News Medicare Bill and now the immigration bill .

  • Thread starter phatmonky
  • Start date
55
2
Medicare Bill and now the immigration bill.....

I think this is pretty well ruining my wants for voting Bush in 2004 :frown: I had such hi hopes - what the hell is he doing?
 

GENIERE

Buck up Phatmonky – Its called stealing issues. A technique learned from the master B. Clinton. Look to the end game, not the foreplay, and be heartened.
 

Zero

Originally posted by GENIERE
Buck up Phatmonky – Its called stealing issues. A technique learned from the master B. Clinton. Look to the end game, not the foreplay, and be heartened.
Yeah, just remember that Bush is lying some 70% of the time(and napping the other 30%). Like everything else Bush does, it is all smoke and no fire.
 

kat

12
0
Lolol, too funny Zero.

Phatmonky-what problems do you see with both the medicaid and immigration policies?


Anybody remember what happened to immigrants the last time this administration offered an amnesty type registration program? Hint: It wasn't exactly what some expected...

It also may have something to do with this problem: http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story2&cid=808&u=/dowjones/20040107/bs_dowjones/200401071721001228&printer=1 [Broken]
But the IMF researchers said that won't be enough to address the government's long-term fiscal problems - including financing the Social Security
At any rate...having employed "immigrants" registering and paying taxes on that income without guaranteeing them permanent legal status is not neccesarily a baaad thing.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
55
2
Kat,

My problems with the two programs are as follows.

The medicare(medicaid? I thought medicaid was for poor people, medicare for older?)bill is a bloated bill that appears to help very few it is intended for. Personally, I am a fiscal conservative. This is some massive federal spending, that from my readings is not what I want to support. The medicare system needs a revamp IMO, not just more money and different deductibles thrown at it.


The immigration law is fine, for those already here. I don't mind that. What I do mind is that lack of longterm planning for this. Such a program needs domestic policy for EXISTING citizens as well. I HATE when Bush and others imply, or outright say, that there are jobs Americans won't do. I believe that much of these jobs are attributed to the fact that UI and other social services give no incentive for someone to pick up a low pay job while still job hunting (but alas, I am getting off track.)
The immigration bill is good in that it documents workers - but I can't find anything as far as what we will be doing to people who are still not documented after this. The bill is incomplete IMO.


I am open to more information on both of these bills, as I haven't read word for word all the way through. I do however wonder how I voted for a Republican who ironicall has such large amounts of federal spending (yes I am aware of 9/11 and need for additional security.)
 
55
2
Originally posted by Zero
Yeah, just remember that Bush is lying some 70% of the time(and napping the other 30%). Like everything else Bush does, it is all smoke and no fire.
what a retort!
 

Zero

Originally posted by phatmonky
what a retort!
Well, it is true. Bush likes to pass laws and then not fund the programs that the law creates, or to pull a bait and switch, like he did with the Medicare bill, which spends all kinds of money while actually reducing coverage for many seniors.

I don't know why you voted for such a POS either, you know that?
 

adrenaline

Science Advisor
97
3
Originally posted by Zero
Well, it is true. Bush likes to pass laws and then not fund the programs that the law creates, or to pull a bait and switch, like he did with the Medicare bill, which spends all kinds of money while actually reducing coverage for many seniors.

I don't know why you voted for such a POS either, you know that?
The medicare bill will actually hurt alot of seniors who have good drug coverage as part of their retirement plan. Many companies are planning to pull out of subsidising drugs now that they can shoulder the responsibility on the tax payers and government.

As for the illegal immigration issue, it's obvious the Republican party wants to win over a relatively conservative minority group (Latinos now outnumber or are close to outnumbering the African Americans). This is probably a way to win over those who are legal voters, many of whom no doubt have families or friends who are illegals.
 

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
7,093
173
Originally posted by Zero
Yeah, just remember that Bush is lying some 70% of the time(and napping the other 30%). Like everything else Bush does, it is all smoke and no fire.


My parents received a monthly $10 increase in their SS payments, and a $40 decrease in medical benefits.
 

Monique

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
4,104
63
So I am curious: what exactly is this new immigration bill? Is it true that visitors cannot stay in the US longer than 15 days??
 

Zero

Originally posted by Ivan Seeking


My parents received a monthly $10 increase in their SS payments, and a $40 decrease in medical benefits.
There was a narrow class of people who DID see a benefit...many more gte hurt by it.
 

Related Threads for: Medicare Bill and now the immigration bill .

  • Posted
Replies
11
Views
2K
  • Posted
2
Replies
46
Views
5K
  • Posted
Replies
9
Views
4K
  • Posted
Replies
23
Views
5K
  • Posted
Replies
3
Views
3K
  • Posted
Replies
19
Views
3K
  • Posted
Replies
1
Views
2K
  • Posted
Replies
17
Views
4K

Physics Forums Values

We Value Quality
• Topics based on mainstream science
• Proper English grammar and spelling
We Value Civility
• Positive and compassionate attitudes
• Patience while debating
We Value Productivity
• Disciplined to remain on-topic
• Recognition of own weaknesses
• Solo and co-op problem solving

Hot Threads

Top