If my understanding is correct to gain a good chance at a medical physics position I need to hold certification with CCPM "or equivalent". Programs, accredited by other organizations, which are formally recognized by CAMPEP as being equivalent in content and expectations to CAMPEP accredited programs will be recognized as equivalent for the purpose or eligibility for the Membership exam. However they don't mention IPEM. 1] Does IEPM count as an equivalent organization?

Internationally trained medical physicist can apply using the link mentioned here:

http://www.ccpm.ca/ccpm-english/mai...ternationally-trained-medical-physicists.html

Similarly after sitting the exam; three satisfactory letters of reference are required, each attesting that the candidate meets the experience requirements and has abided by the CCPM Code of Ethics. Two of the letters must be from medical physicists. At least one medical physicist referee must be certified by the CCPM, ABR, ABMP or, at the discretion of the CCPM Board, by another recognised certifying body(so potentially IPEM?) . The third letter must be from a board-certified physician. 2] Does this "board certified physician," have to also be certified by an american / Canadian board or would a UK baord suffice for example GMP?

3] If successful after gaining experience as a CCPM certified physicist does anyone know any barriers then preventing one to obtaining successful employment in the USA?

4] Does anyone have any experience in this process and can spot anything I have missed or are able to clarify my questions?

Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm a Canadian Medical Physicist.

1. I'm reasonably certain IEPM would count as equivalent, but this is something that's largely at the discretion of individual employers. What would probably happen is that in the interview process you'd be treated as equivalent - at least on paper - to a CCPM member and then if you're the successful candidate, you would likely be encouraged to pursue membership with the CCPM while you're employed in Canada.

2. I strongly suspect a UK board would suffice. You might consider just writing to the CCPM itself an asking this question directly. I'm sure they would be able to give you a definitive answer.

3. For the most part CCPM membership is taken as equivalent to the American board certifications, but the details are state-dependent. Some states license their Medical Physicists and specifically require American board certifications.

4. No direct experience, though a good friend of mine went the other direction not too long ago. You're asking good questions. As I said, a quick email to the CCPM will clear up any uncertainty on their end of things.

Good luck with all of it.

Likes gleem and jim mcnamara

1. How do I transfer my medical physics qualifications from the UK to Canada?

In order to transfer your qualifications, you will need to have your credentials assessed by the Canadian Association of Medical Physicists (CAMP) or the Medical Physics Credentialing Board (MCPB). They will review your education, training, and experience to determine if you meet the requirements to practice medical physics in Canada.

2. Are there any specific requirements or exams I need to take?

Yes, in addition to having your credentials assessed, you will also need to pass the Canadian College of Physicists in Medicine (CCPM) exam. This exam covers Canadian-specific medical physics knowledge and is required for certification and registration in Canada.

3. Do I need to be fluent in French to work in Canada as a medical physicist?

It depends on the province you plan to work in. Quebec is a French-speaking province, so fluency in French may be required. However, in other provinces, English is the main language used in healthcare settings. It is always beneficial to have some knowledge of French, but it may not be a requirement in all provinces.

4. Can I work in both clinical and research settings as a medical physicist in Canada?

Yes, most medical physicists in Canada work in both clinical and research settings. However, the requirements and regulations for each setting may vary, so it is important to check with the specific province where you plan to work.

5. Is there a demand for medical physicists in Canada?

Yes, there is a high demand for medical physicists in Canada, especially in rural and remote areas. The aging population and advances in medical technology have led to an increased need for qualified medical physicists in all provinces.