Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Meet an Admin: Borek

Tags:
  1. Jun 25, 2013 #1
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 25, 2013 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Good story, Borek! :rofl:

4. Jun 25, 2013 #3

Bandersnatch

Science Advisor

I can't believe it.
    Borek is the same Borek that was also Naczelny, Kopalny, etc., of Top Secret!

I blame you guys for spoiling my childhood. I should have gone out more, instead of playing games and reading your irreverent, absurdist magazine.

5. Jun 25, 2013 #4

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You've had a fascinating path through life, Borek.

Your thoughts on education really resonated with me. Every time I think about the education system, I get this nagging feeling that something is really not right. I just can't quite figure what it is.

6. Jun 25, 2013 #5

turbo

Gold Member

Love the narrative, Borek.

My early life was a series of stop-and-start issues, so I can empathize. I don't know if growing up in Maine was better or worse than in Soviet-controlled Poland. No way to compare.

7. Jun 25, 2013 #6
    Nice story

8. Jun 25, 2013 #7

Evo

Loved your story Borek!! :biggrin:

9. Jun 25, 2013 #8

marcusl

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hi Borek
    Thanks for the look at a strange far away galaxy!

BTW, you have quite a way with words--many of them are even used correctly :biggrin:

10. Jun 25, 2013 #9

WannabeNewton

Science Advisor

Omg The Witcher is the most awesome thing ever. Have you played both games? They are so brilliant.

11. Jun 25, 2013 #10

Mark44

Very interesting, Borek!

12. Jun 25, 2013 #11

Dembadon

Gold Member

I thoroughly enjoyed reading about your life, Borek.

My thoughts exactly!

13. Jun 25, 2013 #12
    I got frustrated with the second one.

14. Jun 25, 2013 #13

WannabeNewton

Science Advisor

Whyyy? Technical glitches?

15. Jun 25, 2013 #14

Borek

Its a small world, isn't it?

Google for Pixel Heaven 2013.

Up to 1996, since then it is mostly boring.

We were not under a strong ideological pressure, sure, many things were organized differently, economy was different, but I doubt as a 10 years old we would be able to name and understand serious differences. They were becoming more and important when we grew older.

I found when you write a lot and use a lot of words, some them land in the right places. I am just a monkey with a typewriter.

16. Jun 25, 2013 #15
    Nah, you're a very humble person, but your writing style is very refreshing and nice to read.

17. Jun 25, 2013 #16

Bandersnatch

Science Advisor

I'll be there in 2014!

18. Jun 25, 2013 #17
    . . . what did you do in Chemistry Borek? Chemist to a chemist? How can someone not ask that question since you consider yourself a prodigy? I mean I didn't do much, made alanine from scratch but you'll know that ain't no hill. The department head, whom I had asked to do a "special synthesis", looked at me with suspicion and asked, "what kind of synthesis?" Suppose that response was warranted since I did pot with him and a group of students at a party at his house the previous year.

Anyways, I'm just curious what you did on your own in Chemistry that wasn't part of the curriculum?

19. Jun 25, 2013 #18

Evo

I believe Borek said others considered him a prodigy, not he himself, he said he got along not by doing the best, but I have no doubt he would have been had he had a better school experience.

I see that too much, really bright students discouraged by teachers and/or the school policies.

20. Jun 25, 2013 #19

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Wow! What can I say. Interesting life.
    My first wife was Czechoslovak, born in the the 50's escaped in the late 60's. So that galaxy far far away you speak of is known to me.

I also know about that waiting on computers you mention. I did my BS in math doing mainly numerical analysis courses on my Apple II. I completed every Numerical analysis course offered by OSU between 1980 and 1984.
    One of the models I did took over 12hrs to run. .

21. Jun 25, 2013 #20

berkeman

Well we certainly know now which Mentor/Admin has the best sense of humor! :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook