1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Meiosis I Cell Division

1. Jan 19, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

If we follow meiosis in a diploid heterozygote, the two alleles are, following the first cell division,

a. no longer together in one cell
    b. together on a chromatid
    c. present only as mutants
    d. blended into a new mix
    e. chromatids

2. Relevant equations
    Not applicable?

3. The attempt at a solution

Is the correct choice a. no longer together in one cell? For example, let’s say there is a chromosome with B/B on it. (Each B is on a chromatid). Another chromosome has b/b (each b is on separate chromatid) on it. This homologous pairs lines up on the equatorial plate. After anaphase one daughter cell will house chromosome b/b and the other will house B/B?

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    If a pair of chromosomes at metaphase I contain the alleles A and A in one chromosome and a and a in the other chromosome, the first daughter cells will contain

a. either a and a or A and A
    b. either A and a or a and A
    c. A and a and A and a
    d. AB, Ab, aB, and ab
    e. a and z

2. Relevant equations
    Not applicable?

3. The attempt at a solution

Is the correct answer a. either a and a or A and A? At the end of the first division in telophase, one daughter cell will have a chromosome with A/A on it and the other daughter cell will have a chromosome with a/a on it?

Thanks.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?