Member's Photos suggestion

• Thread starter Clausius2
  • Start date
In summary, tribdog suggests creating an album or archive for the member photos, and chroot suggests linking to attachments instead of the entire thread.
Clausius2
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Why not translating the photographs of the Member Photo Thread to some place in which we can look and search the photos of any member?.

As we have a member profile sheet those personal photographs could be attached to it (they would occupy the same memory volume than now).

Another possibility would be to create an archive in which anyone could search for any member photograph.

I say this because it is beginning to be bored to search one by one in the huge Member photo thread.

What do you think?

Physics news on Phys.org
great idea

marlon

Is the ability to add a profile picture something that is restricted to contributors? I don't mean avatars, but in the profile, you can add another picture. That would be a nice place for members to post their pictures so we can see their faces when we look them up. If that's restricted to contributors, maybe we can open that one up to the general membership, since it's really nice for everyone to be able to put a face to a name when the member is willing to share that.

Otherwise, I agree we could use some sort of photo album or some such thing for the photos in that thread, perhaps even with a limit of just the most recent for any given member so it doesn't get too big. There's just too much commentary between photos in the member photo thread to be able to search for photos in it anymore, despite tribdog's valiant efforts at consolidating a lot of the old ones into one post...especially since that post is already long buried.

What tribdog did was great. It would be nice to have an easy way to find pictures.

Moonbear said:
Is the ability to add a profile picture something that is restricted to contributors? .

I am not a contributor and I cannot add any photo to my profile.

Neither can I

marlon

...Then?

Clausius2 said:
I am not a contributor and I cannot add any photo to my profile.

I think it would be nice if all members had that option, not just contributors. It's not even a perk mentioned of contributorship anywhere, so it sure isn't going to be the thing to lure people into contributing. People who don't want to put up a photo can leave it blank. That's not going to link us to all the funny PhotoShop altered photos in the member photo thread, but at least it gives us a chance to see who it is we're talking to if people want to share that. We should show the world that physicists and other scientists can be good looking! :biggrin:

It would be great to have a member photo gallery...

If you guys really want it, I can make a sticky to list all of the member photos alphabetically.

Tribdog already did most of the work, I would just need to add to it and keep it current.

But it "would" be a lot of work, and "would" take a lot of time. :wink: But if that's what you really want, I'm willing to make the sacrifice. :rolleyes:

chroot, would linking to the attachments take up bandwidth? Is there a better way to do it?

Evo said:
If you guys really want it, I can make a sticky to list all of the member photos alphabetically.

Tribdog already did most of the work, I would just need to add to it and keep it current.

But it "would" be a lot of work, and "would" take a lot of time. :wink: But if that's what you really want, I'm willing to make the sacrifice. :rolleyes:

chroot, would linking to the attachments take up bandwidth? Is there a better way to do it?

You're a great woman. Anyway, I haven't seen any PF admin over here. We don't know their opinion.

i know what picture i will take...

:)

marlon

Evo said:

That would be great if it's a locked sticky that only a mentor can update (to keep the banter out).

Will someone get chroot in here already! There might be an easier way than creating a sticky that you need to remember to manually update on a regular basis.

hey marlon your quote is incomplete :biggrin:

Confutatis maledictis,
Flammis acribus addictis:
Voca me cum benedictis.

Oro supplex et acclinis,
Cor contritum quasi cinis:
Gere curam mei finis.

cronxeh said:
hey marlon your quote is incomplete :biggrin:

Confutatis maledictis,
Flammis acribus addictis:
Voca me cum benedictis.

Oro supplex et acclinis,
Cor contritum quasi cinis:
Gere curam mei finis.

Yes i know. Then comes the Lacrimosa, then the Offertorium...and so on...But do you really want to reread an entire requiem mass ?

Maybe i should have written : "Nuntio vobis gaudium magnum : habemus papam..."
marlon

I only know a few phrases in Latin, like:
"Ave Caesar, morituri te salutant", "...Carthago esse delendam", "Gaudeamus igitur, juvenes dum sumus"
Rather embarassing, really :blushing:

arildno said:
I only know a few phrases in Latin, like:
"Ave Caesar, morituri te salutant", "...Carthago esse delendam", "Gaudeamus igitur, juvenes dum sumus"
Are you "quoting" Cato, here ? That would be Carthago delenda est !

Tut tut, arildno. And you left out poor Descartes...

but you cut out the best part!

arildno said:
"Gaudeamus igitur, juvenes dum sumus"

here is the rest :http://www.newfoundations.com/Gaudeamus.html

ps : don't worry arildno...i did not know this one either...Latin just 'makes' you look smart :rofl:

marlon

Gokul43201 said:
Are you "quoting" Cato, here ? That would be Carthago delenda est !

Tut tut, arildno. And you left out poor Descartes...
Do not tut-tut me, lest you wish not to be back-tutted:
Here's the quote, in full (my dots have been filled with the missing words (and a tiny flaw corrected)):
"Praeterea/Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam"

So tut-tut to yourself, Gokul! :biggrin:

Last edited:
Damn ! I tut-tut myself.

You see, I learned about half the Latin I know from reading Asterix...and I could have sworn that in one of the books (need to think carefully to recall which one) someone kept repeating '"Delenda est Carthago", as the great Cato said...' (not the way I said it the first time...but it took a little more prodding of my memory...haven't seen Asterix in over ten years now)

Also, I was completely unaware of the form 'esse' (for 'is', I presume ?)

Last edited:
Gokul43201 said:
You see, I learned about half the Latin I know from reading Asterix...and I could have sworn that in one of the books (need to think carefully to recall which one) someone kept repeating '"Delenda est Carthago", as the great Cato said...' (not the way I said it the first time...but it took a little more prodding of my memory...haven't seen Asterix in over ten years now)

As far as I know, you're not incorrect here. When I took Latin in high school, "Carthago delenda est!" was one of those famous Latin phrases the teacher drilled into our skulls. See also here: link

Also, I was completely unaware of the form 'esse' (for 'is', I presume ?)

Esse is the infinitive, 'to be.'

hypnagogue said:
As far as I know, you're not incorrect here. When I took Latin in high school, "Carthago delenda est!" was one of those famous Latin phrases the teacher drilled into our skulls. See also here: link

Esse is the infinitive, 'to be.'
A tiny tut to you, hypnagogue:
.."Praetera censeo Carthaginem esse delendam" means something like "(As an aside/Another issue is that) I think/hold that Carthago ought TO BE destroyed"
(I know how to translate praetera into Norwegion, but not into English)
So, yes, "esse" is infinitive, but I think the grammatical structure here is called "conjunctive" (or something like that.. :blushing: )

Last edited:
Tut-tut this:

"För övrigt tycker jag att Carthago borde förstöras". That's what I remember from Asterix in Swedish. But wouldn't "för övrigt" (=Praetera), be something like "btw" in english?

Oh, dear: "by the way"
TUT-TUT-TUT-TUT-TUT-TUT-TUT-TUT to myself..:blushing: :cry: :blushing: :redface:

"Alea jacta est." :approve: - But it's interesting, "by the way" is a figure of speach, while "för övrigt" isn't. Still, they are used for the same purpouse.

Oh, it's not like I know what I'm talking about. :uhh:

I've decided to try and avoid learning Latin as most of the college mottos sound less impressive when translated into English :rofl: Just kidding folks :biggrin:

Gokul43201 said:
someone kept repeating '"Delenda est Carthago", as the great Cato said...'

The SF club that I used to belong to in Calgary was named 'DEC'. No non-member was ever told what the initials stood for, but since it hasn't existed for over 15 years, I guess I can divulge it. Just substitute 'Calgary' for 'Carthage'. :biggrin:

Last edited:

What is a "Member's Photos suggestion"?

A "Member's Photos suggestion" refers to a feature on a website or app that allows users to suggest or submit photos to be displayed on the website or app. These photos are typically related to the subject or theme of the website or app, and are usually submitted by members of the website or app's community.

How can I submit a photo for consideration on the "Member's Photos suggestion" feature?

The process for submitting a photo for consideration on the "Member's Photos suggestion" feature will vary depending on the specific website or app. Generally, there will be a button or link that says something like "Submit a Photo" or "Suggest a Photo" that you can click on to start the submission process. You may also be asked to provide some information about the photo, such as a title or description.

Are there any guidelines or restrictions for submitting photos on the "Member's Photos suggestion" feature?

Yes, most websites and apps that have a "Member's Photos suggestion" feature will have guidelines or restrictions for submitting photos. These may include size and format requirements, as well as guidelines for appropriate content. Make sure to read and follow these guidelines carefully to increase your chances of having your photo selected for display.

What happens after I submit a photo on the "Member's Photos suggestion" feature?

After you submit a photo on the "Member's Photos suggestion" feature, it will usually go through a review process before being displayed. This may involve moderation by the website or app's team to ensure that the photo meets the guidelines and is appropriate for display. If your photo is selected, it will typically be displayed for a certain period of time before being rotated out for new submissions.

Can I suggest a photo that is not mine on the "Member's Photos suggestion" feature?

This will vary depending on the specific website or app. Some may allow you to suggest a photo that is not yours, while others may only accept submissions from the original photographer or owner of the photo. Make sure to check the guidelines or terms and conditions for the "Member's Photos suggestion" feature to see if this is allowed.