1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics Medicine or physics?

1. Jan 28, 2009 #1
    Medicine or physics???

I'm in the 2nd year of a science/med dual degree this year. I start med next year. However, I really want to learn physics and maths to an advanced level. I was very good at maths and physics at high school. I really enjoy maths and physics. I haven't done any maths or physics at university - only biology. However, I have been teaching myself uni level calculus and linear algebra during the past week and found it pretty easy.

I don't really know if I want to go to med school. I have heard that if there's anything else you'd rather do than medicine, then do it. The only reason I'm going to med school is to do research afterwards. The research I am going to do is in neuroscience. I'll be doing a PhD during the med degree as well.

I would love to learn a lot of physics but I don't think I'm going to have any time once I start med school. I know I will excel in whatever career I enter but I don't know what I will enjoy more. I hate rote memorizing things. I disliked biology last year for that reason. I love solving problems and working things out. I know I will be able to do that in neuroscience research but an academic career in theoretical physics also appeals to me.

Any advice?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 28, 2009 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Re: Medicine or physics???

An engineer friend of mine went back and got his MD, and is now a very successful OBGYN. He told me that Med school was easy for him, because he's always been good at memorization. He said that about half of Med School was memorization (at least in the first year or two). Not sure how that meshes with your comment about hating rote memorization....

Guess you could take an anatomy class or two earlier rather than later -- that will give you a flavor of early Med School....

4. Jan 28, 2009 #3

I've done an anatomy class and hated hated hated it. It was unbelievably boring and dry. I especially hated learning the muscles and their origins and insertions.

5. Jan 28, 2009 #4

berkeman

Why do you need an MD to do research in Neuroscience? If you loved medicine and patient contacts, then fine, do the MD. But it sounds like you don't like what Med School is going to focus on for 1-2 years, aren't interested in the patient contacts in clinicals the following years, and won't be using your MD for much in your final chosen occupation. What am I missing here?

more -- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medical_education

6. Jan 28, 2009 #5

I'm in Australia so it's an MBBS not an MD. I think it makes it a lot easier to get funding and positions at top universities if I have the med degree as well as the PhD. I plan on coming to the USA to do research after med school.

7. Jan 28, 2009 #6

berkeman

Maybe just partner up with an MD for those grant proposals....

8. Jan 28, 2009 #7

That's sort of a myopic position on such a great opportunity as having an MD/PhD. You can go beyond research and teaching like in the traditional academic track and do actual clinical stuff as well. It's more than just "derp I can do pepul now", and I feel that's sort of omitted whenever the subject is brought up.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?