Finding the Highest Melting Point: A Guide

In summary: I'll have to do a little more research.In summary, the melting and boiling points of substances depend on the strength and polarity of their intermolecular attractions. Generally, ionic compounds have higher melting points because it takes more energy to break the crystal lattice structures they form. Covalent bonds are usually stronger than ionic bonds, but in certain cases such as diamond or silicon carbide, covalent crystals can have higher melting points than ionic crystals. It is important to note the difference between intermolecular and intramolecular attractions when comparing melting points.
kuahji
If you have a question such as "Which substance has the highest melting point?" & say these are the substances CH4, HF, He, CL2, how would you determine an answer? I'm not really looking for an answer to this particular question, but in general, there must be something I've forgotten in my chemistry classes... any links or just an explanation of the concept would be very helpful.

Physics news on Phys.org
What is responsible for melting and boiling points? What do they depend on?

I'm not trying to be rude, but I thought that was what I was asking. Its ok though, I'll just run a few google searches & hopefully something will pop up. Again, I'm not looking for an answer to the "specific" question asked, rather general information in the subject.

Ionic compounds melt at higher temperatures, because it takes more energy to break the crystal lattice structures they form.

In general, the stronger and more polar the bonding for the molecule, the higher the melting point.

kalery said:
Ionic compounds melt at higher temperatures, because it takes more energy to break the crystal lattice structures they form.

In general, the stronger and more polar the bonding for the molecule, the higher the melting point.

That doesn't sound right. Covaliant bonds are usually stronger than Ionic.

kuahji said:
I'm not trying to be rude, but I thought that was what I was asking.

No, you were asking which substance has the highest metling point, and I am trying to push you in the right direction :smile:

Why do molecules in crystal keep together? Why do molecules in liquid keep together?

jambaugh said:
That doesn't sound right. Covaliant bonds are usually stronger than Ionic.

Nope. Ionic bonds are stronger than covalent bonds.
hsughcool.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
kalery said:
Nope. Ionic bonds are stronger than covalent bonds. [PLAIN]http://smiliesftw.com/x/hsughcool.gif[/QUOTE][/URL] [Broken]

Depends on the context - covalent bonds are superior in aqueous solutions for example - be sure to remember this when taking a biology class.

Kuahji you need to consider the different types of intermolecular attractions for each molecule - please list them for each of the molecules.

kalery said:

After doing a good bit a research, this appears to be correct in most cases. Thank you everyone who took the time to reply. ^_^

kalery said:
Nope. Ionic bonds are stronger than covalent bonds. [PLAIN]http://smiliesftw.com/x/hsughcool.gif[/QUOTE][/URL] [Broken]

Well, I was thinking of say silicon dioxide vs. say sodium silicate. In particular the covalant bond between carbons in diamond. And I seem to remember hearing the opposite of what you say many years ago when I took chemistry.

Let me ask you to name some of the weaker covalent bonds...I'm drawing a blank.

EDIT:[Well now that I think on it, metals bond covalently...and you have the full range of strengths from tungsten to mercury.
But it doesn't sit quite right in my mind to say ionic bonds are stronger in general. The hardest substances with the highest melting points are covalently bonded crystals... Diamond, Sapphire, Silicon-Carbide, etc]

Ask yourself this question - is there such a thing as an ionic molecule ? The original question pertains to intermolecular attractions between covalent molecules.

Most of you are discussing ionic compounds in a lattice and diamond itself is a network of intramolecularly bonded carbon. Both are products of intramolecular attractions and bonding.

That is be certain to note the difference between intermolecular and intramolecular phenomena. Ionic lattices would be considered an interspecies phenomena - the cation and anion species all possesses equal attractions based on the charges and the distance between the charges (with all due respect to the quantum physics perspective) unlike CH4 for example which has intramolecular covalent bonds between Carbon and Oxygen to make up the Methane molecule and intermolecular Van Der Waals attractions between the Methane molecules.

Last edited:
GTC,
I see by what you are saying that I am making a less than ideal comparison between crystiline salts and covalent crystals such as gems. Even when you consider regular lattices of e.g. metal ions and hallide ions the neighborhood weakens a specific ionic bond to some extent. Is that correct?

Anyway, I've been commenting outside the scope of the OP and should cease... thusly.

Yeah we're not really answering the OP's question however the subject that you bring up relates to it somewhat. Ionic crystals are considered to be neutral so there is no "specific ionic bond" within such crystals surrounded by higher or lower charged areas for instance. We're considering electrostatic attractions versus intramolecular covalent bonds - at the moment I'm pretty certain its the covalent crystals that would have higher melting points.

1. What is the highest melting point known to science?

The element with the highest known melting point is carbon, which has a melting point of 3,550 degrees Celsius. However, there are other compounds such as tungsten carbide, which has a melting point of 2,870 degrees Celsius, that have higher melting points than pure elements.

2. How is the melting point of a substance determined?

The melting point of a substance is determined by heating the substance and monitoring its temperature until it reaches a point where it changes from a solid to a liquid. This temperature is known as the melting point.

3. Why is it important to know the melting point of a substance?

Knowing the melting point of a substance is important for various reasons. It can help identify and characterize a substance, determine its purity, and understand its properties and behavior under different conditions. In industries such as materials science, knowing the melting point is crucial for determining the suitability and application of a substance.

4. What factors can affect the melting point of a substance?

The melting point of a substance can be affected by various factors, including the composition and purity of the substance, the pressure and atmosphere in which it is heated, and any impurities or additives present. The crystal structure and bonding of the substance can also play a role in its melting point.

5. How can one find the highest melting point for a specific substance?

To find the highest melting point for a specific substance, one can consult databases and literature on the melting points of various substances. Additionally, one can perform experiments by gradually increasing the temperature of the substance and monitoring its melting point until the highest point is reached. It is important to ensure the purity and consistency of the substance during these experiments for accurate results.