Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mega doses of Vitamins

1. Jul 21, 2013 #1

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I have never thought of Linus Pauling as a quack but this article seems to indicate otherwise. I find the last paragraph rather misleading.

If fails to mention that he was 93yrs old.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 21, 2013 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Yes, it's sad that people that are great in some things become quacks in others. I had read studies many years ago showing that Pauling was wrong about vitamin C. There are many studies that have repeatedly shown him wrong.

http://www.cancer.org/treatment/tre...vemedicine/herbsvitaminsandminerals/vitamin-c

4. Jul 21, 2013 #3

Curious3141

Homework Helper

Lots of "great" people (in one field) believe lots of crazy things in other areas. For example, William Shockley's (and to a lesser extent, James Watson's) "scientific racism", Kary Mullis' cranky HIV-denial, Josephson's beliefs about telepathy, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's (who wasn't a Nobel winner like the preceding lot, but was a physician and an eminent writer) belief in fairies and the occult. The list is endless. Even highly intelligent, high-achieving individuals are capable of delusional thought. The danger is that these thoughts get a much wider and more serious airing because of their prominence. The moral is that argument from authority is almost always flawed.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2013
  5. Jul 21, 2013 #4

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

IMO, that's why the peer review process is so important.

6. Jul 21, 2013 #5

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The problem with these 'amazing claims' is they are killing people. Talk to your doctor. That is the only expert you should trust.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2013
  7. Jul 23, 2013 #6
    I would hope that a reasonably intelligent person would be able to see through the "amazing claims."

Doctors have very little training in nutrition. I see a nurse practitioner who has taken may more hours of nutritional training and study than the MD she works under.

As she puts it: "Few people eat that well balanced diet we are always talking about."

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2430660/

BTW the new buzz word is, antioxidants, and this isn't referring to vitamins.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook