Medical physics manometer question

In summary, the question asks for the largest pressure that can be measured using a 70cm tall water column in a manometer. The densities of water and mercury are given as 1000 kg/m3 and 13,600 kg/m3 respectively. After attempting the question and getting an incorrect answer, it is realized that atmospheric pressure should not be added in the calculation. The correct answer is obtained by converting the equivalent height of the water column to a column of mercury and using the formula P=ρgh to calculate the pressure difference. The relevance of the given density of mercury is not clear in this question.
Iooz

Homework Statement

If you have a manometer with a 70cm tall water column, what is the largest pressure
that can be measured? Assume that the densities of water and mercury are 1000 kg/m3
and 13 600 kg/m3 respectively

Homework Equations

P=pgh+Patm

The Attempt at a Solution

I've attempted this question and am getting an answer of 801mmHg however the answer is 51.5mmHg.
My attempt:
P=pgh+Patm
=(1000 x 9.8 x 0.70) + (1 x 105)
=106860Pa
And then to convert it to mmHg since 101325Pa=760mmHg I went (106860 x 760)/101325
=801mmHg

Can someone please help with where I'm going wrong here?

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you tried not adding atmospheric pressure?

You have not interpreted the question correctly. A 70 cm column of water is equivalent to a column of mercury.of what height?

Merlin3189 said:
Have you tried not adding atmospheric pressure?
I have now tried this and this gives me the right answer of 51.5mmHg however I don't understand why I would not add atmospheric pressure?

gleem said:
You have not interpreted the question correctly. A 70 cm column of water is equivalent to a column of mercury.of what height?
I have worked this out and have gotten an answer of a 0.05m column of Mercury is equivalent to 0.7m of water.
However I'm unsure how to use this in the calculation?

Iooz said:
I have worked this out and have gotten an answer of a 0.05m column of Mercury is equivalent to 0.7m of water.
However I'm unsure how to use this in the calculation?

You have the answer. Actually the question should have been what is the largest pressure difference you can measure.

Likes Iooz
gleem said:
You have the answer. Actually the question should have been what is the largest pressure difference you can measure.
Oh I see what you did here! Converting 0.05m to mm will give me mmHg.
Thank you :)

I made the comment simply because your maths seemed ok, so the only other possibility was that your method was not the one they wanted.

I only discovered the formula you use when I came to PF. All my life I've used the simple P=ρgh to calculate the pressure of a column of liquid.
I understand why you use the formula and I can't say that it's right or wrong. I just like to know the pressure of the liquid column, then use that as appropriate to the situation.

Here we are told it is a medical manometer, so I think it measures pressures relative to atmospheric. So no addition of atmospheric pressure is required.
Since the pressures the doctor quotes when measuring blood pressure are of the order of 50 - 150 mmHg, your heart would have to be some sort of vacuum pump if that were an absolute pressure.

I don't understand Gleem's comment, as you did give your answer in terms of an equivalent column of Hg, even though that was not asked for in the question.
It did strike me as odd that they told you the density of Hg when it seems completely irrelevant to the question as stated! If someone asked me for a pressure, I would give an answer in N/m2 or Pascal.

Likes Iooz
@Merlin3189 In medical physics pressure is usually measured in mmHg because most labs have Mercury Barometers or calibrate an aneroid or other type of barometer against a mercury barometer.

1. What is a medical physics manometer?

A medical physics manometer is a device used to measure and monitor pressure in medical equipment and procedures. It is typically a U-shaped tube filled with a liquid, such as mercury, and connected to the equipment being measured.

2. How does a medical physics manometer work?

A medical physics manometer works by measuring the difference in height of the liquid in the two arms of the U-shaped tube. This difference in height is directly proportional to the pressure being applied to the equipment being measured.

3. What are some common uses for a medical physics manometer?

A medical physics manometer is commonly used in medical procedures such as measuring blood pressure, monitoring ventilator pressure, and checking the pressure in IV lines. It is also used in laboratory experiments and in industrial settings.

4. How accurate is a medical physics manometer?

The accuracy of a medical physics manometer depends on the type of manometer and the calibration process. Most manometers have an accuracy of within 1-2% of the actual pressure being measured.

5. Are there any safety precautions to consider when using a medical physics manometer?

Yes, there are some safety precautions to consider when using a medical physics manometer. It is important to use the correct type of manometer for the specific application and to follow proper handling and disposal procedures for the liquid used in the manometer. It is also important to regularly calibrate the manometer to ensure accurate readings.