Medical physics in Australia: ASPCEM TEAP experience?

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty of obtaining registrar positions in the TEAP program in Australia and the potential for graduates from North America to move down under. It is mentioned that it may be easier to obtain a position in Australia/New Zealand, but institutions may favor graduates from their own programs. The conversation also touches on the possibility of global migration patterns in medical physics.
travail
Is anyone enrolled in the TEAP program in Australia? Are registrar positions difficult to obtain, or does the graduate school match you with one? How bad is the ‘junior MP bottleneck’ down under?

Physics news on Phys.org
From what I understand it's a little easier to get a registrar (residency) position in Australia/New Zealand than it is in North America, but with the number of qualified graduates who are currently looking for residency positions (recently in North America there were roughly 120 out of about 300 graduates matched for medical physics residencies, I suspect at least a few of them would be willing to move down under and generate a spillover effect.

That said, I suspect that Australian institutions will favour graduates from their own programs so it would be worth doing the math to see how many registrar positions are completed annually. It's hard to estimate what the turnover will be, but the key to look out for is that if the programs are looking to or relying on exporting some candidates then that could be a flag. (Although I don't know what the Austalasian demand looks like as a whole, so it's possible that's not a horrible thing.)

Thank you, Choppy. Come to think of it, some Australian MP programs do mention "global employment prospects" in passing. Your comment casts a new light on this.

This brings me to my next question to you as the MP guru: are there any global migration patterns in medical physics, or is the field more or less compartmentalized?

1. What is ASPCEM TEAP and what does it stand for?

ASPCEM TEAP stands for the Australasian College of Physical Scientists and Engineers in Medicine Training, Education and Accreditation Program. It is a program that sets the standards for medical physics training and accreditation in Australia.

2. How is medical physics in Australia regulated?

Medical physics in Australia is regulated by the Australasian College of Physical Scientists and Engineers in Medicine (ACPSEM) through the TEAP program. This program ensures that medical physicists receive high-quality training and adhere to professional standards.

3. What types of medical physics specialties are recognized in Australia?

The ACPSEM recognizes four specialties in medical physics: radiology, nuclear medicine, radiation oncology, and radiobiology. Medical physicists can choose to specialize in one or more of these areas.

4. What is the process for becoming a certified medical physicist in Australia?

To become a certified medical physicist in Australia, one must first complete a relevant undergraduate degree in physics or engineering, followed by a postgraduate degree in medical physics. After completing the necessary education and training, one must apply for accreditation through the TEAP program and pass a professional practice exam.

5. What are the career opportunities for medical physicists in Australia?

Medical physicists in Australia have a wide range of career opportunities in both the public and private sectors. They can work in hospitals, research institutes, government agencies, or private companies. Some common job roles for medical physicists include clinical medical physicist, academic researcher, radiation safety officer, and consultant.