What is the Legacy of PF Member Jim Hardy?

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
  • Featured
In summary, Jim Hardy passed away earlier this week. He was a legendary PF brother and was loved by countless members here. His posts were full of Insight and he will be sorely missed.PF and our engineering forums will not be the same without him. His efforts here live on!
I have only just read about Jim's death. I am shattered. He was such a lovely man; helpful, enthusiastic and very human. PF will not be the same without him.
My heartfelt condolences to his family and friends.

Likes krater, cnh1995, Klystron and 4 others
Physics news on Phys.org
No way, this is so sad, he has helped me with numerous posts on here. I hope he rests in peace.

Thank you @Greg Bernhardt for sending condolences on behalf of us here at PF.

Likes sysprog and Wrichik Basu
I'm as deeply sadly shocked as everyone else. I remember having read his posts in that thread: https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/okay-to-twist-thermocouple-wires.793193/ which impacted me, and more recently that he was a bit reticient (if I remember well) to transition from Windows to Linux. Too bad I haven't had the chance to meet him in "real life". When a good, full of experience and knowledgeable man passes away, it hurts a lot.

Likes Astronuc, krater, sysprog and 2 others
We had a great email exchange long time ago. Deeply saddened to know of his dead. He was a good guy.

• Sad
Likes Wrichik Basu, sysprog and Charles Link
Old Jim faced mortality bravely -- and he kept helping and learning and teaching throughout his days -- he was and is a true exemplar . . .

Likes QuantumQuest, Charles Link and Wrichik Basu
I have not met Jim Hardy on PF, but by this thread I see he was a great contributor.

My condoleances to his family and friends.

Likes sysprog
Here's a little know fact about Jim. He holds a patent; US 7,177,383 B2 (Method and system for safety regulation in nuclear power regulating systems).

Abstract

A system and method for monitoring rod moving coils in nuclear power system. The system ensures that these coils are each functioning properly, and thus prevent movement of the other coils when a dysfunctional coil is detected. The method for accomplishing this monitoring is to provide constant power to all of the coils and to measure the negatively induced EMF from this induction. This level of EMF is then compared to a standard EMF. When the EMF level is below a threshold limit, which may be either preset or calculated from a variety of other variables, a signal is sent to an alarm.

I've attached a pdf file for those interested.

Attachments

• US7177383.pdf
    1,017.6 KB · Views: 186
  • Love
Likes cnh1995, DennisN, Asymptotic and 9 others
Wrichik Basu said:
Reminds me of Tennyson's poem Crossing the bar:
Wonderful words to pay homage

Likes Wrichik Basu
lucas_ said:
Sad to hear of Jim passing. He convinced me that electricity didn't go to the ground (soil) but return to source in the utility transformers (the ground is only used as conductor). Maybe it can be applied to Life as well. Life doesn't go to the ground (6 feet under) but return to Source (of wherever we all came from). Rest in Peace Jim (in the Source or Beyond where someday we are all destined to be).
A scholarly homage paid to a noble spirit

Likes Asymptotic and sysprog
As far as I know, Jim is the only PF'r that I actually knew "in the real world" before meeting him again here on the forums. I spent a few years at "his" plant south of Miami in the late 1980's. What a great guy, so sad when the good ones go.

As several mentioned up above, we should all take the effort to be more giving to others.

Likes DennisN, Charles Link, Astronuc and 4 others
dlgoff said:
What a good friend Jim was. Here with his friend Harry restoring an old Goff family violin.

View attachment 246266
Which was jim hardy?

fourthindiana said:
Which was jim hardy?
I think that Jim's the guy on the right (with the hat).

sysprog said:
I think that Jim's the guy on the right (with the hat).

That's correct.

gmax137 said:
As far as I know, Jim is the only PF'r that I actually knew "in the real world" before meeting him again here on the forums. I spent a few years at "his" plant south of Miami in the late 1980's. What a great guy, so sad when the good ones go.

As several mentioned up above, we should all take the effort to be more giving to others.

What type of plant did jim hardy have south of Miami in the late 1980s?

So you met jim hardy in the 1980s and you just happened to meet him again here on physics forums? What a coincidence! Small world.

I don't think Jim ever named the nuclear plant he worked at, so I won't either. But there aren't too many to pick from in Florida. I called it "his" plant because of the way he wrote about it. Which is another lesson from Ol' Jim: when you find work you love, stick with it!

So you met jim hardy in the 1980s and you just happened to meet him again here on physics forums? What a coincidence! Small world.

Yes, what a coincidence! I was happily surprised when it finally dawned on me.

Likes Asymptotic, Charles Link, Astronuc and 1 other person
gmax137 said:
I don't think Jim ever named the nuclear plant he worked at, so I won't either. But there aren't too many to pick from in Florida. I called it "his" plant because of the way he wrote about it.
He did allude to it when he wrote, "We were without offsite power for a week. Diesels ran fine." That was in response to a comment about plant's encounter with Hurricane Andrew.

Likes Asymptotic, Charles Link and Dr.D
fourthindiana said:
Which was jim hardy?
The man on the right.

Rest in Peace.

--
lightarrow

So sad :cry:

Despite the fact Jim was way older than me I always thought about Him as "my PF son" (yes, I know it sounds stupid). He came to PF at the time of Fukushima disaster looking for information and initially posted only in one or two related threads. I recognized Him as a "PF soul" and tried - successfully - to drag Him in. I already miss Him :frown:

Likes DennisN, Astronuc, Asymptotic and 4 others
Borek said:
I recognized Him as a "PF soul" and tried - successfully - to drag Him in.
You had a little behind the scene help. :oldbiggrin:
The first time I meet Jim and Annie, face to face, was when they were returning to Arkansas from, IIRC, North Dakota. From an email conversation with Jim, inviting him to stop by, have dinner, and spend the night before continuing on home, they decided to visit me.

During their visit I learned that time Jim wasn't comfortable with the internet, but after expressing how important I thought it was for him to pass on his knowledge, and with Annie's support, he agreed to give it a try. Annie supported the idea because she believed being an active member of Physics Forums would be helpful in keeping Jim's brain sharp.

True story ...

edit: corrected spelling error

Last edited:
  • Love
Likes PhDeezNutz, cnh1995, OmCheeto and 9 others
dlgoff said:
During their visit I learned that time Jim wasn't comfortable with the internet, but after expressing how important I thought it was for him to pass on his knowledge, and with Anne's support, he agreed to give it a try. Anne supported the idea because she believed being an active member of Physics Forums would be helpful in keeping Jim's brain sharp.
Thanks for gifting us with a gem.

Likes Charles Link, sysprog, jedishrfu and 1 other person
My condolences to his beloved ones. Rest in peace.

Evo said:
His wife just passed away recently. I wonder if that contributed. So sad.
Wouldn't surprise me at all.
Borek said:
Despite the fact Jim was way older than me I always thought about Him as "my PF son" (yes, I know it sounds stupid).
And he was younger than me, but not by a whole lot...

My wife's son lives in about the same area as Jim (Ozarks in Arkansas), and I had it in the back of my mind that maybe he and I could get together the next time I traveled down that way. Jim and I interacted many times here at PF. I'm really sorry to hear of his passing.

Likes Astronuc, Asymptotic, Charles Link and 1 other person
Rest in Peace, Jim Hardy! One of his posts on this forum that convinced me that a shunt-type motorcycle voltage regulator (which basically shorts out the alternator windings when charging current is not needed) does not waste power, as is commonly believed. Saved me the expense of buying a new regulator. His posts were a great resource to me and many others.

Likes Astronuc, jedishrfu, Asymptotic and 1 other person
Sorry to hear.. While I haven't been around here much, I do remember his posts and helpfulness... In another unrelated forum there was a similar character who passed away recently as well... Always leaves a bit of a hole.

Greg Bernhardt said:
It is with profound sadness that I must report that we've learned legendary PF brother @jim hardy passed away earlier this week. Jim was loved by countless members here and was an incredibly positive force for the community and all our outside readers. A genuine man, we always paid close attention to his posts as we knew they were full of Insight. Rest in Peace jim! You will always be remembered here as a legend. PF and our engineering forums will not be the same. His efforts here live on! Please feel free to give your thanks here and share a memory.
Very sorry to hear this

Here's another little know fact about Jim. He was involved in a wind energy facility; http://www.clearcreekpower.com/

Clear Creek.gif

Likes berkeman, Charles Link, Borg and 2 others
Greg Bernhardt said:
Has anyone linked to his interview?
He gave an awesome interview; so brilliant.
But he never mentioned his political affiliation :olduhh: ... however he did gave me a hint on his and his wife's first visit. He picked this up on their trip here and handed it to me when he came through the door.

JimsParty.jpg

• Haha
Likes OmCheeto and Charles Link
dlgoff said:
this up on their trip here and handed it to me when he came through the door.
..., 'bout what I'd have expected from him from assorted PMs.

'bout what I'd have expected from him from assorted PMs.

He was a character. Loved the man.

He loved classical music but on one evening during his visit, I had him watch a 2 hour DVD of a Pink Floyd live concert I recorder from the internet (very good picture and sound quality). It didn't change his love for classical, but I think he saw the talent of the band and enjoyed the show.

Likes Mondayman
gmax137 said:
I don't think Jim ever named the nuclear plant he worked at, so I won't either.
I won't either but here's a picture of his plant.
I know this is a little late, but I can't stop thinking about him.

[Mentor Note -- photo deleted because of facility identifying information]

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes bhobba, hutchphd, Astronuc and 7 others
I wonder what he would have thought about Switched on Bach or the Well Tempored Clavier by Wendy Carlos.

They were classical music with a twist.

Likes bhobba and dlgoff
@Jim was a nice man. We never met in life yet after exchanging emails we spoke like if we would have known one another for a long time, almost like if we had worked together.
One could say that is humility , and he was humble, a rare quality these days.
He mailed me a bunch of brochures about his favorite places in the US, some near his home. I put them away in hopes of one day visiting them, not long after I heard he had passed away.
I still plan on visiting those places even though, sadly without him.

But I can't say I will do that 100% because this being a scientific forum I must say that in life much like in science everything that has not yet happened has a probability distribution, it's never zero and it's never 100%.

Likes atyy, jedishrfu, berkeman and 4 others