Defining Membership Uniqueness in a Set X with One True Value

• Thread starter delphi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Uniqueness
In summary: I understand what you are saying, and I think using the count function or quantifiers would be the most elegant and concise way to express the uniqueness of the member in question. This way, it is clear that there is only one member in the set that satisfies the given condition, without having to introduce additional sets or properties. In summary, the conversation discusses different ways to define the uniqueness of a member in a set, with suggestions including using the count function, quantifiers, or creating a family of sets to identify the unique member. Ultimately, using the count function or quantifiers is deemed the most elegant and concise way to express this concept.
delphi
Hello All,

I am trying to define a uniqueness of a member of a set, please bear with me as my notation is not as refined as it ought to be:

For a set X:

{ x(i) } union { f(x(j)) = true, where j is not equal to i } = { x(i) }

what I am trying to say is, for this set X there exists only one member whose evaluation with f() results in true.

I am defining this by saying that the union of any element with any other element other than itself in the set who's value is true is equal to the first element, however this doesn't quite work - I almost need a count() function on the right side and say that the count() is always = 1.

Is there a more correct elegant way to say this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, you can use the "count" function. The common mathematical notation for this is |{...}| or #{...}:

[tex] \left| \{ x \in X \mid f(x) = \text{true} \} \right| = 1 [/tex]
[tex] \#\{ x \in X \mid f(x) = \text{true} \} = 1 [/tex]

Or you could use quantifiers:
[tex]\exists! x \in X: f(x) = \text{true}[/tex]
(I don't know if this is official notation, with the ! meaning "unique", but I'm pretty sure any mathematician will understand it).

Or you could write this correct-but-ugly line,
[tex]\exists x \in X: \left( f(x) = \text{true} \wedge \forall y \in X: y \neq x \implies f(x) \neq \text{true} \right) [/tex]

delphi said:
Hello All,

I'm trying to define a uniqueness of a member of a set, please bear with me as my notation is not as refined as it ought to be:

what I am trying to say is, for this set X there exists only one member whose evaluation with f() results in true.

It depends on what you mean by "uniqueness". Ir's one thing to know there's exactly one murderer in the room, and another to know which person in the room is the murderer. If you want to know who the murderer is, there needs to be some identifying property or set of properties.

This was a practical problem for me in my work. We solved the problem by creating a family of sets Ai such that each set was identified with a unique property in a way that an intersection of some of the sets contained exactly one member.

Last edited:

1. What is membership uniqueness?

Membership uniqueness refers to the concept that every member of a group or organization has a unique identity or set of characteristics that sets them apart from others.

2. Why is membership uniqueness important?

Membership uniqueness is important because it allows individuals to feel valued and recognized for their unique contributions and perspectives within a group. It also promotes diversity and inclusivity within the group.

3. How can membership uniqueness be fostered?

Membership uniqueness can be fostered by creating a welcoming and inclusive environment where individuals are encouraged to share their unique ideas and perspectives. It is also important to celebrate and recognize the diversity within the group.

4. What are the benefits of promoting membership uniqueness?

Promoting membership uniqueness can lead to a stronger and more innovative group dynamic, as individuals are able to bring their unique skills and perspectives to the table. It can also create a sense of belonging and increase overall satisfaction within the group.

5. How can membership uniqueness be balanced with group cohesion?

While promoting membership uniqueness is important, it is also necessary to balance it with group cohesion. This can be achieved by emphasizing common goals and values within the group and encouraging collaboration and teamwork. It is also important to address any conflicts or issues that may arise due to differences in membership uniqueness.