Exploring the Megascale Centripetal Forces: A Hypothetical Scenario

In summary, the conversation discusses a hypothetical situation where a highly advanced human civilization builds a spaceship at the edge of the galaxy and accelerates it to 99.99% the speed of light. They then orbit around the galaxy, completing a trip every 300,000 years. The question is raised whether they would be able to notice or survive the centripetal forces at this distance and speed. The conversation also touches on the concept of relativity and the importance of a frame of reference when making calculations.
Jota
This question may sound ignorant. When it comes to physics, I guess you could say I'm physically challenged. Still, I would appreciate any and all help given.

Assume a future, highly advanced human civilization built a spaceship at the edge of the galaxy. The ship slowly started accelerating, and did not cease until it reached 99.99 percent the speed of light. It then orbited around the galaxy, thus making a complete trip around roughly once every 300,000 years. At this distance, and at this speed, would they be able to notice, and/or survive the centripetal forces?

Physics news on Phys.org
Jota said:
This question may sound ignorant. When it comes to physics, I guess you could say I'm physically challenged. Still, I would appreciate any and all help given.
Some people who are not completely familiar with physics ask questions and learn. Some others who are not completely familiar will attempt to "disprove" physics. I'm always happy to see more of the former :)

Assume a future, highly advanced human civilization built a spaceship at the edge of the galaxy.
OK... for the sake of clarity, let's say the edge of the galaxy is about 47,750 lightyears from the center so later on we can calculate the circumference of the galaxy using 2 * pi * r.
The ship slowly started accelerating, and did not cease until it reached 99.99 percent the speed of light.
At this point, the question becomes a little vague for applying Special Relativity. You say the speed reaches 99.99% c, but to whom is this speed with respect to? In other words, where is the person/equipment located that is measuring this speed?
It then orbited around the galaxy, thus making a complete trip around roughly once every 300,000 years.
It takes 300,000 years for whom? The inhabitants of the ship?
At this distance, and at this speed, would they be able to notice, and/or survive the centripetal forces?
Well, I'm going to wait for your response to my questions before plugging and chugging. I, however, have a strong suspicion that all the numbers you mentioned are with respect to someone on Earth or some other planet in the galaxy (the numbers you bring up seem to make more sense that way).

p.s. Remember, it's called relativity because it's all relative with respect to a frame of reference.

Last edited:
relative

I did mean relative to someone on earth, but come to think of it, perhaps that wasn't the best reference point. Earth also moves (around the sun, and with the rotation of the galaxy), which might add more complicated calculations for ITS speed as well as the spaceship's. Since I'm not all that well versed in mathematics, either, I'd like to keep this as simple as possible. So now that I think about it, I should instead use as a reference point some people/persons who is/are, more or less, at some point that is completely still in space.

Not earth. Just a deep space station that is as completely still as possible.

1. What are megascale centripetal forces?

Megascale centripetal forces are large-scale forces that act towards the center of a rotating object, causing it to move in a circular motion.

2. How are megascale centripetal forces different from regular centripetal forces?

Megascale centripetal forces are significantly larger in magnitude compared to regular centripetal forces. They are usually caused by the rotation of massive objects, such as planets or galaxies, and can have a significant impact on the behavior of these objects.

3. What are some examples of megascale centripetal forces?

Some examples of megascale centripetal forces include the force of gravity that holds planets in orbit around a star, the centrifugal force that keeps galaxies together, and the force of rotation that creates the Earth's magnetic field.

4. How do scientists study megascale centripetal forces?

Scientists use various tools and techniques such as mathematical models, simulations, and observations from telescopes and satellites to study megascale centripetal forces. They also conduct experiments in controlled environments to better understand these forces.

5. What is the significance of studying megascale centripetal forces?

Studying megascale centripetal forces can help us understand the fundamental laws of physics and how they govern the behavior of large objects in the universe. It also has practical applications, such as helping us predict the movement and behavior of celestial bodies and designing structures and vehicles that can withstand these forces.