Solving for Ey in a Region with Electric and Magnetic Fields

• Thread starter vicks
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Force
In summary, the problem involves a charged particle moving in the +x direction in a region with a constant magnetic field of 3.4 T in the +z direction. The question asks for the component of the electric field, Ey, and provides a hint to use the Lorentz force law. It also asks what electric field would be required for the particle to move in a straight line with the same initial velocity if the charge was opposite. However, it is unclear if an electric field is already present or if the question is asking for an external electric field that would result in the same motion. The given equation for Ey is equal to ([dv/dt]*mass)/2.7, but the values for velocity and mass are not
vicks
megnetic force problem help please

A charged particle (q = +2.7 µC) moves at speed v0 = 50 m/s in the +x-direction. At x = 0 it enters a region where a constant magnetic field B = 3.4 T is directed in the +z direction ?

What are the component of electric field ?

i got the Ex and Ez which are Zero .. but i can;t figure out the Ey ?

so
(a) what is Ey ?

here are the some hint :
Use the Lorentz force law for the net force on a charged particle in a region containing both electric and magnetic fields. (The law is called the "electromagnetic force law" ). but i still can;t figure it out so please help me out with this . thank you

If the incoming particle were replaced by one with the opposite electric charge but the same initial velocity, what electric field would be required to ensure a straight line motion? (Magnetic field is unchanged.)

(b) again what is Ey' ?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think there is some information missing. Is an electric field already present?

Or maybe they are asking what external E field would result in the particle still moving at Vo only in the x direction?

vicks, can you please type out the question exactly as it is given to you?

I think it's equal to

=([dv/dt]*mass)/2.7

we aren't given either of them :(

1. What is magnetic force and how does it work?

Magnetic force is a fundamental force of nature that describes the attraction or repulsion between magnetic objects. This force is caused by the movement of electric charges, such as electrons, which create a magnetic field. The strength of the magnetic force is determined by the strength of the magnetic field and the distance between the objects.

2. How do I calculate the magnetic force between two objects?

The magnetic force between two objects can be calculated using the formula F = qvBsinθ, where F is the magnetic force, q is the charge of the object, v is the velocity of the object, B is the strength of the magnetic field, and θ is the angle between the object's velocity and the direction of the magnetic field.

3. What factors affect the strength of the magnetic force?

The strength of the magnetic force is affected by several factors, including the strength of the magnetic field, the distance between the objects, and the relative orientation of the objects' magnetic fields. The type of material the objects are made of can also impact the strength of the magnetic force.

4. How can I solve a magnetic force problem?

To solve a magnetic force problem, you will need to know the values of the variables in the formula F = qvBsinθ. You can then plug these values into the equation and solve for the magnetic force. It may also be helpful to draw a diagram to visualize the situation and determine the angle θ between the objects' velocities and magnetic fields.

5. Are there any real-world applications of magnetic force?

Yes, there are many real-world applications of magnetic force. Some common examples include the use of magnets in motors and generators, MRI machines in the medical field, and magnetic levitation in high-speed trains. Magnetic force is also used in many everyday items, such as speakers, credit cards, and computer hard drives.