Jennifer's Hiccup Disturbance: My Story

• Thread starter tehno
  • Start date
In summary, Jennifer Mee experienced the same hiccup disturbance as a 6 year old kid. It lasted for (only) one day,but she still has fresh memory how awful it was. 50 times a minute, that seems terrible. She started again... after 5 weeks (ended just a couple of days ago).
Physics news on Phys.org
50 times a minute, that seems terrible. I get the hiccups very frequently, especially when eating bread, but usually a little bit of water stops them right away.

According to news reports, she stopped hiccuping after 5 weeks (ended just a couple of days ago).

Hmm, Jennifer Mee, that Jennifer is not me, I am me Jennifer. :rofl:

Lame. Imagine someone asking her: "Well, why didn't you just drink some water or hold your breath for 20 seconds?" :tongue2:

MeJennifer said:

Jennifer:are you from Florida by chance :rofl: :smile: ?

MeJennifer said:

:rofl: When I first saw the thread title, I was all ready to have to tell someone they should just contact you by PM if they wanted to talk to just you. :biggrin:

Something makes me think there's a psychological component to this girl's hiccups. In earlier articles, it said she'd stop hiccupping while sleeping, so it sounds like it wasn't just some uncontrollable spasm (or else it would more likely keep her from sleeping), and now they came back after a nosebleed. Sounds like she's getting herself worked up over something and this is some odd response to that.

Could it be a self-reinforcing subconsciousthing? She may have been getting quite a bit of attention while the hiccups were going on and maybe that's something that she's missing. Though it may have been physically uncomfortable to have constant hiccups, it might have been comforting in a way to have lots of people concerned about her well-being. I'm not a psychologist, but I would suspect that Jennifer has something in her life that is upsetting her and she is either unable or unwilling to get it out and address it. If it is physiological, it is a strange situation. I wish her luck, either way.

Last edited:
Hasn't it just got to be a neurological problem? Where is House when you need him?

turbo-1 said:
I'm not a psychologist, but I would suspect that Jennifer has something in her life that is upsetting her and she is either unable or unwilling to get it out and address it. If it is physiological, it is a strange situation.
Do you think too much thinking about GR or Cosmology might be the cause?

:smile:

1. What is "Jennifer's Hiccup Disturbance: My Story" about?

"Jennifer's Hiccup Disturbance: My Story" is a personal account of a woman named Jennifer who experienced a chronic hiccuping condition and the impact it had on her life.

2. Is this story based on a real person's experience?

Yes, "Jennifer's Hiccup Disturbance: My Story" is based on the true experience of a woman named Jennifer who shared her story with the author.

3. What causes hiccups and can they be serious?

Hiccups are caused by involuntary contractions of the diaphragm and can be triggered by various factors such as eating too quickly, consuming carbonated beverages, or experiencing stress. While hiccups are usually harmless and resolve on their own, they can be a symptom of an underlying medical condition in rare cases.

4. How did Jennifer cope with her chronic hiccups?

Jennifer tried various remedies and treatments such as holding her breath, drinking water, and taking medication, but ultimately found relief through acupuncture and lifestyle changes.

5. What message does "Jennifer's Hiccup Disturbance: My Story" convey?

The story highlights the challenges and struggles of living with a chronic condition and the importance of seeking support, finding effective coping mechanisms, and never giving up hope.