Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Members with aol accounts

1. Jul 13, 2006 #1
    are you recieving emails from pf?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 13, 2006 #2

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I suppose you mean members with aol accounts who have email notifications turned on?

4. Jul 13, 2006 #3

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

I have in the past, but not recently.

I turned off the email notification, and I usually keep my PM storage open. :biggrin:

We planning to cancel AOL soon! :grumpy: Should be fun. :rolleyes:

5. Jul 14, 2006 #4

Pengwuino

Gold Member

:O Astronuc has aol?!?!?!

But but... hes normally so impossibly smart :frown:

6. Jul 14, 2006 #5

Doc Al

Not on AOL, but still no emails from PF

FYI, I haven't received email notifications in months. (Yes, "instant notification" is still turned on; No, I don't have AOL.) I no longer get any email notifications: not for new posts in subscribed threads nor for reported posts in the forums I moderate.

Am I the only one not getting them? (I thought this was a bug that came with the last upgrade.)

In any case, I've learned to live without them just fine. (Since I'm on PF so much anyway, clicking on subscribed threads works just fine.)

7. Jul 14, 2006 #6

Pengwuino

Gold Member

I still get them

8. Jul 14, 2006 #7

nazzard

Gold Member

I have no AOL account but haven't received an email notification for new PMs either, although it is checked in my user-options. It works on other vBulletin forums I visit. The confirmation email after I registered myself here at PF was delivered though.

I have a question regarding "Email username" and "Email server" under the profile. They are referring to an "email gateway page". :confused: What is that supposed to do? :redface:

Regards,

nazzard

9. Jul 14, 2006 #8

Evo

I haven't been getting the reported posts e-mails in moths.

10. Jul 14, 2006 #9

Astronuc

:rofl: We've had AOL since about '96, back when it was reasonably better than it is now. Then we had dial up. The wife like it (it's her account), so we kept it - until it crashed on her machine and she lost some data. Hence the change.

I still have to try to recover her data. :rolleyes:

I heard recently of a class-action lawsuit against AOL. :biggrin:

I can't wait for my wife to try to cancel AOL. If they give us a hard time, I will be most certainly contacting the state Attorney General. :biggrin:

11. Jul 14, 2006 #10

wolram

Gold Member

I thought they came in packets :smile:

12. Jul 14, 2006 #11

Evo

:rofl: I'm not doing too well today.

13. Jul 14, 2006 #12
    Dear god, you use AOL? Are you MAD?????! :confused: :confused: :confused: :surprised :surprised :surprised

When we switched to Verizon a while back, the guy on the phone was like, "for only $5.00 a month you can still use AIM and your AOL email account"......I was like, or I can use aim for free, and a free email account. No thanks.

Is AOL the only ISP that you get emails for penis enlargement and breast enhancement by the dozens?

I know an elderly couple that uses AOL and gets these emails all the time. I know that they are not going to these types of websites, which only means AOL sells out their members email account addresses.....bastards

Last edited: Jul 14, 2006
  14. Jul 14, 2006 #13

Pengwuino

Gold Member

I would throw the case out. I think at this point, if you have AOL, any computer problems should be your own fault no matter whos fault it actually is :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

15. Jul 15, 2006 #14

Astronuc

I was ready to give it up along time ago.

No, the spam filter removes most before they get to the email storage on the AOL server.

Likely they have an earlier/older version of AOL. I don't think it's necessarily that AOL gives out members information, certainly not without permission. I get spammed at work, but then my work email goes out to a lot of other people. If other people are not careful, one's email address can be scattered all over the net. Then there are tracking cookies, like Bluestreak, Tribalfusion, Casalmedia, . . . . That's why anti-spyware - anti-adware is necessary.

I wonder if the AOL filter is catching PF emails?

16. Jul 15, 2006 #15

JamesU

Gold Member

Haven't you read the horror stories about cancelling an AOL account?!:surprised

back in the '90's when we had(and cancelled, because it sucked) AOL, it took at least an hour on the phone:frown:

17. Jul 15, 2006 #16

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Nah, both my hotmail and gmail accounts get those too. Of course, both have fairly good spam filters, so they all wind up in the junk mailboxes.

I'm guessing that's the point of this thread, even though it wasn't explained. AOL has a nasty habit of blocking emails from entire ISPs for no particular reason. All of our university's emails were being filtered from AOL for a while. Once they found out, it took about 3 days to straighten it out.

18. Jul 15, 2006 #17

Astronuc

Yeah, I am looking forward to the phone call. :biggrin: Maybe I'll record it for quality assurance. :rofl: :rolleyes:

19. Jul 15, 2006 #18
    You want to hear something odd, back in the day I made an msn account, before they switched over to hotmail....so my email ends in msn.com and not hotmail.com

Since I created that account, I have *NEVER* once gotten a junk email, *EVER.* I never even touched a filter setting. :biggrin:

20. Jul 16, 2006 #19
    I am not getting any emails from PF either. I don't have aol though. I use Comcast and ATT but neither of them get PF mail.

21. Jul 16, 2006 #20

nazzard

Gold Member

I'm not sure if something has been changed, but I received an email notification for a new PM a day ago for the first time (no aol-account).

Regards,

nazzard

Last edited: Jul 16, 2006
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?