View Member Profile Without Posts | 65 Characters Max

• Thread starter DaveC426913
  • Start date
In summary, clicking on a member's name in a thread will take you to their public profile. There is no way to check user number for someone with no posts through the standard user interface.
DaveC426913
Gold Member
How might one hit another member's public profile?

Obviously, just click on their name in any thread they posted. There's a link to the member's public profile.So... what about a member who has not made any posts yet?

Physics news on Phys.org
DaveC426913 said:
How might one hit another member's public profile?

Obviously, just click on their name in any thread they posted. There's a link to the member's public profile.

So... what about a member who has not made any posts yet?
You won't be able to, they have to show up somewhere on the forum.

That may be so (I'll take your word for it), but you certain don't need to find a post to find a profile. Click on your own profile, and up top you'll see:

physics forums > member list

Click on member list, and you have it either by letter or there is a search box.

PAllen said:
That may be so (I'll take your word for it), but you certain don't need to find a post to find a profile. Click on your own profile, and up top you'll see:

physics forums > member list

Click on member list, and you have it either by letter or there is a search box.
There it is! I knew it was somewhere!

One of the small complaints I have with vBulletin is that stuff can be hard to find.

OK, that's interesting. They're not listed there either.

Perhaps members don't appear on that list until they've made at least one post. I know the member is in the system because their name shows up as in the auto-complete suggestion list of the search (though the search finds no posts).

DaveC426913 said:
OK, that's interesting. They're not listed there either.

Perhaps members don't appear on that list until they've made at least one post.

It varies, but yes

You can see their page if you know the user number. But as far as I can tell there is no way to check user number for someone with no posts through the standard user interface (that is, not using tools that only Mentors and Admins can use).

DaveC426913 said:
I know the member is in the system because their name shows up as in the auto-complete suggestion list of the search

Have you tried clicking on that instance of his/her name? I don't know whether or not that is even possible, let alone effective, but it might be worth a shot.

Danger said:
Have you tried clicking on that instance of his/her name? I don't know whether or not that is even possible, let alone effective, but it might be worth a shot.
The purpose of the auto-suggestion is that, when you click on the name in the list, it populates the search field. Now your only option is to click the Search Now button. Which of course turns up no posts.

:frown:

What is "View Member Profile Without Posts | 65 Characters Max"?

"View Member Profile Without Posts | 65 Characters Max" is a feature on certain websites or forums that allows users to view a member's profile without seeing their posts. This feature is usually limited to only showing the first 65 characters of the member's post.

Why would someone want to use "View Member Profile Without Posts | 65 Characters Max"?

There are a few reasons why someone might want to use this feature. One reason could be to quickly get information about a member without having to scroll through their posts. Another reason could be to avoid seeing any potentially triggering or offensive content that the member may have posted.

How does "View Member Profile Without Posts | 65 Characters Max" work?

The exact workings of this feature may vary depending on the website or forum, but typically it involves hiding or limiting the visibility of the member's posts while still displaying their profile information. This can be achieved through coding or settings on the website.

Is "View Member Profile Without Posts | 65 Characters Max" a default feature on all websites or forums?

No, this feature is not a default on all websites or forums. It is up to the website or forum creator to include this feature and determine how it works.

Are there any limitations or restrictions to using "View Member Profile Without Posts | 65 Characters Max"?

As with any feature, there may be limitations or restrictions. For example, some websites may only allow this feature for certain user groups or may limit the number of characters that can be viewed in a member's posts. It is important to check the website's terms of use or guidelines for any restrictions.