Create a Medieval Fountain Without Electricity

• Thread starter GeekyGuy
  • Start date
In summary: There may have been some pumps, but they would not have been necessary for gravity to operate the fountain.In summary, the fountains in the middle ages were based upon Artesian wells and had water flowing through them without the need for electricity.
GeekyGuy
Hello,
During the middle ages they had fountains, but they didn't have electricity. I tried to recreate one on a smaller scale, but I couldn't figure out how to get the water to pump back up without electricity. Does anyone know how to do this?
Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I suspect, although I'm not sure, that these were based upon Artesian wells, wherein the water pressure from underground is high enough to provide its own pumping to an above-surface reservois.

Another guess would be that they just fed water that was going downhill into the fountain.

Good point, Sir Squirrel. That's an easier way to do it, if such a supply is available. I hadn't thought of it because I was envisioning a flat environment.

I can't believe I didn't think about that. Thanks alot!

Pumps have been around a looooong time. There are lots of ways that it can be done. A simple water-wheel will do it.

True, Russ, but the pictures that I've seen of these things generally show them as stand-alone fixtures in the middle of a town square. There's no evidence of external pumping apparatus. Granted, they're wood-cut printings, but those do tend to be historically accurate.

"Fountains throughout the Alhambra spurt water propelled by gravity and water pressure. Without the aid of electricity, the water flows continuously through a labyrinth of complex underground channels"

So, I guess you just need mountain streams close at hand. Or if you have no natural sources then I suppose a large supply of peasants. :devil:

H_man said:
So, I guess you just need mountain streams close at hand. Or if you have no natural sources then I suppose a large supply of peasants. :devil:
No, you'd see the lumpiness of bodies in the water. Definitely just water going through those fountains.:approve:

Yeah... those peasants had a rought time. :smile:

H_man said:
Or if you have no natural sources then I suppose a large supply of peasants. :devil:
Unfortunately I don't have a large supply of peasants.:smile:

You can have some of mine. It's getting too expensive to feed them.

GeekyGuy said:
Hello,
During the middle ages they had fountains, but they didn't have electricity. I tried to recreate one on a smaller scale, but I couldn't figure out how to get the water to pump back up without electricity. Does anyone know how to do this?
Thanks.
Don't feel too bad GeekyGuy, I was 5 years old before I realized toilets weren't electric. :redface:

A windmill can pump it back up hill, somewhat. Or, if you have a good flowing stream nearby you might use a water ram to raise the water first. There are losses of course. Entropy rules!

As far as I know the medieval fountains were/are flow through. Fed by springs, artesian wells, dams and aqueducts.

1. What materials do I need to create a medieval fountain without electricity?

To create a medieval fountain without electricity, you will need a large basin or container to hold water, a water source such as a well or nearby stream, piping or tubing to carry the water, a pump or gravity system to circulate the water, and decorative elements such as stones or statues.

2. How can I ensure that my medieval fountain will have a steady flow of water without electricity?

There are a few options for creating a steady flow of water in a medieval fountain without electricity. One option is to use a gravity system, where the water flows from a higher source to a lower basin. Another option is to use a hand-powered pump, which can be operated by turning a crank or lever.

3. Can I add lighting to my medieval fountain without using electricity?

Yes, you can add lighting to your medieval fountain without using electricity. Candles or oil lamps can be placed around the fountain to provide a soft glow, or you can use solar-powered lights if you want a more modern touch.

4. How can I make my medieval fountain look authentic?

To make your medieval fountain look authentic, consider using natural materials such as stone, wood, and plants. You can also incorporate medieval design elements such as arches, columns, and intricate carvings. Adding a statue or gargoyle to the fountain can also enhance its medieval aesthetic.

5. Are there any safety concerns I should be aware of when creating a medieval fountain without electricity?

Yes, there are a few safety concerns to keep in mind when creating a medieval fountain without electricity. Make sure to properly secure any piping or tubing to prevent leaks or accidents. If using candles or oil lamps for lighting, be cautious of fire hazards. And if using a pump, make sure to use it according to the manufacturer's instructions to avoid any potential injuries.