1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Medical Physics programs

1. Aug 23, 2011 #1
    Hey, I am a third year double major in astronomy and physics with a 3.4 gpa and currently doing research in the astronomy department at a big name midwestern school. I have been heavily interested in pursuing a masters in medical physics and was wondering what my chances are to being accepted into an accredited medical physics program. Also was wondering what else I could do to make myself more attractive to prospective schools? Would appreciate any help. Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 24, 2015 #2
    • Previous research experience and accomplishments, including participation in science fairs
    • Enrollment in laboratory and research-based courses
    • Involvement in research projects and publications
    • Expressed commitment to a career involving biomedical research
    • Undergraduate grade point average
    • Performance in undergraduate courses in the biological and physical sciences, physics and mathematics
    • Trends in academic performance
    • Degree difficulty of undergraduate academic program
    • Previous graduate-level study
    • Honors and awards for academic achievement
    • Performance on the Graduate Record Examinations (and, for international applicants, the Test of English as a Foreign Language and the Test of Written English)
    • Success in overcoming socio-economic and educational disadvantages
    • Letters of recommendation
    • Statement of purpose
    http://www.mdanderson.org/education...program/frequently-asked-questions/index.html

Above is a list of factors suggested by the UT MD Anderson program for consideration into their program.

While many Medical Physics programs prefer candidates with degrees in physics or engineering, non-physics majors with suitable curriculum can also apply. Additionally, I would also look at suggested coursework. For example, differential equations, computer programming courses, probability and statistics, linear algebra, complex analysis and such are courses frequently mentioned on many medical physics programs sites as required, recommended or preferred coursework.

4. Mar 24, 2015 #3

Choppy

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

I put up a few entries on my blog not too long ago that should help students thinking about a career in medical physics.

CAMPEP publishes statistics on things like the median GPA for admissions year to year (which I believe is in the 3.5 - 3.6 ballpark if memory serves). This of course depends on the program and the pool of applicants though.

I don't disagree with any of the bullets posted above.

Research experience will definitely help you - astronomy can actually give you some very relevant experience because there is a lot of cross-over between astronomy and medical imaging.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook