Member jim hardy has died

I have not met Jim Hardy on PF, but by this thread I see he was a great contributor.

My condoleances to his family and friends.

dlgoff

Science Advisor
Gold Member
Here's a little know fact about Jim. He holds a patent; US 7,177,383 B2 (Method and system for safety regulation in nuclear power regulating systems).

Abstract

A system and method for monitoring rod moving coils in nuclear power system. The system ensures that these coils are each functioning properly, and thus prevent movement of the other coils when a dysfunctional coil is detected. The method for accomplishing this monitoring is to provide constant power to all of the coils and to measure the negatively induced EMF from this induction. This level of EMF is then compared to a standard EMF. When the EMF level is below a threshold limit, which may be either preset or calculated from a variety of other variables, a signal is sent to an alarm.

I've attached a pdf file for those interested.

Attachments

Sad to hear of Jim passing. He convinced me that electricity didn't go to the ground (soil) but return to source in the utility transformers (the ground is only used as conductor). Maybe it can be applied to Life as well. Life doesn't go to the ground (6 feet under) but return to Source (of wherever we all came from). Rest in Peace Jim (in the Source or Beyond where someday we are all destined to be).
A scholarly homage paid to a noble spirit

As far as I know, Jim is the only PF'r that I actually knew "in the real world" before meeting him again here on the forums. I spent a few years at "his" plant south of Miami in the late 1980's. What a great guy, so sad when the good ones go.

As several mentioned up above, we should all take the effort to be more giving to others.

As far as I know, Jim is the only PF'r that I actually knew "in the real world" before meeting him again here on the forums. I spent a few years at "his" plant south of Miami in the late 1980's. What a great guy, so sad when the good ones go.

As several mentioned up above, we should all take the effort to be more giving to others.
What type of plant did jim hardy have south of Miami in the late 1980s?

So you met jim hardy in the 1980s and you just happened to meet him again here on physics forums? What a coincidence! Small world.

I don't think Jim ever named the nuclear plant he worked at, so I won't either. But there aren't too many to pick from in Florida. I called it "his" plant because of the way he wrote about it. Which is another lesson from Ol' Jim: when you find work you love, stick with it!

So you met jim hardy in the 1980s and you just happened to meet him again here on physics forums? What a coincidence! Small world.
Yes, what a coincidence! I was happily surprised when it finally dawned on me.

Astronuc

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
I don't think Jim ever named the nuclear plant he worked at, so I won't either. But there aren't too many to pick from in Florida. I called it "his" plant because of the way he wrote about it.
He did allude to it when he wrote, "We were without offsite power for a week. Diesels ran fine." That was in response to a comment about plant's encounter with Hurricane Andrew.

Rest in Peace.

--
lightarrow

Borek

Mentor
So sad :cry:

Despite the fact Jim was way older than me I always thought about Him as "my PF son" (yes, I know it sounds stupid). He came to PF at the time of Fukushima disaster looking for information and initially posted only in one or two related threads. I recognized Him as a "PF soul" and tried - successfully - to drag Him in. I already miss Him :frown:

dlgoff

Science Advisor
Gold Member
I recognized Him as a "PF soul" and tried - successfully - to drag Him in.
You had a little behind the scene help. :oldbiggrin:
The first time I meet Jim and Annie, face to face, was when they were returning to Arkansas from, IIRC, North Dakota. From an email conversation with Jim, inviting him to stop by, have dinner, and spend the night before continuing on home, they decided to visit me.

During their visit I learned that time Jim wasn't comfortable with the internet, but after expressing how important I thought it was for him to pass on his knowledge, and with Annie's support, he agreed to give it a try. Annie supported the idea because she believed being an active member of Physics Forums would be helpful in keeping Jim's brain sharp.

True story ...

edit: corrected spelling error

Last edited:

Wrichik Basu

Gold Member
2018 Award
During their visit I learned that time Jim wasn't comfortable with the internet, but after expressing how important I thought it was for him to pass on his knowledge, and with Anne's support, he agreed to give it a try. Anne supported the idea because she believed being an active member of Physics Forums would be helpful in keeping Jim's brain sharp.
Thanks for gifting us with a gem.

My condolences to his beloved ones. Rest in peace.

His wife just passed away recently. I wonder if that contributed. So sad.
Wouldn't surprise me at all.
Despite the fact Jim was way older than me I always thought about Him as "my PF son" (yes, I know it sounds stupid).
And he was younger than me, but not by a whole lot...

My wife's son lives in about the same area as Jim (Ozarks in Arkansas), and I had it in the back of my mind that maybe he and I could get together the next time I traveled down that way. Jim and I interacted many times here at PF. I'm really sorry to hear of his passing.

Rest in Peace, Jim Hardy! One of his posts on this forum that convinced me that a shunt-type motorcycle voltage regulator (which basically shorts out the alternator windings when charging current is not needed) does not waste power, as is commonly believed. Saved me the expense of buying a new regulator. His posts were a great resource to me and many others.