Medicine & Physics -- Question about chest tube suction techniques

In summary: So long as the pressure difference is not too large, the water in the middle bottle will stay at the same level and the water in the left bottle will rise.
Sarah00

Homework Statement

Hi,
I'm a junior doctor. It's been so long since I had physics!
I've question about tube that's placed in chest cavity to drain air/fluid/etc.
image008.jpg

The second bottle, is under-water seal bottle.
I know that its purpose is to prevent air moving TO the patient. but how?
The "trap bottle" has air! why can't it go to the patient??

Homework Equations

P=F/a?

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think my question was very clear..

The picture was about chest tube.
Which has different types.
The pic in previous post is called 3-chamber..

there is another thing which is single-chamber:
which is in figure A:
X2604-C-42.png

This is pretty easy .. like if I have a cup filled with water and a straw. I can't suck air from the cup but I can blow air into the cup
but in 3-chamber. why I can't suck air from the bottle?

Trying to do so would raise water in the pipe of the middle bottle, until the pressure difference stops the reverse flow (or until liquid from the middle bottle reaches the left bottle, or you drain so much liquid from the second bottle that air does enter the pipe there).
Ideally, this stops reverse flow before air reached the end of the pipe going to (coming from) the patient.

Thanks.
"until the pressure difference stops the reverse flow" can you explain how? by reminding me with the physics principle or something like that

Sucking up water in the middle bottle needs a lower pressure in the left bottle (compared to the middle one). A higher water level in the pipe needs a larger pressure difference. For every fixed pressure difference there will be some equilibrium, as long as the water does not rise high enough to flow downwards into the left bottle.

1. How does chest tube suction work?

Chest tube suction is a technique used to remove air, fluid, or blood from the chest cavity. It involves inserting a tube into the chest through an incision, and connecting it to a drainage system that applies negative pressure, allowing the excess fluid or air to be removed.

2. What is the purpose of chest tube suction in medicine?

Chest tube suction is primarily used to treat pneumothorax (collapsed lung), hemothorax (blood in the chest cavity), or pleural effusion (build-up of fluid in the chest cavity). It can also be used after surgery to prevent air or fluid from accumulating in the chest.

3. Are there different techniques for chest tube suction?

Yes, there are two main techniques for chest tube suction: wet suction and dry suction. In wet suction, the drainage system is filled with sterile water, creating a column of water that applies negative pressure. In dry suction, a mechanical device is used to create the negative pressure.

4. How is the negative pressure level determined for chest tube suction?

The negative pressure level is typically determined by the healthcare provider based on the patient's condition and the amount of fluid or air that needs to be removed. It is usually set between -20 and -40 cm H2O.

5. Are there any risks or complications associated with chest tube suction?

As with any medical procedure, there are potential risks and complications with chest tube suction. These can include infection, bleeding, damage to surrounding organs, and re-expansion pulmonary edema (fluid accumulation in the lungs). It is important to closely monitor the patient and follow proper technique to minimize these risks.