Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Meet an Admin: Borek

Tags:
  1. Jun 25, 2013 #1
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 25, 2013 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Good story, Borek! :rofl:

4. Jun 25, 2013 #3

Bandersnatch

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I can't believe it.
    Borek is the same Borek that was also Naczelny, Kopalny, etc., of Top Secret!

I blame you guys for spoiling my childhood. I should have gone out more, instead of playing games and reading your irreverent, absurdist magazine.

5. Jun 25, 2013 #4

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You've had a fascinating path through life, Borek.

Your thoughts on education really resonated with me. Every time I think about the education system, I get this nagging feeling that something is really not right. I just can't quite figure what it is.

6. Jun 25, 2013 #5

turbo

Gold Member

Love the narrative, Borek.

My early life was a series of stop-and-start issues, so I can empathize. I don't know if growing up in Maine was better or worse than in Soviet-controlled Poland. No way to compare.

7. Jun 25, 2013 #6
    Nice story

8. Jun 25, 2013 #7

Evo

Loved your story Borek!! :biggrin:

9. Jun 25, 2013 #8

marcusl

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hi Borek
    Thanks for the look at a strange far away galaxy!

BTW, you have quite a way with words--many of them are even used correctly :biggrin:

10. Jun 25, 2013 #9

WannabeNewton

Science Advisor

Omg The Witcher is the most awesome thing ever. Have you played both games? They are so brilliant.

11. Jun 25, 2013 #10

Mark44

Very interesting, Borek!

12. Jun 25, 2013 #11

Dembadon

Gold Member

I thoroughly enjoyed reading about your life, Borek.

My thoughts exactly!

13. Jun 25, 2013 #12
    I got frustrated with the second one.

14. Jun 25, 2013 #13

WannabeNewton

Science Advisor

Whyyy? Technical glitches?

15. Jun 25, 2013 #14

Borek

Its a small world, isn't it?

Google for Pixel Heaven 2013.

Up to 1996, since then it is mostly boring.

We were not under a strong ideological pressure, sure, many things were organized differently, economy was different, but I doubt as a 10 years old we would be able to name and understand serious differences. They were becoming more and important when we grew older.

I found when you write a lot and use a lot of words, some them land in the right places. I am just a monkey with a typewriter.

16. Jun 25, 2013 #15
    Nah, you're a very humble person, but your writing style is very refreshing and nice to read.

17. Jun 25, 2013 #16

Bandersnatch

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'll be there in 2014!

18. Jun 25, 2013 #17
    . . . what did you do in Chemistry Borek? Chemist to a chemist? How can someone not ask that question since you consider yourself a prodigy? I mean I didn't do much, made alanine from scratch but you'll know that ain't no hill. The department head, whom I had asked to do a "special synthesis", looked at me with suspicion and asked, "what kind of synthesis?" Suppose that response was warranted since I did pot with him and a group of students at a party at his house the previous year.

Anyways, I'm just curious what you did on your own in Chemistry that wasn't part of the curriculum?

19. Jun 25, 2013 #18

Evo

I believe Borek said others considered him a prodigy, not he himself, he said he got along not by doing the best, but I have no doubt he would have been had he had a better school experience.

I see that too much, really bright students discouraged by teachers and/or the school policies.

20. Jun 25, 2013 #19

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Wow! What can I say. Interesting life.
    My first wife was Czechoslovak, born in the the 50's escaped in the late 60's. So that galaxy far far away you speak of is known to me.

I also know about that waiting on computers you mention. I did my BS in math doing mainly numerical analysis courses on my Apple II. I completed every Numerical analysis course offered by OSU between 1980 and 1984.
    One of the models I did took over 12hrs to run. .

21. Jun 25, 2013 #20

berkeman

Well we certainly know now which Mentor/Admin has the best sense of humor! :smile:

22. Jun 25, 2013 #21
    . . . same dif.

I was just askin' for a little bit of chemistry that's all since I majored in Chemistry and loved it.

23. Jun 27, 2013 #22

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

God, I hated chemistry. I took this test once and accidently picked water as a combustible material because it was composed of hydrogen and oxygen.

24. Jun 27, 2013 #23

drizzle

Gold Member

The beginning of the story definitely hooked me! I LOVE IT!
    I'll be back to read the rest..multiple times. :biggrin:

25. Jun 28, 2013 #24

drizzle

Gold Member

Unfortunately, I'm not aware of Poland's rich history, maybe I'll start to read more. Nonetheless, that was quite an interview. Thanks for sharing Borek. :smile:

Ps. I was expecting more details when it comes to Marzena.. :biggrin:

26. Jun 28, 2013 #25

Borek

Whatever I did, disappeared with flash, smoke and noise.

Seriously, the only experimental part I even did by myself was small scale pyrotechnics. Still, even on small scale it can get dangerous.

That has to wait for "Meet an Admin's wife" series.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook