Calculating Speed and Acceleration of a Gas Blob Orbiting a Massive Black Hole

• I
  • Thread starter naushaan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gas
In summary, the conversation discussed a mega-maser-emitting blob of gas in orbit around a massive black hole with a mass of 10^6 solar masses. The question was posed about the speed and acceleration of the blob, which was explained using orbital mechanics formulas. The idea of astrophysical masers was also mentioned.
naushaan
TL;DR Summary
Hi everyone,
I'm confused with how to calculate the speed and accelerations of gas blobs emitted from mega-masers in orbit around massive black holes in the centre of a galaxy.
A mega-maser-emitting blob of gas is in orbit around a massive black hole in the centre of a galaxy. The black hole has a mass of 106 solar masses, and the blob of gas is in a circular orbit one light year away. What is the speed and acceleration of the blob?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
This is a simple orbital mechanics problem. What is the speed and acceleration of an object orbiting at a distance R around a body of mass M? By the way, I suspect you mean 10^6 solar masses, not 106 solar masses.

phyzguy said:
This is a simple orbital mechanics problem. What is the speed and acceleration of an object orbiting at a distance R around a body of mass M? By the way, I suspect you mean 10^6 solar masses, not 106 solar masses.

Did he ask that? You could read it as an object (mega-maser) launching something (a blob). The object has the orbital mechanics. If it really is just a maser then the emission travels at light speed.

I am not sure if I understood astrophysical masers. I thought the molecules were all around an object and not necessarily in a particular orbit.

stefan r said:
Did he ask that? You could read it as an object (mega-maser) launching something (a blob). The object has the orbital mechanics. If it really is just a maser then the emission travels at light speed.

I am not sure if I understood astrophysical masers. I thought the molecules were all around an object and not necessarily in a particular orbit.
I don't know how else to interpret, "the blob of gas is in a circular orbit one light year away. What is the speed and acceleration of the blob?"

phyzguy said:
I don't know how else to interpret, "the blob of gas is in a circular orbit one light year away. What is the speed and acceleration of the blob?"

yes i think that's exactly how to do it, i think i figured it out by using the formulas a=v^4/GM and v=(GM/r)^1/2. thank you!

1. What are megamasers and blobs of gas?

Megamasers and blobs of gas are astronomical objects that emit intense radio waves at specific wavelengths. Megamasers are a type of maser, which is a naturally occurring microwave version of a laser. Blobs of gas, also known as gas clouds, are large collections of gas in space that can range in size from a few light-years to hundreds of thousands of light-years.

2. How are megamasers and blobs of gas formed?

Megamasers are formed when gas molecules are stimulated by radiation from a nearby source, causing them to emit intense radio waves. Blobs of gas are formed through various processes, such as supernova explosions, galaxy mergers, and gravitational interactions between galaxies.

3. What can we learn from studying megamasers and blobs of gas?

Studying megamasers and blobs of gas can provide valuable information about the physical conditions and dynamics of the gas in these objects. They can also help us understand the formation and evolution of galaxies, as well as the role of gas in the growth of supermassive black holes.

4. What are some current research areas related to megamasers and blobs of gas?

Some current research areas related to megamasers and blobs of gas include studying the properties and distribution of megamasers in distant galaxies, investigating the role of gas in the formation of massive galaxies, and using megamasers as tools to measure cosmological distances.

5. How are megamasers and blobs of gas detected and observed?

Megamasers and blobs of gas are primarily detected and observed using radio telescopes, which are able to detect the intense radio waves emitted by these objects. Other techniques, such as infrared and optical observations, can also be used to study the gas and structures associated with megamasers and blobs of gas.