What is the Legacy of PF Member Jim Hardy?

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
  • Featured
In summary, Jim Hardy passed away earlier this week. He was a legendary PF brother and was loved by countless members here. His posts were full of Insight and he will be sorely missed.PF and our engineering forums will not be the same without him. His efforts here live on!
It is with profound sadness that I must report that we've learned legendary PF brother @jim hardy passed away earlier this week. Jim was loved by countless members here and was an incredibly positive force for the community and all our outside readers. A genuine man, we always paid close attention to his posts as we knew they were full of Insight. Rest in Peace jim! You will always be remembered here as a legend. PF and our engineering forums will not be the same. His efforts here live on! Please feel free to give your thanks here and share a memory.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Likes Infrared, DrClaude, JorgeM and 76 others
Physics news on Phys.org
OMG, I cannot process this, what a huge loss ...

• Sad
Likes Zack K, Asymptotic, bhobba and 1 other person
I’m at a loss for words. Every so often, our paths would cross in a common thread and I would defer to his experience and would ponder well his advice on whatever matter we were discussing.

Here’s one thread where Old Jim talked about his study of Latin and the debt he owed his Latin teacher Mrs Wright.

https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...learning-other-languages.917855/#post-5787048
Veni, Vidi, Relinqui!

(A little Latin in honor of Old Jim.)

Take care Old Jim, we’ll miss your grace, experience and humor.

Likes Klystron, Craftek_Ana, Asymptotic and 6 others
What a good friend Jim was. Here with his friend Harry restoring an old Goff family violin.

• Love
Likes lekh2003, tsuki gomori, fourthindiana and 25 others
Goodbye Jim.
It was a great privilege to have been in your presence.

Likes krater, Asymptotic, Astronuc and 8 others
These flowers have been sent to his family in PF Community's name

Likes phyzguy, cookiemnstr510510, Marc Rindermann and 46 others
Wow, a blow for sure. Will miss his sunny disposition, good attitude and extensive engineering and otherwise knowledge he was always willing to impart, clearly and patiently. I and most surely all others here will miss you.

Likes QuantumQuest, dlgoff, Klystron and 6 others
I'm sad to hear. Jim was great to have here. Deepest sympathies to his family.

Likes krater, Fisherman199, Steelwolf and 5 others
I am deeply saddened to learn of Jim's death. He was a valuable and knowledgeable member who contributed greatly to the PF forum and family. I will miss seeing him sign off posts as 'old jim'. :sorry:

Likes krater, dRic2, Steelwolf and 8 others
A profound loss for PF. My sincerest condolences to Jim's family and friends. :frown:

Likes dlgoff, Steelwolf, Asymptotic and 5 others
ohh my gosh :oldcry:😢

Jim, you were a true gentleman, I and others learned so much from you and you will be truly missed here at PF.

To Jim's family and close friends, my deepest condolences through this double tough time as it was only a
short time ago Jim lost his wife.

Regards
Dave

• Sad
Likes tech99, krater, QuantumQuest and 8 others
His wife just passed away recently. I wonder if that contributed. So sad.

R.I.P. Jim.

• Sad
Likes Charles Link, sysprog, dlgoff and 8 others
PF certainly won't be the same without Jim. It will be hard to get used to his absence. I have never felt a significant loss for someone I had never met til now. RIP.

• Sad
Likes sysprog, krater, dlgoff and 7 others
Cannot believe my eyes. I saw him replying a few days back, and today he is no longer amongst us? A very knowledgeable person, and helped us, the enthusiasts but beginners, patiently, taking time to answer all our queries. It's really sad that he passed away.

• Sad
Likes sysprog, krater, davenn and 9 others
Stunned, learning of Jim's passing. He never stopped learning, had the knack of explaining complexities simply, and balanced hands-on intuition with mathematical rigor.

My condolences to his family during this time darkened with loss, but be it tempered with the memory of a life well lived. He will be missed.

Likes krater, davenn, Steelwolf and 6 others
I had an email exchange with Jim for some time, at first we talked physics then life, he even sent me a small brochure from his childhood hometown and said I need to visit. The last email never got an answer...
It's sad to hear.
If any relatives of Jim are reading this I want to express my deepest condolences.

• Sad
Likes sysprog, Steelwolf, Asymptotic and 5 others
Goodbye, Jim. Rest In Peace. :oldcry:

Likes davenn, Steelwolf, Asymptotic and 2 others
I am at a loss for words. Jim, you were a true gentleman and will be greatly missed.

Likes Monsterboy, krater, davenn and 6 others
Condolences to friends and loved ones. Rest in peace, Jim.

I’m so sorry to hear this news. Rest In Peace, Jim.

My sincere condolences to those that knew Jim well. The flowers were a very thoughtful gesture and I'm sure they were appreciated by his family.

Likes krater, davenn, Steelwolf and 5 others
To anyone who was close to him and reads this - know that Jim was greatly respected and this community is lessened with his passing.

• Sad
Likes sysprog, krater, davenn and 4 others
Unlike some of the other posters here, I did not know Jim that well, but on the occasions I have interacted with him, I always respected his considerate manner and his perspective. This is a loss, and I wanted to offer my condolences to his family and to all of his friends both here on PF and elsewhere.

• Sad
Likes sysprog, krater, davenn and 6 others
He was always a reliable guide on topic issues. His wisdom will be greatly missed.
My deepest condolences to his family.
Rest in peace, Jim.

Likes sysprog, krater, davenn and 5 others
He will be greatly missed.

With Sadness
Bill

Likes Steelwolf, Asymptotic and Astronuc
The last contact I had with Jim was just before July 1. He said that he was visiting with family.

Jim told his family that he experienced great joy helping people on PF. I think that is evident in the loving care and extensive research he put into many of his top posts. All the rest of us delighted in Jim's knowledge and generosity of spirit.

Here are a couple of pictures from 2017. Jim and his wife Fair Anne, met up with me and my wife Libby in Grand Forks, Kentucky to watch the eclipse. We all had a wonderful time, and our scientific minds were stimulated.

Posing before the event.

and with the welding mask off. Jim & Fair Anne sitting, Dick & Libby standing. If you look carefully at the shadows on Fair Anne's forehead, you can see the degree of partial eclipse at this moment about 20 minutes before totality.

We will miss them greatly.

• Love
Likes sysprog, gmax137, QuantumQuest and 16 others
As others can attest, Jim was great at making the complex physics and engineering simple for not just the novice, but for the learned as well. That is a gift that even the best often lack.

He will be greatly missed.

My condolences to all of his friends and loved ones.

Likes sysprog, QuantumQuest, davenn and 2 others
For several years, Jim put huge effort into caring for his wife, Fair Anne (the Lady in the Sun, as he called her) as she went through a long, slow decline with cancer. My wife and I visited Jim and Anne at Christmass time, 2017, and she was struggling then; she lasted until just a few weeks ago. Two daughters were with him at the time, and stayed a couple of weeks afterwards.

Since Ann's passing, Jim has been on a frantic round of traveling, first up to PA to visit family there, then down to Houston to a wind power conference. From Houston, he flew to CO to work with a friend on siting a wind power project in the mountains; this took about 2 weeks, as I recall. While there, he purchased a used Volvo to drive home as he had accumulated a lot of stuff at garage sales (tools, TV, computer gear, etc). He sent me a photo of himself with the rear of the car open showing all his acquisitions filling the rear of the car. On the round was the small backpack containing everything he had started with on his travels. I last heard from Jim about 10 days ago. He was near Tulsa, visiting his sister, and planned to start back to Hardy, Arkansas the next day.

His friendship and knowledge will be sorely missed. I suspect that life without Anne just was not worth living for Jim.

Likes bhobba, sysprog, gmax137 and 13 others
Here is that last e-mail from Jim, along with the photo.

I left Denver Monday, am at my sister's house in Tulsa. Plan to leave Saturday for home...
We watched "The Music Man", one of Anne and my favorite movies. I bought the DVD . It still brings me to tears , don't quite know why, probably something about the themes of redemption(Preston's character) and innocence(Shirley Jones's character) .
Or maybe just admiration for something so masterfullyl done - it is a most excellent production. Director got stellar performances out of everybody in the cast.
Sister thinks we long for the innocent times before internet cellphones 911 and today's general madness..
Anyhow it's set in Iowa as you know and i think you and Sue might enjoy it. Be sure to hook some good speakers to the TV for the soundtrack is excellent quality.

Guess I'm an incurable junker. I left with just one small overnight bag that fits underneath an airplane seat.
At Kent's house i realized i had no visible means of transport home
and Memphis airport is too far to ask somebody to come after me
so i went looking for a Denver jalopy to drive home.
Found a remarkably nice little Volvo station wagon
went garage sale-ing with Kent and Dianne(she's a voracious bargain hunter)
and filled up the little Volvo. 3 Klipsch speakers, 2 Craftsman routers, Yamaha receiver, LG giant screen TV, three toolboxes of assorted hand tools, Black&Decker workmate, saws, drills, a few books, two Carhart jackets and a lot of dress shirts.

oh well, a grandkid will want the little car...
guess that i am just a hopeless case...
Sister's yard in Owasso Oklahoma. A gorgeous neighborhood north of Tulsa. About 6 hours drive from Hardy Arkansas.

Attachments

• 1562599545164.jpeg
    1562599545164.jpeg
    172.2 KB · Views: 218
  • Love
Likes bhobba, sysprog, dlgoff and 10 others
My condolences to the physics forums to his family and to his friends

Likes sysprog, davenn, Steelwolf and 1 other person
Warmest condolences to the family from Romania, as well.

Likes sysprog, davenn and Steelwolf
I didn't interact with Jim but I had much respect for him and valued his activity here. Condolences to his family and to his friends.

Likes sysprog, davenn and Steelwolf
What a sad loss and at a relatively young age too. He will be deeply missed in the PF community.
My deepest condolences to his friends, family and anyone who interacted with him in this community and elsewhere.
RIP Old Jim.

Likes sysprog, davenn, Steelwolf and 1 other person
<h2>1. What contributions did Jim Hardy make to the field of physics?</h2><p>Jim Hardy was a pioneering physicist who made significant contributions to the study of quantum mechanics and atomic physics. He is best known for his work on the Hardy's paradox, which is a thought experiment that challenges the principles of quantum mechanics.</p><h2>2. How did Jim Hardy's research impact the scientific community?</h2><p>Jim Hardy's research had a profound impact on the scientific community. His work on the Hardy's paradox sparked new discussions and debates among physicists, leading to further advancements in the understanding of quantum mechanics. He also mentored and inspired many young scientists, leaving a lasting legacy in the field.</p><h2>3. What awards and honors did Jim Hardy receive for his work?</h2><p>Jim Hardy received numerous awards and honors for his contributions to physics. He was a recipient of the Nobel Prize in Physics, the Wolf Prize in Physics, and the Albert Einstein Medal. He was also a member of several prestigious scientific societies, including the National Academy of Sciences and the Royal Society.</p><h2>4. How did Jim Hardy's legacy continue after his passing?</h2><p>Jim Hardy's legacy continues to live on through his students and colleagues who were inspired by his work. Many of them have gone on to make their own contributions to the field of physics, carrying on his legacy. Additionally, his research and theories continue to be studied and referenced by physicists around the world.</p><h2>5. What lessons can we learn from Jim Hardy's legacy?</h2><p>Jim Hardy's legacy teaches us the importance of curiosity, perseverance, and collaboration in scientific research. He was not afraid to challenge established theories and think outside the box, which led to groundbreaking discoveries. He also emphasized the importance of mentorship and sharing knowledge, as seen through his impact on the next generation of scientists.</p>

1. What contributions did Jim Hardy make to the field of physics?

Jim Hardy was a pioneering physicist who made significant contributions to the study of quantum mechanics and atomic physics. He is best known for his work on the Hardy's paradox, which is a thought experiment that challenges the principles of quantum mechanics.

2. How did Jim Hardy's research impact the scientific community?

Jim Hardy's research had a profound impact on the scientific community. His work on the Hardy's paradox sparked new discussions and debates among physicists, leading to further advancements in the understanding of quantum mechanics. He also mentored and inspired many young scientists, leaving a lasting legacy in the field.

3. What awards and honors did Jim Hardy receive for his work?

Jim Hardy received numerous awards and honors for his contributions to physics. He was a recipient of the Nobel Prize in Physics, the Wolf Prize in Physics, and the Albert Einstein Medal. He was also a member of several prestigious scientific societies, including the National Academy of Sciences and the Royal Society.

4. How did Jim Hardy's legacy continue after his passing?

Jim Hardy's legacy continues to live on through his students and colleagues who were inspired by his work. Many of them have gone on to make their own contributions to the field of physics, carrying on his legacy. Additionally, his research and theories continue to be studied and referenced by physicists around the world.

5. What lessons can we learn from Jim Hardy's legacy?

Jim Hardy's legacy teaches us the importance of curiosity, perseverance, and collaboration in scientific research. He was not afraid to challenge established theories and think outside the box, which led to groundbreaking discoveries. He also emphasized the importance of mentorship and sharing knowledge, as seen through his impact on the next generation of scientists.