1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Member force?

1. Aug 26, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Determine all the member forces in the truss shown below, and identify tension/compression for each member.

I know there was more to what I was supposed to put here, but I really only have a terminology question. I know that I have to determine all of the reactions at any supports, but what I am confused about is if these are considered member forces. The only thing that is called a "member force" is a force that acts along the axis of the member, correct? So then support reactions are not considered member forces, right?

Thanks for any help!!

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 26, 2007 #2

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That is correct.

4. Aug 26, 2007 #3
    Okay, so member force = axial force, right?

Sorry for the really stupid questions! I am taking a continuation of a course from last year and the teacher uses different terminology, so I don't want to lose any points because of terminology.

And thank you, again!

5. Aug 27, 2007 #4

radou

Homework Helper

In the case of your truss, member force = axial force, as you stated, right.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?