Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Medieval fountains

1. Apr 30, 2006 #1
    Hello,
    During the middle ages they had fountains, but they didn't have electricity. I tried to recreate one on a smaller scale, but I couldn't figure out how to get the water to pump back up without electricity. Does anyone know how to do this?
    Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 30, 2006 #2

Danger

Gold Member

I suspect, although I'm not sure, that these were based upon Artesian wells, wherein the water pressure from underground is high enough to provide its own pumping to an above-surface reservois.

4. Apr 30, 2006 #3

dav2008

Gold Member

Another guess would be that they just fed water that was going downhill into the fountain.

5. Apr 30, 2006 #4

Danger

Gold Member

Good point, Sir Squirrel. That's an easier way to do it, if such a supply is available. I hadn't thought of it because I was envisioning a flat environment.

6. Apr 30, 2006 #5
    I can't believe I didn't think about that. Thanks alot!

7. Apr 30, 2006 #6

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Pumps have been around a looooong time. There are lots of ways that it can be done. A simple water-wheel will do it.

8. Apr 30, 2006 #7

Danger

Gold Member

True, Russ, but the pictures that I've seen of these things generally show them as stand-alone fixtures in the middle of a town square. There's no evidence of external pumping apparatus. Granted, they're wood-cut printings, but those do tend to be historically accurate.

9. May 1, 2006 #8
    "Fountains throughout the Alhambra spurt water propelled by gravity and water pressure. Without the aid of electricity, the water flows continuously through a labyrinth of complex underground channels"

So, I guess you just need mountain streams close at hand. Or if you have no natural sources then I suppose a large supply of peasants. :devil:

10. May 1, 2006 #9

DaveC426913

Gold Member

No, you'd see the lumpiness of bodies in the water. Definitely just water going through those fountains.:approve:

11. May 1, 2006 #10
    Yeah...... those peasants had a rought time. :smile:

12. May 1, 2006 #11
    Unfortunately I don't have a large supply of peasants.:smile:

13. May 2, 2006 #12

Danger

Gold Member

You can have some of mine. It's getting too expensive to feed them.

14. May 9, 2006 #13

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Don't feel too bad GeekyGuy, I was 5 years old before I realized toilets weren't electric. :redface:

15. May 11, 2006 #14
    A windmill can pump it back up hill, somewhat. Or, if you have a good flowing stream nearby you might use a water ram to raise the water first. There are losses of course. Entropy rules!!

As far as I know the medieval fountains were/are flow through. Fed by springs, artesian wells, dams and aqueducts.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?