Melted cheese-like flow -- What is it called and its cause?

In summary, the conversation discusses the stringy flow of melted plastics, similar to melted cheese, and the search for its specific name and causes. It is suggested that this type of flow is called "laminar flow" and occurs in all polymers. The importance of molecular weight in polymers is also mentioned, as well as issues such as delamination and degrading. It is clarified that there is no turbulent flow in injection molding of thermoplastics, but it is possible in other polymer processes.
thepopasmurf
There are some plastics I am using that when melted, pull apart in a stringy way. My best comparison is like melted cheese in a sandwich.

I want to know more about this, but other than looking up 'polymer rheology', I'm not sure what I should call this type of flow. I want to know what causes it and if the molecular weight of the polymer is important.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Thermoforming. Vacuum forming. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermoforming
The string patterns form when unsupported thinner areas heat and soften more rapidly, then merge with the nearby string of cooler material.

Is this the effect?
Partially degraded polymers (i.e. - an mixture of monomers and longer chains) often have this property.
High tack polymers tend to be stringier. Exxon Escorez and other tackfier additives can be blended with other polymers to enhance this effect.

Likes Nidum
@Asymptotic, this effect seems close to what I am looking for. The wikipedia entry doesn't give much to build on, I guess 'stretching' and 'fingering' are the best things to look at.

In general it is non-Newtonian fluid flow . Most commonly encountered as visco-elastic flow though there are several other interesting variants .

Likes RheologyIsFun and Chestermiller
The degree of viscoelasticity increases with increasing molecular weight and poly-dispersivity.

Likes RheologyIsFun
Hey PopaSmurf,

A little more information is needed here such as the type of polymer you are using and is it glass filled, does it have lubricants or other additives?

The term for that type of flow is "laminar flow" and all polymers flow this way. essentially you have long polymer chains flowing side by side like two sheets of paper. There is no such thing as turbulent flow in plastics.

Molecular weight is very important in plastics as it dictates the quality of stiffness in the plastic as well as other properties. It will also give you an idea of how hard your polymer is to "push" (what pressures will I need to inject).

The string cheese effect you are describing sounds like de-lamination. This can be caused by degrading the material (temperatures are too high in the barrel or in the dryer), too much moisture being in your material or too high of a shear rate (injecting too fast).

I hope this helps!

Husky

MTU_Husky said:
Hey PopaSmurf,

A little more information is needed here such as the type of polymer you are using and is it glass filled, does it have lubricants or other additives?

The term for that type of flow is "laminar flow" and all polymers flow this way. essentially you have long polymer chains flowing side by side like two sheets of paper. There is no such thing as turbulent flow in plastics.
This is not correct. It is easily possible to achieve turbulent flow for polymers with low degree of polymerization.

Likes RheologyIsFun
Chestermiller said:
This is not correct. It is easily possible to achieve turbulent flow for polymers with low degree of polymerization.

I definitely misread the original post as I thought they were referring to injection molding plastic but after re-reading it they just stated this happens when melting the plastic. Do we know what method/process they are using to melt?

It will not let me update my original post so I will correct it here. There is no turbulent flow in injection molding thermoplastics and the reason I say that is because I have calculated the Reynolds number for several different polymers using a fill velocity of 400 in/s and the highest Reynold value I can calculate is around 160. The crazy part is I am using relatively low viscosity (about 5 - 10 poise taken from a viscosity vs. shear rate curve at 80,000 1/s), a 0.06" gate diameter and an extremely fast injection speeds (the fastest I have ever worked with is 35 in/s and I am using 400 in/s in my calculations), which all should raise my Reynolds number vs normal operating conditions.

I would be interested to see a polymer process where they would see turbulent flow. What industries and processes use these polymers and what does the turbulent flow achieve for them? If you have a generic or trade name I would be interested in comparing to my industry.

MTU_Husky said:
I definitely misread the original post as I thought they were referring to injection molding plastic but after re-reading it they just stated this happens when melting the plastic. Do we know what method/process they are using to melt?

It will not let me update my original post so I will correct it here. There is no turbulent flow in injection molding thermoplastics and the reason I say that is because I have calculated the Reynolds number for several different polymers using a fill velocity of 400 in/s and the highest Reynold value I can calculate is around 160. The crazy part is I am using relatively low viscosity (about 5 - 10 poise taken from a viscosity vs. shear rate curve at 80,000 1/s), a 0.06" gate diameter and an extremely fast injection speeds (the fastest I have ever worked with is 35 in/s and I am using 400 in/s in my calculations), which all should raise my Reynolds number vs normal operating conditions.

I would be interested to see a polymer process where they would see turbulent flow. What industries and processes use these polymers and what does the turbulent flow achieve for them? If you have a generic or trade name I would be interested in comparing to my industry.
I wasn't talking about any particular process. I was just saying that it is possible for polymers to exhibit turbulent flow.

What is "melted cheese-like flow"?

"Melted cheese-like flow" is a term used to describe the way a substance, typically a thick liquid or semi-solid, moves and flows in a similar manner to melted cheese.

What is the cause of melted cheese-like flow?

The cause of melted cheese-like flow is typically high temperatures or heating, which causes the substance to melt and become more fluid. In some cases, the addition of liquid, such as oil or water, can also contribute to this type of flow.

What is the scientific term for melted cheese-like flow?

The scientific term for melted cheese-like flow is "viscous flow." This term refers to the movement of a substance that is highly resistant to flow, similar to the way melted cheese can be thick and sticky.

What are some examples of substances that exhibit melted cheese-like flow?

Some examples of substances that exhibit melted cheese-like flow include melted cheese, molten lava, melted chocolate, and certain types of glues or resins when heated.

How does melted cheese-like flow differ from other types of flow?

Melted cheese-like flow differs from other types of flow, such as water flow or air flow, in its thickness and resistance. Unlike water or air, which can flow easily and quickly, melted cheese-like flow is much thicker and slower-moving due to its high viscosity.