Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Medium between poles of magnets

1. Sep 12, 2007 #1
    hello guys, I finally decided to join a forum online and starting asking my " brilliant" :-0 questions..hehehe..oh man i have plenty of those..

OK, am reading the book: understanding physics, by isac asimov. And i am reading about magnetisim now, and its stated two things that bugged my simple mind.

1- the book mentioned that a paramagnetic material as a medium ( with big permeability) will actually weakens the force between two poles. ( and it gave an example stating that a bar of iron over both poles of a horse shoe magnet cuts down the magnetic field outside it self to a huge extent)

and on the other hand, a diamagnetic material with permeability less than one will increase the magnetic force between poles.

is this correct? plz explain :-)

2- it listed the force between two poles as: F= (pole 1 * pole 2) / (permeability * d^2) , with permeability in the denominator, ensuring the above.

while in wikipedia ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnet) section 9 its listed with the permeability in the numerator, meaning that the mentioned above in point 1 should be inversed.

plz help if u know the answer. i my self will ask around at my university, and see how it goes. ( however this not a course am taking..am actually doing comp eng, i just like reading physics :-)

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted