Polish Member List: Is It Still Around?

• Thread starter Drakkith
  • Start date
Drakkith
Mentor
Is the member list still around? I remember I used to get to it from my user page by clicking on my name or something like that, but it doesn't work anymore.

Physics news on Phys.org
dlgoff said:
That's not the member list, that's an old outdated list of mentors and SA's & HH's. Outdated as in it doesn't reflect which SAs and HHs are retired.

Last edited:
Evo said:
That's not the member list, that's an old outdated list of mentors and SA's & HH's.
Oh yea. Sorry about that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Drakkith said:
Is the member list still around?

No, it was switched off some time ago.

Evo said:
that's an old outdated list of mentors and SA's & HH's.

I don't see anything outdated on the list, but perhaps I am missing something.

There is some strange bug that makes me show twice, but it has been this way for moths.

While some of the SA & HH listed are long inactive, they were never stripped of their titles.

Evo said:
That's not the member list, that's an old outdated list of mentors SA's & HH's.
The forum generates this list based on user groups, it is always up-to-date.

@Borek: You are listed as administrator and moderator of other sciences at the same time.

mfb said:
@Borek: You are listed as administrator and moderator of other sciences at the same time.

I know, but it doesn't explain why Astro is listed as an Admin only. At some point Greg moved us both from the Mentor list to the Admin list and we were listed only there. Apparently he did some later changes. Perhaps the idea is that there are two people assigned to particular forum moderation, and Engineering has berkeman and Russ (so no need to list a third person), while without me there would be only Ryan in Other Sciences.

Borek said:
At some point Greg moved us both from the Mentor list to the Admin list and we were listed only there. Apparently he did some later changes.
Are you sure you weren't listed twice from the move? IIRC, I looked at the list just after you were promotion and you were listed twice then.

The way I remember it there were no blues on the Mentors list.

Borek said:
The way I remember it there were no blues on the Mentors list.
But you are our chemistry mentor. You are still mentor on top of the additional IT admin duties, so you're wearing two sets of hair. :tongue: In other words, you are being recognized for being both.

Last edited:
Borek said:
I don't see anything outdated on the list, but perhaps I am missing something.

There is some strange bug that makes me show twice, but it has been this way for moths.

Perhaps the bug is to lure the moths away from the real you?

Just in case - some spare n's in case I will miss them in my other posts: nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn.

I wonder if LCKurtz would have spelled it correctly in Polish. Heck, I wouldn't even be able to pronounce miesiąc. :approve:

I am not convinced I am able to pronounce month. Up to now I thought I can at least spell it.

dlgoff said:
I wonder if LCKurtz would have spelled it correctly in Polish. Heck, I wouldn't even be able to pronounce miesiąc. :approve:

Not only can't I pronounce that, I can't even type it. But enough of that. The billiards hall beckons...

dlgoff said:

LCKurtz said:
Not only can't I pronounce that, I can't even type it. But enough of that. The billiards hall beckons...

I would guess that it's pronounce something like "myess'-yets". It seems not too far from the Russian equivalent - месец

Mark44 said:
I would guess that it's pronounce something like "myess'-yets".

No help. You got a .wav file maybe?

Try http://www.ivona.com/pl/ - just copy/paste miesiąc into the edit field (top left) and click PLAY. Choose Jacek, girls are slightly lisping (incorrectly pronouncing the last sound) and Jan doesn't sound natural for me.

Awesome.

dlgoff said:
Heck, I wouldn't even be able to pronounce miesiąc. :approve:

We have several Polish engineers at work (there's a Polish community that started in WWII and is still going strong). One of them is just called "Alex Unpronounceable" - and he's also unspellable.

But most of the names are easy enough to pronounce, once you know which 75% of the consonants to ignore.

AlephZero said:
One of them is just called "Alex Unpronounceable" - and he's also unspellable.

You made me curious. But yes, some of Polish names can be challenging.

But most of the names are easy enough to pronounce, once you know which 75% of the consonants to ignore.

Don't get me started on English pronunciation. Compared Polish is a transparent language (which means same combinations of letters are always pronounced the same way; that's not true, but at least you will be easily understood if you would follow this approach).

Hmmm... why did the title of my thread have "in polish" added in?

Drakkith said:
Because the site will be getting a name change to Polish Forums? :rolleyes:

dlgoff said:
Because the site will be getting a name change to Polish Forums? :rolleyes:

I quit.

Drakkith said:

To give it a more polished appearence?

...illustrating Borek's point about English pronunciation.

Last edited:
AlephZero said:
We have several Polish engineers at work (there's a Polish community that started in WWII and is still going strong). One of them is just called "Alex Unpronounceable" - and he's also unspellable.

When I watched the World Series a couple of years ago, the St. Louis Cardinals had a pitcher named Marc Rzepczynski. Previously he played for Toronto, where someone gave him the nickname "Scrabble." :tongue2:

(I missed him in this year's Series. Looks like he was traded to Cleveland.)

1. What is the Polish Member List?

The Polish Member List is a database that was created by the Polish government in the 1940s to track individuals who were members of political parties or organizations deemed to be a threat to the state. It was used as a form of surveillance and control over the population.

2. Is the Polish Member List still in use today?

No, the Polish Member List was officially disbanded in 1990 when Poland transitioned to a democratic government. However, there is evidence that some elements of the list may still be used by certain government agencies for investigative purposes.

3. How did someone's name end up on the Polish Member List?

Individuals were added to the list if they were suspected of being a member of a political party or organization that the government deemed to be a threat. This could include opposition groups, religious organizations, or other perceived enemies of the state.

4. Can someone have their name removed from the Polish Member List?

Yes, after the list was disbanded in 1990, individuals had the opportunity to request to have their name removed from the list. However, it is unclear how many requests were actually granted, and there may still be some individuals on the list who were never able to have their name removed.

5. Are there any records from the Polish Member List that are publicly accessible?

No, the list and its records were kept confidential by the government and were not made available to the public. However, there have been efforts to declassify and make the records accessible for historical and research purposes.