1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Meissner Effect

1. Oct 2, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Consider a sphere of type 1 superconductor with critical field Hc. (a) Show that in the Meissner regime the effective magnetisation M ithin the sphere is given by [tex] -3B_a/2\mu_0[/tex] (where Ba is the uniform applied magnetic field).

(b) Show that the magnetic field at the surface of the sphere in the equatorial plane is [tex] 3B_a/2[/tex]. (It follows that the applied field at which the Meissner effect starts to break down is [tex] 2H_c/3[/tex].

Reminder: The demagnetisation field of a uniformly magnetised sphere is -M/3.

2. Relevant equations

[tex] H = H_a - H_d[/tex]

[tex] H_a = B_a/ \mu_0 + M[/tex]

[tex] m = MV [/tex] magnetic field of a magnetic dipole where V is the volume of the sphere

3. The attempt at a solution

The first part of this question is quite easy. I'm given the demagnetisation field for a uniformly magnetised sphere and I know that with the Meissner effect in superconductors, the field inside must be equal to 0. So I used the expression for the applied field (second equation) and substituted it into the first equation with Hd = -M/3. This was then set to 0 and I solved for M.

The second part of the question is what I really need help on. I don't really understand how to do this at all. I know that the magnetic field outside of the sphere is the magnetic field of a magnetic dipole, but I don't really know the significance of this. It was just a hint that we were meant to use this.

i.e. [tex] m = (4 \pi/3 )r^3M[/tex] r is the radius of the sphere

I'd appreciate any ideas on how to approach this second part of the problem. I'm sorry that I don't have much of an attempt for this, but I just don't have an idea of how to start this second part. You obviously need to consider that you are in equatorial plane, but I just can't see how to do this.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2007
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?