Melting Point of three compounds

In summary, there are three semicarbazone compounds for which the requester is looking for literature values for their melting points or melting ranges. These compounds are 4-Methoxybenzaldehyde semicarbazone, Isopropylbenzaldehyde semicarbazone, and Carvone semicarbazone (either R or S diastereomers). The requester has been unable to find any values in the CRC or Novel tables and is asking for help or guidance. Suggestions given include trying a Beilstein search, checking the back of a lab textbook, and using chemfinder.com.
JM00404
Does anyone have or know where I can find literature values for the melting points (or melting ranges) of the following three semicarbazone compounds?

4-Methoxybenzaldehyde semicarbazone
Isopropylbenzaldehyde semicarbazone
Carvone semicarbazone (either the R or S diasteriomers)

I haven't been able to find any values in the CRC or the Novel tables.
Any help/guidance provided would me much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Did you try a Beilstein search of those derivatives? Also, when I took sophomore organic chem. my lab textbook had a whole table of derivatives in the back. You might check there, if you have a textbook for your lab section.

1. What is the melting point of a compound?

The melting point of a compound is the temperature at which it changes from a solid state to a liquid state. It is a characteristic physical property of a substance and can be used to identify and classify compounds.

2. Why is it important to know the melting point of a compound?

Knowing the melting point of a compound is important for several reasons. It can help determine the purity of a substance, as impurities can affect the melting point. It can also be used to identify unknown substances and to compare compounds with similar chemical structures.

3. How is the melting point of a compound determined?

The melting point of a compound is typically determined by using a melting point apparatus, which heats the substance at a controlled rate until it changes from a solid to a liquid. The temperature at which this occurs is recorded as the melting point.

4. What factors can affect the melting point of a compound?

The melting point of a compound can be affected by several factors, including impurities, pressure, and the rate at which the substance is heated. Additionally, the chemical structure and bonding of the compound can also play a role in its melting point.

5. How does the melting point of a compound relate to its physical and chemical properties?

The melting point of a compound is a physical property, meaning it can be observed and measured without changing the chemical composition of the substance. However, the melting point can also provide insights into the chemical properties of a compound, such as its molecular structure and intermolecular forces.