What to Do When PF Members Disappear?

• Suggestion
  • Thread starter LCKurtz
  • Start date
In summary, Don made a request to his daughter to let members know when he passes on, in case anyone cared.
LCKurtz
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
Periodically we see an announcement that one of our members has passed on. I have often wondered how anyone would know that, given the anonymity that is encouraged here. Think about yourself -- if you passed away suddenly, would anyone you know post a message about that to PF? Would any of your local acquaintances even know what PF is? One reason I am posting this is, as an example, that I have noticed HallsOfIvy has been absent for several months. I don't know him personally and have no idea whether he has lost interest, been banned, is ill, or deceased. There are others I can think of in the same situation.
So I am wondering if there is some way for you, @Greg Bernhardt, to flag members who disappear for an extended period of time, and do an email followup for a health-and-welfare check.

Likes phinds
Physics news on Phys.org
With a large member base it's difficult to do this, but I do often check in on past highly active members who have disappeared. In the case of @HallsofIvy he is alive and well, but just moved on. We also have an automatic email if a member hasn't returned in 3 months. Many times for old active members their email addresses are no longer valid.

LCKurtz said:
Periodically we see an announcement that one of our members has passed on. I have often wondered how anyone would know that, given the anonymity that is encouraged here.

While most members are anonymous, a few of us are not, at least, not to a few other members that we have either met, or have been in contact outside of PF. Certainly, the Mentors and the Admins have other means of contacting or checking-up on one another, and long-time members also have other contact info beyond just anonymous e-mail.

In some cases, the family members of a member that has passed away may contact the forum directly, such as in the case of adrilno.

Zz.

arildno

ZapperZ said:
In some cases, the family members of a member that has passed away may contact the forum directly, ...
I made a point/request to my daughter to let members here know when I pass. In case anyone here really cares. :olduhh:

Likes Greg Bernhardt and davenn
dlgoff said:
I made a point/request to my daughter to let members here know when I pass. In case anyone here really cares. :olduhh:

we all love you and would miss youD

Likes dlgoff and Greg Bernhardt
But that is a good idea, Don
making family members aware of your presence on the forum(s) you belong to so that they could post something would save a lot of worry
Of course that may not happen till those family members have had time recover a little from the initial grief ... patience and soft steps

Likes dlgoff

1. What is the most common reason for PF members disappearing?

The most common reason for PF members disappearing is that they have lost interest in the project or no longer have the time to participate. Other reasons may include personal issues or conflicts within the group.

2. How can I prevent PF members from disappearing?

To prevent PF members from disappearing, it is important to have clear communication and expectations from the beginning. Regular check-ins and updates on the project can also help keep members engaged. Additionally, creating a positive and inclusive team culture can encourage members to stay committed.

3. What should I do if a PF member suddenly disappears?

If a PF member suddenly disappears, it is important to reach out to them and try to understand the reason for their absence. If they are no longer able to participate, it may be necessary to find a replacement or redistribute their tasks among the remaining members. It is also important to assess the impact of their absence on the project and make adjustments if needed.

4. Is it okay to remove a PF member who has disappeared without notice?

Removing a PF member should be a last resort, especially if they have been a valuable member of the team. If a member has disappeared without notice, it is important to reach out to them first and try to understand the reason for their absence. If there is no response or they are unable to continue, it may be necessary to remove them from the project.

5. How can I address the issue of PF members disappearing with my team?

It is important to have open and honest communication with your team about the issue of members disappearing. Discuss the impact of absences on the project and brainstorm ways to prevent it from happening in the future. It may also be helpful to have a contingency plan in case a member does disappear. Creating a supportive and understanding team environment can also help prevent members from disappearing.