Membrane Theory: Questions & Ideas Explored

In summary, the conversation is about a person seeking help in understanding complex concepts related to black holes and their behavior. They have questions regarding the plumes of energy observed during feeding, the rotation of black holes and its effects on space-time, the possibility of combining black holes and the potential for creating an anomaly by looking between two black holes. The expert provides answers to these questions and clarifies that there is no physical membrane or fabric of reality as depicted in science fiction. They also suggest exploring related discussions on the topic for further understanding.
Grimstone
Hello. I want to start off with a simple into. I have not been to any of the classes you have. I can not go to the classes you have. and I find it odd, that when I can I strive to understand the things you all talk about. but the equations and formula's you use are Greek to me. so please, keep in mind that I am a simple man. Ether help me or don't, but please do not burn me at the stake.

I have questions that if I am to understand the concepts Mr Hawkins is talking about, I need to fill in some of the pieces.

In relation to black holes.
"nothing can escape" yet when "feeding" there are notable beams of energy from top and bottom. the beams are of gamma and other forms of energy.
1. If nothing can escape, why are the plumes there?

2. Do black holes rotate? or is it just the visual effect that man made up?

3. If a black hole does rotate, would not that have an effect on the space time fabric. (beyond the basic mass / warping of the space time)

4. I have no doubt that it has happened, it is happening now, and will happen again.
when two stars come with in a gravitational pull of each other one or the other spits/ejects/is drawn from mass from it to the other star, it is "eaten" so to speak.
When two black holes come with in reach,

A. would one of them be "fed" from? (presuming one is higher mass) or would they just combine?

B. would they spiral around until they collide? I would presume that the spiral effect would cause temporal waves as a body warps time and space.

I have further questions, but wish to see if i get a response of if I'm just ignored.
I have an idea that could allow us to puncture the membrane.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Grimstone,

Ether help me or don't, but please do not burn me at the stake.
if you seek help, you will find it here. If you want to https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=17355", you'll have to go elsewhere.

1. If nothing can escape, why are the plumes there?
They originate from outside the BH.
2. Do black holes rotate? or is it just the visual effect that man made up?
They do.
3. If a black hole does rotate, would not that have an effect on the space time fabric.
Yes. There is an effect called frame dragging or Lense-Thirring effect. Like space being dragged along by the rotating body. It seems to be important for jet formation.
A. would one of them be "fed" from? (presuming one is higher mass) or would they just combine?
They would combine. You can't dissolve a BH.
B. would they spiral around until they collide? I would presume that the spiral effect would cause temporal waves as a body warps time and space.
Yes. Inspiraling BHs should be a major source for gravity waves.
I have an idea that could allow us to puncture the membrane.
I see.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you Ich.

Gravity well that warp space time.

other than bending light so that we see the star behind the sun during a eclipse.
what if any is the other effects?

Is there a physical effect upon the space its self?

if this is a BIG IF. if you could look between two black holes, whose gravitational fields was warping the space time fields between them (I'm aware of the gravitational shear and massive gravity well.) wouldn't you find a point of area where the space time fabric is ripped or thinned enough to create an anomaly?

it would seem to me that when the fabric of reality is pulled twisted and warped, that the membrane would have to be a weakness in it.
or have I watched to much star trek? (grin)

wouldn't you find a point of area where the space time fabric is ripped or thinned enough to create an anomaly?
Not sure such metaphors as "thinned fabric of spacetime" bear any meaning. Anyway, a black hole merger is certainly one of the most violent events in the universe. That doesn't mean that spacetime curvature outside the event horizons is critical. Physics as we know it is far from breaking down there.

it would seem to me that when the fabric of reality is pulled twisted and warped, that the membrane would have to be a weakness in it.
There is no membrane. Neither is there a physical entity that I can identify with "fabric of reality".
or have I watched to much star trek?
Actually, I don't think is possible to watch too much Star Trek.
Still, I don't see where your ideas meet reality.
Maybe https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=391752" is about something similar.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is membrane theory?

Membrane theory is a scientific framework that explains the structure and function of biological membranes. It proposes that membranes are composed of a lipid bilayer with embedded proteins, and that this structure allows for selective transport of molecules and communication between cells.

2. How does membrane theory explain cellular processes?

Membrane theory explains how biological membranes play a crucial role in various cellular processes such as nutrient uptake, waste removal, and cell signaling. The selective permeability of the membrane allows for the regulation of the movement of molecules in and out of the cell, which is essential for these processes to occur.

3. What evidence supports membrane theory?

There is a wealth of evidence supporting membrane theory, including experiments that show the presence of a lipid bilayer in cell membranes, the discovery of transmembrane proteins responsible for transport, and the observation of membrane proteins involved in cell signaling. Additionally, advancements in imaging technologies have allowed for the visualization of membrane structures and their functions.

4. How does membrane theory relate to other scientific theories?

Membrane theory is closely related to other scientific theories such as the fluid mosaic model and the endosymbiotic theory. The fluid mosaic model describes the fluidity of the lipid bilayer and the mosaic-like arrangement of proteins within the membrane. The endosymbiotic theory explains the origin of eukaryotic cells and their membrane-bound organelles.

5. How is membrane theory relevant in modern research?

Membrane theory continues to be relevant in modern research as it provides a fundamental understanding of the structure and function of biological membranes. This knowledge is crucial for advancements in fields such as cell biology, biochemistry, and medicine. Researchers are also exploring new ideas and hypotheses related to membrane theory, such as the role of membrane lipids in diseases and the development of targeted drug delivery systems.