1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Megnetic force problem help

1. Jul 20, 2007 #1
    megnetic force problem help plz

A charged particle (q = +2.7 µC) moves at speed v0 = 50 m/s in the +x-direction. At x = 0 it enters a region where a constant magnetic field B = 3.4 T is directed in the +z direction ?

What are the component of electric field ?

i got the Ex and Ez which are Zero .. but i can;t figure out the Ey ?

so
    (a) what is Ey ?

here are the some hint :
    Use the Lorentz force law for the net force on a charged particle in a region containing both electric and magnetic fields. (The law is called the "electromagnetic force law" ). but i still can;t figure it out so plz help me out with this . thank you

If the incoming particle were replaced by one with the opposite electric charge but the same initial velocity, what electric field would be required to ensure a straight line motion? (Magnetic field is unchanged.)

(b) again what is Ey' ?

Last edited: Jul 20, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 20, 2007 #2
    I think there is some information missing. Is an electric field already present?

4. Jul 20, 2007 #3

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Or maybe they are asking what external E field would result in the particle still moving at Vo only in the x direction?

vicks, can you please type out the question exactly as it is given to you?

5. Jul 20, 2007 #4
    I think it's equal to

=([dv/dt]*mass)/2.7

we aren't given either of them :(

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?