Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Member's Photos suggestion

1. Apr 15, 2005 #1

Clausius2

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Why not translating the photographs of the Member Photo Thread to some place in which we can look and search the photos of any member?.

As we have a member profile sheet those personal photographs could be attached to it (they would occupy the same memory volume than now).

Another possibility would be to create an archive in which anyone could search for any member photograph.

I say this because it is beginning to be bored to search one by one in the huge Member photo thread.

What do you think?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 15, 2005 #2
    great idea

marlon

4. Apr 15, 2005 #3

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Is the ability to add a profile picture something that is restricted to contributors? I don't mean avatars, but in the profile, you can add another picture. That would be a nice place for members to post their pictures so we can see their faces when we look them up. If that's restricted to contributors, maybe we can open that one up to the general membership, since it's really nice for everyone to be able to put a face to a name when the member is willing to share that.

Otherwise, I agree we could use some sort of photo album or some such thing for the photos in that thread, perhaps even with a limit of just the most recent for any given member so it doesn't get too big. There's just too much commentary between photos in the member photo thread to be able to search for photos in it anymore, despite tribdog's valiant efforts at consolidating a lot of the old ones into one post...especially since that post is already long buried.

5. Apr 15, 2005 #4

Evo

Staff: Mentor

What tribdog did was great. It would be nice to have an easy way to find pictures.

6. Apr 16, 2005 #5

Clausius2

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I am not a contributor and I cannot add any photo to my profile.

7. Apr 16, 2005 #6
    Neither can I

marlon

8. Apr 18, 2005 #7

Clausius2

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

.........Then?

9. Apr 18, 2005 #8

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think it would be nice if all members had that option, not just contributors. It's not even a perk mentioned of contributorship anywhere, so it sure isn't going to be the thing to lure people into contributing. People who don't want to put up a photo can leave it blank. That's not going to link us to all the funny PhotoShop altered photos in the member photo thread, but at least it gives us a chance to see who it is we're talking to if people want to share that. We should show the world that physicists and other scientists can be good looking! :biggrin:

10. Apr 18, 2005 #9
    It would be great to have a member photo gallery...

11. Apr 18, 2005 #10

Evo

Staff: Mentor

If you guys really want it, I can make a sticky to list all of the member photos alphabetically.

Tribdog already did most of the work, I would just need to add to it and keep it current.

But it "would" be a lot of work, and "would" take a lot of time. :wink: But if that's what you really want, I'm willing to make the sacrifice. :rolleyes:

chroot, would linking to the attachments take up bandwidth? Is there a better way to do it?

12. Apr 19, 2005 #11

Clausius2

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You're a great woman. Anyway, I haven't seen any PF admin over here. We don't know their opinion.

13. Apr 19, 2005 #12
    i know what picture i will take...

:)

marlon

14. Apr 19, 2005 #13

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That would be great if it's a locked sticky that only a mentor can update (to keep the banter out).

Will someone get chroot in here already! There might be an easier way than creating a sticky that you need to remember to manually update on a regular basis.

15. Apr 19, 2005 #14

cronxeh

Gold Member

hey marlon your quote is incomplete :biggrin:

Confutatis maledictis,
    Flammis acribus addictis:
    Voca me cum benedictis.

Oro supplex et acclinis,
    Cor contritum quasi cinis:
    Gere curam mei finis.

16. Apr 26, 2005 #15
    Yes i know. Then comes the Lacrimosa, then the Offertorium...and so on...But do you really want to reread an entire requiem mass ???

Maybe i should have written : "Nuntio vobis gaudium magnum : habemus papam..."
    marlon

17. Apr 26, 2005 #16

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

I only know a few phrases in Latin, like:
    "Ave Caesar, morituri te salutant", "....Carthago esse delendam", "Gaudeamus igitur, juvenes dum sumus"
    Rather embarassing, really :blushing:

18. Apr 26, 2005 #17

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Are you "quoting" Cato, here ? That would be Carthago delenda est !!!

Tut tut, arildno. And you left out poor Descartes...

19. Apr 26, 2005 #18

cronxeh

Gold Member

but you cut out the best part!

20. Apr 26, 2005 #19

here is the rest :http://www.newfoundations.com/Gaudeamus.html

ps : don't worry arildno...i did not know this one either...Latin just 'makes' you look smart :rofl:

marlon

21. Apr 26, 2005 #20
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?