1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Melting Ice

1. Feb 23, 2008 #1
    Aim: How does the volume of water at a given temperature affect the amount of ice that can melt in it?

I did a lab experiment. I put ice in different volumes of water and waited for 5minutes. I measured the amount of ice melted and the final temperature of water.

RESULT: (starting temp=18℃
    Volume of water in cup/ Volume of ice melted / Final temperature of water
    100ml / 12ml / 11℃
    200ml / 20ml / 12℃
    300ml / 25ml / 16℃
    400ml / 20ml / 16℃

This shows that as the volume of water increases at a given temperature, the volume of ice melted icreases. It also shows that the change in temperature decreases.

I do not understand why. and I can't explain. Please HELP!!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 23, 2008 #2
    Did you do any repeats in this experiment, or did you only do it once for each volume? I am saying this because if your results show a trend that does not agree with any theory then it will be difficult to find information supporting it. If you did three repeats for each volume then atleast you can say there was probably a higher degree of accuracy in your results when averaged.

4. Feb 23, 2008 #3
    Thanks for the reply. Yes. The results were almost the same.

5. Feb 24, 2008 #4
    You could draw a graph for both volume of water melted and volume of water. And another one for change in temperature and voume of water. Once you have drawn the graphs then you can comment on trends that the graphs shows and then dra a conclusion from them. I myself am not sure what the trend should be, but this is the way I would approach the problem. :smile:

6. Feb 24, 2008 #5
    Are you sure there isn't a typo in the table of your results?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?