Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Member force?

1. Aug 26, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Determine all the member forces in the truss shown below, and identify tension/compression for each member.

I know there was more to what I was supposed to put here, but I really only have a terminology question. I know that I have to determine all of the reactions at any supports, but what I am confused about is if these are considered member forces. The only thing that is called a "member force" is a force that acts along the axis of the member, correct? So then support reactions are not considered member forces, right?

Thanks for any help!!

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 26, 2007 #2

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That is correct.

4. Aug 26, 2007 #3
    Okay, so member force = axial force, right?

Sorry for the really stupid questions! I am taking a continuation of a course from last year and the teacher uses different terminology, so I don't want to lose any points because of terminology.

And thank you, again!

5. Aug 27, 2007 #4

radou

Homework Helper

In the case of your truss, member force = axial force, as you stated, right.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook