Solution for Melamine: Why is My Solution Solid?

• Thread starter a227589
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty in creating a melamine solution and determining the correct concentration. The individual used calculations and steps to create the solution, but it ended up being a solid instead of a clear solution. They also mention the possibility of the SciFinder data being incorrect and the presence of a contaminant, cyanuric acid. Further assistance is requested to determine the correct concentration and solubility of melamine.
a227589
Hi,

I need to make a melamine solution for my project right now. From SciFinder, I found the solubility of melamine in water is, 35g/L at pH=5, 262g/L at pH=4, and 1000g/L at pH=1~3. Therefore, I made the solution based on the following calculations and steps. However, what I got is totally solid. Could anyone help me find out what went wrong? Thanks!

1. To get a pH=4 solution. I used HCl to adjust the pH. Since the pKa of melamine is 5.66, at pH=4, most of melamine molecules are protonated. If the solution is saturated, [melamine]=262/126.2=2.08. (the molecular weight of melamine=126.2) And, based on its pKa, I got [protonated melamine]=2.04M, [unprotonated melamine]=0.4M. And, from this, the acid needed for this protonation is 2.04M (free protons=10^-4 M, which could be ignored, compared to 2.04M).

2. Then I made a solution based on this concentration. I saved some spaces for melamine since it's not dense and occupies some volume in the final solution.

3. I added melamine powder into the acidic solution and tried to use stir bar to mix.

4. And here comes the white solid. When I just added around 1/5 of the saturated level of melamine, it still didn't form a clear solution. You could see the powder in the beaker.

5. I tried to shake it under 37 degrees overnight, but it didn't work.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
I think you may need more hydrochloric acid. How many "protonable" nitrogens in melamine?

Last edited by a moderator:
Melamine will neutralize the acid since it is a base. You need to add the melamine powder to water and then drip in HCl until the pH goes to 4. You will need a pH meter or some way to measure the pH during the addition.

Can someone check if the concentration that I calculated is correct for me please? I added like, 10 ml of 9N HCl on top of the white solid that I got, but didn't see any changes even to the top part of the solid. And when I add just small amount of melamine (like, 1/5 of saturated amount) to ~4N HCl solution, it still remained insoluble. Is it possible that the solubility data from SciFinder is wrong? Thanks.

Cyanuric acid, the hydrolyzate of melamine, is likely a contaminant. It forms a salt with melamine and is not very soluble.

1. What is melamine?

Melamine is a chemical compound that is commonly used to produce a variety of products, including plastics, resins, and adhesives.

2. Why does my solution of melamine turn solid?

This is because melamine has a tendency to form a solid when it is dissolved in a solvent. This can be due to factors such as concentration, temperature, and the presence of other substances in the solution.

3. How can I prevent my melamine solution from turning solid?

To prevent your melamine solution from turning solid, you can try adjusting the concentration of the solution, using a different solvent, or adding a stabilizing agent to the solution.

4. Is a solid melamine solution still usable?

Yes, a solid melamine solution can still be usable. However, it may require additional steps to dissolve the solid before it can be used in its intended application.

5. What are the potential uses for a solid melamine solution?

A solid melamine solution can be used in a variety of applications, including as a fertilizer, flame retardant, and a component in the production of resins and plastics.