Calculating Mega-Tsunami Energy and Wave Height Equations with Proofs and Charts

• Thread starter Orion1
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of mega-tsunamis and the equations and charts used to determine the energy and wave height of a tsunami. It also mentions the occurrence of seismicity rate changes before major earthquakes and the search for better earthquake precursors. The conversation also includes a report of a 4.7 magnitude earthquake in Melbourne, Australia and recent seismic activity in the Philippines.
Orion1

Mega-Tsunami

[tex]I_0 = 2.390*10^{-7} \; Megatons[/tex]
[tex]H_m = 2^m[/tex]
[tex]\tag{3} m = 2.61M - 18.44 = \log_2 H_m[/tex]
[tex]M = \log_{10} \frac{I_m}{I_0}[/tex]
[tex]M = \frac{\log_2 H_m + 18.44}{2.61} = \log_{10} \frac{I_m}{I_0} = \log_{10} I_m - \log_{10} I_0[/tex]
[tex]f_1 = \left( \left( \frac{\log_2 H_m + 18.44}{2.61} \right) + \log_{10}I_0 \right) = \log_{10} I_m[/tex]
[tex]I_m = 10^{f_1}[/tex]

These are my equations for Tsunami energy vs. wave height. Attachments 001-002 are development charts, which appear correct. Chart 003 is the chart generated from these equations and the one I am attempting to prove.

If anyone could post the proof for the Iida equation linking Iida magnitude (m) with the earthquake magnitude (M), which triggered the Tsunami from equation (3) above and reference 1 below, and verify that my equations and chart 003 are properly formatted and correct, it would be greatly appreciated.

Reference:
http://www.enseeiht.fr/hmf/travaux/CD0001/travaux/optsee/hym/2/pa02.htm
https://www.physicsforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=2237
https://www.physicsforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=2238
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=57841&page=1

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    3.6 KB · Views: 400
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    3.5 KB · Views: 414
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    4.6 KB · Views: 425
Earth sciences news on Phys.org
i came across seismicity rate change before major quake..
and also changes in majority of large magnitude earthquake...

it is usually seen that before major earthquakes there is first increase in seismicity rate and then a sudden decrease in seismicity...i understand this decrease in seismicity that i must be due to stress build up in the faults..but y is this increase ?
if this increase which we are considering a foreshock is aftershock of some previous earthquake then increase is understood as fall in stress ...if there is any better earthquake precursors??...
which is this most studied earthquake precursors?

Last edited:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20090306/wl_asia_afp/australiaquake [Broken]

MELBOURNE (AFP) – Australia's second-largest city, Melbourne, was shaken by an earthquake Friday, but police said there were no immediate reports of damage or casualties.

. . . .
The United States Geological Survey said the 4.7 magnitude quake struck about 96 kilometres (59 miles) southeast of Melbourne shortly before 9.00 pm (1000 GMT) at a depth of 10 kilometres.
. . . .
"We are in Gippsland in Krowera, and the Earth tremor sounded like an explosion here," another resident said.

"[It] felt like something very big had hit the house. Our power also went out for about eight to 10 minutes."
. . . .

Magnitude 4.7
Date-Time:
Friday, March 06, 2009 at 09:55:38 UTC
Friday, March 06, 2009 at 08:55:38 PM at epicenter

Location 38.377°S, 145.714°E
Depth 10 km (6.2 miles)

90 km (55 miles) SE of MELBOURNE, Victoria, Australia
120 km (75 miles) ESE of Geelong, Victoria, Australia

Not a biggie.

Earthquakes
Magnitude 6.9 KERMADEC ISLANDS REGION February 18, 2009
Magnitude 7.2 KEPULAUAN TALAUD, INDONESIA February 11, 2009

Lots of activity along the Sunda extension and the boundary of the Australia, Asia and Pacific tectonic plates.

Last edited by a moderator:
hi all

The seismic waves have finally started to fade away after todays M6.5 quake in the Philippines
Centred in the northern part of the island of Leyte

M 6.5 - 3km NNE of Masarayao, Philippines
Time: 2017-07-06 08:03:57 (UTC)
Depth: 6.5 km

170706 0803UT M6.5 Nthrn Leyte, Philippines zhi.gif

regional location map ...

6.5 phils 1.JPG

zoomed in ...

6.5 phils 2.JPG
cheers
Dave

What is a mega-tsunami?

A mega-tsunami is a rare and extremely powerful type of tsunami that can reach heights of over 100 meters and travel much further inland compared to a regular tsunami. Mega-tsunamis are caused by large-scale geological events such as underwater landslides, volcanic eruptions, or asteroid impacts.

How is the energy of a mega-tsunami calculated?

The energy of a mega-tsunami can be calculated using the equation E = 0.5 * ρ * g * H * A * V2, where ρ is the density of water, g is the acceleration due to gravity, H is the wave height, A is the cross-sectional area of the wave, and V is the velocity of the wave. By plugging in the appropriate values, we can determine the amount of energy released by a mega-tsunami.

What is the relationship between energy and wave height in a mega-tsunami?

The energy of a mega-tsunami is directly proportional to the wave height. This means that as the wave height increases, so does the amount of energy released by the wave. This is why mega-tsunamis are so destructive, as their high wave heights correspond to an enormous amount of energy.

How are wave height equations for mega-tsunamis derived?

The wave height equations for mega-tsunamis are derived using a combination of theoretical and empirical methods. Theoretical calculations involve using mathematical models and equations to predict the behavior of a mega-tsunami, while empirical data is gathered from past events and used to validate and refine these models. The resulting equations are then used to estimate the potential wave height of future mega-tsunamis.

Why is it important to understand mega-tsunami energy and wave height?

Understanding mega-tsunami energy and wave height is crucial for predicting and preparing for potential future events. By accurately calculating the energy and wave height, scientists can estimate the potential impact of a mega-tsunami and develop evacuation plans and other safety measures to protect vulnerable coastal areas. This knowledge can also aid in the design and construction of buildings and infrastructure to withstand the immense force of a mega-tsunami.

Back